Toronto Motorcycle and Powersport Show | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto Motorcycle and Powersport Show

I was kinda surprised when in 2003 I got a gig to install a new desktop computer in the work area at a buddie's Indian dealership, because customers were livid when, after they paid $1500 for a new exhaust and intake, the software update for the ECU to make it work was another $900. (I was surprised at the $900 software update).
They WERE doing the update off the cash register computer on the way out the door... takes 5 minutes.... while the customer watched. After I installed the box in the shop, they'd take the bike into the shop, stand there with their fingers up their collective noses for 45 minutes looking at the bike, do the software update in a couple of minutes, then roll the bike out... that'll be $900. No more complaints.

My local auto shop where I take my truck is less than a kilometer away. Their place is too small to keep my truck in a bay after they're done with it.

About an hour (depending on the job) after I drop it off I start flying my drone over to see if my truck is back out yet. Once I even had the drone in the sky just waiting and caught sight of them bringing it out. I got to the shop like 2 minutes later.

I honestly wish they just added it to the MSRP, and kept it honest. It’s not about the money, but the deceptive marketing/pricing practice.

That’s one of the best things about Honda I liked, you pay extra for the upspec model, but get EVERYTHING.
And its all included and the pricing is super obvious and upfront.

Ktm on the other hand, doesnt even list prices on any of their bikes online anymore :unsure:
Its no secret that KTM charges to unlock certain options,and I was well aware of the $700 charge for the tech pack.I dont see the problem,if you want you can save yourself some coin with no options.

Its no secret that KTM charges to unlock certain options,and I was well aware of the $700 charge for the tech pack.I dont see the problem,if you want you can save yourself some coin with no options.
Most peoples beef is that the hardware is already installed, you`re paying for a software unlock. That seems a bit of a slimy move.

Most peoples beef is that the hardware is already installed, you`re paying for a software unlock. That seems a bit of a slimy move.
its even worse now, all the software and modes come installed from the factory, after 1500kms it all gets deactivated and you're extorted again after paying for the bike in full🤦‍♂️

Some people are fine with it, but it rubs me the wrong way.

its even worse now, all the software and modes come installed from the factory, after 1500kms it all gets deactivated and you're extorted again after paying for the bike in full🤦‍♂️

For some, that's a whole season of riding so not such a bad deal...... lol

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some way to hack the system.

Maybe talk to the guys that steal cars if they know someone

For some, that's a whole season of riding so not such a bad deal...... lol

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some way to hack the system.

Maybe talk to the guys that steal cars if they know someone

Perhaps, but every time the bike sees the dealer (if it ever sees the dealer ...) they connect the OBD to the mothership whose database knows what's supposed to be there and whether anything's been fiddled with, and probably put it back to what they have on file. And there's a fair chance it has an oil-change reminder that won't reset unless hooked up to OBD.

If someone has hacked the ECU, the usual ECU-tuning sources for whichever brand you are talking about, will probably know how to deal with this.

I guess that depends on how they feel about paying for computer software, music, or movies.

I don't know if it gets as far as slimy, irritating, and frustrating for sure. In the end it's a one time purchase as opposed to an ongoing subscription which bothers me much more.

What I think is slimy is what BMW Motorad does. I was interested in a R1250RS and apparently their MRSP/Starting price is $18995, and that's the one I want. I prefer as little electronic fluff as possible because I feel no compunction to use it. Sadly, the don't bring ANY of those in, and the idea of ordering one is not something they seem to want to bother with. So the ACTUAL starting price is closer to $25K.

I'd argue that's deceptive and therefore slimy.

I don't know if it gets as far as slimy, irritating, and frustrating for sure. In the end it's a one time purchase as opposed to an ongoing subscription which bothers me much more.

What I think is slimy is what BMW Motorad does. I was interested in a R1250RS and apparently their MRSP/Starting price is $18995, and that's the one I want. I prefer as little electronic fluff as possible because I feel no compunction to use it. Sadly, the don't bring ANY of those in, and the idea of ordering one is not something they seem to want to bother with. So the ACTUAL starting price is closer to $25K.

They won’t let you order a basic one?

They won’t let you order a basic one?
They don't expect any availability of the base model because "everybody" wants the loaded ones.

Not the end of the world. There's other options than a bike from BMW, but I still wish Honda would bring in the NT1100.

I guess that depends on how they feel about paying for computer software, music, or movies.
been a pirate for decades..yarrrr

most confused. it's slimy because they didn't order a base model because they don't move off the floor?

you can factory order anything from BMW.

its more akin to going to a restaurant, seeing the menu, ordering a meal, eating it, paying, leaving, getting kidnapped and dragged back to the restaurant 2 weeks later, and being told to either pay more or vomit the meal.

its more akin to going to a restaurant, seeing the menu, ordering a meal, eating it, paying, leaving, getting kidnapped and dragged back to the restaurant 2 weeks later, and being told to either pay more or vomit the meal.

Well, that's completely different. If the dealership doesn't explain how the demo works or the cost to continue using those features, then that's on the dealer, not KTM. Using your analogy, blame the restaurant for false advertising, not the butcher who made the steak from the cow.

Back
Top Bottom