Toronto police lay nearly 3,000 tickets in motorcycle-focused road safety campaign | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto police lay nearly 3,000 tickets in motorcycle-focused road safety campaign

Well that headline is misleading. They talk about motorcycles being the focus but didn't break out the numbers of riders charged. It seems like it was just a typical traffic blitz with words about bikes for political reasons.

Agreed, it took a few paragraphs but eventually a comment was directed at the motorcyclists being the issue. If true that’s not good but more data would be helpful.

I think there has been an increase in people getting into new hobbies since the pandemic and that would account potentially as a factor here.

Seems mostly like a typical blitz with the title being about protecting the riders.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Funny how the implication in the story is that the solution to increased motorcyclist fatalities is to ticket those dangerous motorcyclists, meanwhile the most recent fatality noted involved the classic left-turner at an intersection. I'd be a lot more interested in what the police have to say about safety if they seemed to actually care about safety rather than trotting out meaningless ticketing data.

The only thing in there that does truly surprise me is that they gave out so many aggressive driving tickets compared to speeding tickets. I figured the first number would be closer to 10% of the second, not over 60%. I guess with typical Toronto gridlock, speeding is harder to do...

The only thing in there that does truly surprise me is that they gave out so many aggressive driving tickets compared to speeding tickets. I figured the first number would be closer to 10% of the second, not over 60%. I guess with typical Toronto gridlock, speeding is harder to do...
The cynic in me also wonders if police have figured out that beating an aggressive driving ticket in court is almost impossible. They arent comparing you to a measurable standard, they are presenting opinion and their word is worth more than yours in court.

When my brother was a traffic cop he would occasionally phone me to warn of a blitz. There were some bad numbers and certain areas were targeted. You could get a ticket for blinking in the wrong direction.

They also used the stats to see if a strong police presence affected non traffic crime.

Maybe coincidence but the nightly get together at Heartland was replaced by about 3 or 4 police cruisers on Friday.

But they fail to mention that most cage drivers in Toronto should take a bus because they couldn't drive there finger up there ***. I don't think I will ever travel into Toronto on 2 wheels again. Very dangerous in my opinion. People behind the wheel just have no common sense and don't pay attention to something that's very simple... I don't think 80% of drivers have ever read the drivers hand book...just saying

But they fail to mention that most cage drivers in Toronto should take a bus because they couldn't drive there finger up there ***. I don't think I will ever travel into Toronto on 2 wheels again. Very dangerous in my opinion. People behind the wheel just have no common sense and don't pay attention to something that's very simple... I don't think 80% of drivers have ever read the drivers hand book...just saying
My trip down yesterday went as expected. Bicycles on warden (riders were doing well but f me, they were constantly close to death). Dvp full of stupid. Lakeshore a complete parking lot (construction closing lanes, lambo driving straight across four lanes to make a left, motorcycle full throttle and lane splitting in core, etc).

Back
Top Bottom