Too much oil! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Too much oil!

Katt

So!

I accidentally put in too much oil in my bike today. It was on its side stand and stupidly i kept adding till the window got sorta full thought it was good till i was like dam should have put the bike on the stand and made it up right position! Anyway now its over full, is this terrible? or I don't really know what to do about this :S

Drain it.

just till it reaches the accepted level? or start from scratch all over again? :S

just till it reaches the accepted level? or start from scratch all over again? :S

OK ok, let me be nice.

Let the bike sit on the centre stand on a flat surface for a good 10 minutes.

Loosen the drain plug, let some oil drain out then hand tighten drain plug. Check oil level.

Repeat this until the oil level is at the correct mark. Then, start the bike up, let it run for about 15 seconds. Then wait another 10 minutes for all the oil to settle and check that it's at the correct level.

You should always allow your bike to sit at least 5 minutes (I like waiting 10 minutes) for oil to come down from the top of the engine and settle before you check your readings.

Last edited:
ah thanks! im gonna get some help with this! should have done this in better lighting D:

It's really not that difficult, but if it's your first time then I can see it being overwhelming.. good luck!

It is the first time ive done it @_@ *bites nails* at least i got someone to help later on tonight, gotta ride my bike to work tomorrow am!

Do it once and it will become a piece of cake.

Stick to what's in the manual if you are not sure next time. Even if it looks too little. Like others said leave it after you change the oil for 10 minutes then measure.

Beginners mistake. I did the same thing, thinking my bike was burning oil and topped it up on the side stand.

Get yourself a large syringe and extract - or a couple of friends to tip the bike over to drain.

Get yourself a large syringe and extract

I did the same thing first time I changed the oil. Just get a spray from one of the Windex cleaner types of bottle, wash it well and then spray away until it reaches the right level.

I did the same thing first time I changed the oil. Just get a spray from one of the Windex cleaner types of bottle, wash it well and then spray away until it reaches the right level.
LMAO... Please don't do this.
This has to be the dumbest thing I read on GTAM today!

OP, do what Jay-D told you...

And why would that be? Please explain?

Not dumb at all? And actually easier to get it back to the proper level without getting dirty. This is how you would drain a supercharger of it's oil without a drain plug.

Beginners mistake. I did the same thing, thinking my bike was burning oil and topped it up on the side stand.

Me toooo. Think we have all done it at least once.

been there done that but then again I used these instructions:

Put bike on center or rear stand.
Have a beer.
Put oil pan under bike and remove drain plug.
Have a beer.
While oil is draining have another beer.
Buddy shows up and has a couple of beers with you.

You get the idea.

You did it before? I would think engine oil would be too viscous to pass through a spray nozzle? Or I'm entirely wrong haha.

No... it will go trough. You just need to get it flowing.

There is a drain plug for a reason.

That's right... the reason is to drain. Which is not the case here. He needs to remove a small amount of oil.

Just thing about it... Why would you want to unscrew the drain plug and go trough the trouble of cleaning up everything again when you can just empty it a little bit with a suction device?

Back
Top Bottom