top 10 motorcycle engines | GTAMotorcycle.com

top 10 motorcycle engines

Agreed. The article's byline reads "the greatest, most important and most innovative bike engines ever made, as we pay homage to horsepower." but I think they forgot important and innovative when they came to evaluate the winners. All the winners are horse-powerhouses. Take the BMW's K-series engine for example; it was a complete departure from anything BMW had designed up to that point in time and nothing like what any manufacturer had designed before. It bristled with leading edge automotive technology when other bikes of the time still relied on carbs, points ignition and chain drive, it was dead reliable, and it set the direction for motorcycle engine development for decades to come (fuel injection, electronic engine management, etc.) A very innovative engine but hardly any horsepower in comparison to say a Kawi K1.

"innovative bike engines ever made, as we pay homage to horsepower."

The Harley Evo is based on a hundred year old layout and design, makes 66hp from 1300cc and it's on this list?

As well, I'm pretty sure Honda's little C90 engine is a SOHC, not a pushrod motor.

Last edited:
Another disappointing top 10 list. I've almost given up on top ten lists as the last word on anything. Who compiles these lists anyway? Opinionated people? There's no room for that in journalism.

Why do all these lists these days have to have one picture and one write up per page. That could've all been on one page.

The only one I found exciting on that list was the 500cc 2 stroke. Also made me realize how pathetic the torque numbers are on most bike engines.

Why do all these lists these days have to have one picture and one write up per page. That could've all been on one page.

The only one I found exciting on that list was the 500cc 2 stroke. Also made me realize how pathetic the torque numbers are on most bike engines.
1 ad versus 10 ads?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Another disappointing top 10 list. I've almost given up on top ten lists as the last word on anything. Who compiles these lists anyway? Opinionated people? There's no room for that in journalism.

True journalism is telling the story no one wants printed, the rest is public relations

Good list of engines that helped push boundaries or save companys. Lots of other innovative engines could have been on there but it's still a solid top 10.

These type of articles are just "click bait" type of articles. You have to click through many pages because they want ADVERTISEMENTS thrown on the webpage. Yahoo and many other sites use this form of article writing. They come up with top ten lists, or "what happened next" or "you wouldnt believe this" type headings to trap people into visiting. Lots of websites are using this technique to serve more ads.

The internet can be dooshy. YMMV.

Ducati's L-Twin scoops up #1 position... Sweet!

"innovative bike engines ever made, as we pay homage to horsepower."

The Harley Evo is based on a hundred year old layout and design, makes 66hp from 1300cc and it's on this list?

As well, I'm pretty sure Honda's little C90 engine is a SOHC, not a pushrod motor.

I'd probably strike the Daytona 675 and Kawasaki Z1 motors from the list as well. Not completely sure what I'd put in the three gaps.

-Suzuki L-twin from the TL1000R?
-At least one British parallel twin, either the progenitor or the pinnacle. Norton 850 Commando?
-I'd make an argument for the 96-97 Hinckley triple, might be an uphill battle

BMW K-1000.
Reliable, low maintenance and even though it has not been made in decades there are still many on the road.
K-750 can make a similar claim.

The Honda Cub C90 engine is world renown and deserves credit. I remember seeing one on TV running on old oil from french fries. They said it had a lovely smell once started, and ran well. I'd love to have one, but a little bigger than a 90cc. The C90 gets ~198mpUSg/1.19L/100km/238mpg. I'd buy one.

Thanks for posting this top 10 list as I have now developed a deep passion for Chinese C90 knock off engines in the desirable 54x54 millimeter bore and stroke class (International standard shift). I have the perfect donor bike to slip one into. C90 Adventures on the youtube are only adding fuel to the fire.

Back
Top Bottom