Took My Bike From Storage; It's Damaged | GTAMotorcycle.com

Took My Bike From Storage; It's Damaged

Pegassus

Site Supporter
I took my bike from storage on Monday, it has a melted spot on the headlight lens. I didn't noticed it when they gave me the bike, only until I got home after a 40 min ride. To be honest I never noticed the melted spot when I gave them my bike back in November, I would had seen it, I clean the lens every ride. Should I blame them? I think they had the exhaust of another bike close to the headlight while idling.

Do you guys think it's possible that a lightbulb would melt its own plastic housing? I'm on the fence if to blame the storage guys or not. I added pics.

Attachments

• 100_0014.jpg
    100_0014.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 163
Looking at the pictures it looks like spray paint. is the damage on the inside or the outside of the lens?
Usually when plastic melts from a heat source it retains some level of clarity, very strange this it turned grey...
If you feel they are to blame, contact them right away and share your concerns in a calm and professional manner.

Your battery would die before the light melted the lens if it happened during storage. And I doubt it would happen on a 40 min ride. Did you see how it was stored and what bike was near it before they took it out?

Is it on the inside or outside? It looks like it is on the outside and if so you can probably feel it. Doesn't look like melted due to a light (and I have only seen that happen when people put in 100 watt bulbs for more bright). I thought it could be moisture but that doesn't look right. Your exhaust theory seems plausible.

I wonder if they had some other bike's exhaust pointed at your headlight.
Maybe when letting it idle for a long time it may have caused that...but hard to say since headlight get exposed to hot sun for long period of time as well.

What does it feel like if you run your fingers over it?
If it is overspray you can simply try using lube and a claybar - followed by a light polish.

Do not compound it as you don't want to remove the factory clear that helps keep the plastic from oxidizing

Looking at the pictures it looks like spray paint. is the damage on the inside or the outside of the lens?
Usually when plastic melts from a heat source it retains some level of clarity, very strange this it turned grey...
If you feel they are to blame, contact them right away and share your concerns in a calm and professional manner.
I was going to say it almost looks like some kind of chemical spray reaction

Maybe it was behind another bike that got started and ran for a while and sending exhaust heat onto your light

We aren't getting the entire story. If it were stored with a business that stores and cares for motorcycles, there is no way that they would have fired the bike up with the exhaust pointed right at the lens. If it was stored (cheaply) with a barn full of farm equipment, well good luck.

Would be crappy indeed, but to melt the light would have to be left on for a long time, Perhaps if the battery was on a tender it could do this?
But as stated if it was stored in a "professional" environment I am sure someone would notice...

Last edited:
Not accusing anyone of anything, but this damage seems consistent with images I can find of other melted plastic headlight lenses, seemingly caused by highbeams left on? There would of course be other contributing factors

Is it possible that it was stored near a window and the sun beaming through the windows melted that lens.
Unlikely but plausible.

I tend to thing that a melted lens would have the plastics deformed.
Your lens does not look deformed.

Last edited:
Agreed with what others have mentioned, that doesn't look like a melted lens. There's no distortion or trace of being exposed to high heat
It does look like spray paint, maybe try wet sanding with 2000grit and see if it comes out?

No it's not spray paint, I thought it was too when I came home. I touched it with my fingers, it's a depression and it's thinner on that spot. They must have touched it with something hot, looks like someone touched it with a torch.

@ DOWNUNDER AND GREYGHOST

They never allowed me to go in, they took it in and they took it out for me. I'm sure now it happened outside. I'm going to start looking at another lens cover, there's nothing else to do.

We aren't getting the entire story. If it were stored with a business that stores and cares for motorcycles, there is no way that they would have fired the bike up with the exhaust pointed right at the lens. If it was stored (cheaply) with a barn full of farm equipment, well good luck.

It was a professional place, very mentioned here in this forum. Everything was great with them until this happened. Now it's too late, I didn't notice melting spotuntil I came home. I did the walk around but never saw the front, the headlight (facepalm). Maybe they dropped acid on it?

Last edited:
Lens cover? I'm pretty sure its a whole assembly baked in with the seals. Not sure which Kawi you have, though it should be like replacing the whole unit

@ DOWNUNDER AND GREYGHOST

They never allowed me to go in, they took it in and they took it out for me. I'm sure now it happened outside. I'm going to start looking at another lens cover, there's nothing else to do.
I don't care if I go to where the bike is. I want a record of condition at the time of handover on each end. They have responsibility between those two times. Then you could show them the before video outside of their shop with a good headlight and the after video outside of their shop with a ruined headlight. Once you take possession it is very hard to prove the issue happened there. Hell, it could have happened before it went in and you didn't notice (not saying it did, just neither party has documentation either way). It is hard to do a very detailed inspection at each end, normally you have time or weather constraints. The hi-res video is a quick way to document condition that you can go back and analyse if you find something of concern.

Is that a stock headlight assembly and a stock bulb inside? I've heard of aftermarket headlight assemblies melting due to cheap plastic, or conversely OEM headlight assemblies melting from HID conversions.

Maybe they dropped acid on it?.........................

Yes, someone is dropping acid on this, no doubt.

I guess I don't get it, maybe I'm just stupid. You say it was a professional storage place, not some guy in a field with a barn with dualing banjos playing in the background. You paid for storage, you feel it was damaged while in their possession, yet you have not called them to express concern or to file a damage claim. Your failure to follow up with them on this is totally incomprehensible.

Call them, email them, text them................ Tell them about your concern and your desired remedy (i.e. a new lens, whatever) and give them a timeline for a response. After you have done this get back to us with their response to you.

Back
Top Bottom