Toronto in August | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto in August

Delboy

Heading up to Toronto at the end of August to visit my wife's parents. Is there anywhere I could rent a bike for a few days? Would prefer a naked or an adventure.

GTA Exotics keeps popping up on Google and it seems like the have Wee Stroms which would probably be OK. Any other places I should check out?

Thanks for looking

I can't vouch for it, but riders-share.com looks interesting - people renting out their bikes to others. I found it when looking into renting in California, and seems there are bikes available in the GTA:

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Did you look into insurance? I assume you have to have your own.

Check their site for the latest, but from what I understand, they include the legal minimum for insurance and you can opt for more coverage. They do have a screening process for renters, which includes a minimum age of 21 and a background check (I believe both criminal and driving record). Not clear if you need a full M or not.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Did you look into insurance? I assume you have to have your own.

The mandatory insurance is on the bike regardless of the rider with the exception of a rider who is disqualified. If the bike owner is renting it out without informing the insurer insurance may be found void if there is a claim.

If the renting rider is injured in a crash, regardless of who is at fault, don't expect the insurer to play fair.

The mandatory insurance is on the bike regardless of the rider with the exception of a rider who is disqualified. If the bike owner is renting it out without informing the insurer insurance may be found void if there is a claim.

If the renting rider is injured in a crash, regardless of who is at fault, don't expect the insurer to play fair.

You're thinking about the owner's policy. Riders Share has a separate policy with Crum & Forster that covers both the rider and the bike, so the owner doesn't make a claim with their own insurer:

"We purchased an insurance policy from Crum & Forster that protects your bike for the duration of the rental. Every rental is covered, whether the renter chooses to purchase protection or not. Your personal policy may not work for rentals, unless it is a commercial type of insurance. On your listing, you will find a link to an insurance card. In the event of a claim, please call our insurance company, Crum & Forster, to file a claim. Bear in mind the limit on our insurance policy for damage is $15,000. You may list more expensive motorcycles than that, and in the event of a total loss accident we will bill the renter the difference. Make sure you take pics before and after each rental using the Check-in feature to ensure insurance covers you."

This doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to be an owner renting it out, but I don't see a problem with being a renter, at least not at first glance.

From the Rider Share Insurance Policy page:

As a Renter (not Owner), if you decline our protection plan, you are liable for all damage caused during the rental . Owners are ALWAYS protected by Riders Share as long as they adhere to our policies, with no deductible. Riders Share's protection plan does not apply to gear and accessories rented through Riders Share; it only applies to motorcycles. We can, however, bill renters for damaged gear to reimburse you.
PROOF OF INSURANCE

COVERAGE IS ONLY VALID INSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND IN CANADA.
The coverage, provided by Crum & Forster, is as follows:
Effective October 3rd 2018:
Renters face deductibles based on the selected coverage at check out. Owners do not.
Limit for damage/theft coverage is lowest of Actual Cash Value or $15,000; amounts exceeding that are responsibility of the Renter.
Insurance coverages are limited to require motor vehicle State Minimums, with options for higher liability insurance limits during check out. Higher liability limits help protect you from costs associated with injuries or property damage suffered by others in an accident caused by you while operating the rented motorcycle. Damage exceeding the third party liability limits are responsibility of the Renter. Coverage applies to all states in the United States and Canada EXCEPT for vehicles registered in the state of New York. Coverage does not extend outside the United States and Canada. The deductible is paid by the renter; barring that, by Riders Share; not the owner. There is no passenger insurance coverage. Disclosure: insurance does not cover all financial risk associated with any motor vehicles use.
If you have additional questions regarding the protection plan, please contact us at support@riders-share.com.
To file a claim, call the number on the insurance card that is attached to your booking. It is the same insurance card for all bookings/motorcycles. The number is (800) 690-5520. See Owner Guidelines/Renter Guidelines for instructions on how to proceed in the event of an incident.
If the insurance company does not respond immediately, please leave a voicemail and contact us at support@riders-share.com.
Insurance cards may be found in the "documents" section of your booking or trip.

It would be interesting to see the costs of a one or two day rental. While probably high if it gets something off your bucket list it may be worth it.

I often see something and react with the thought of purchasing when I really just want a ride.

Back
Top Bottom