To chain or no to chain? | GTAMotorcycle.com

To chain or no to chain?

QVBD

Hello all,

My first bike is getting shipped in a few weeks and I've been looking around for anti-theft options. For sure, I'll be getting a grip lock, disc lock and cover. Since I only have on-street parking, do you also recommend a chain? There aren't many street sign posts on my street but if available, I'd chain it to that as an extra deterrent. I've been looking at other parked motorcycles around the city and noticed some with covers and some with disc locks but rarely any that are chained up. Is it worth $200+? Yes, anything is worth protecting your investment, but I'd like to know why people don't chain up. What are you using to secure your on-street parked bike?

Disc locks and front brake lever locks don't do anything. All it takes is 2-3 big mofo's to man handle a bike into the back of a truck/van and its gone within seconds. I don't park bike outside in Toronto, but personally, I'd always be nervous. Have you looked into storage? I know it's expensive, but you will always know your bike is safe.

I've looked online but not many options in Bloor west. Next step would be to knock on doors, I guess.

Yes, I have good insurance through Rider's Plus and getting a new 2018 Vitpilen 401 from Alberta.

I've looked online but not many options in Bloor west. Next step would be to knock on doors, I guess.

Yes, I have good insurance through Rider's Plus and getting a new 2018 Vitpilen 401 from Alberta.

congrats on the new bike. Curious, why did you buy it from Alberta? Are you saving that much even with shipping it back to Ontario?

I wasn't going to buy until 2020 but saw an ad on Insta (of all places!) that was ~$3k cheaper. Tack on crating, shipping and HST and I still come out ~$1,500 on top.

*edit: had a buddy inspect it and it had 0 scratches and 0km.

I wouldn't waste my time and money with a chain. As has been already said, just make sure you have theft insurance and enjoy the bike. If you are really concerned, I like the hyosung bike cover as a cheap anti-theft measure.

You can also pick up a monimoto GPS tracker. It gives you an alert if it senses movement.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

In addition to theft insurance go ahead and get your locks as this might slow down a casual opportunistic thief. Get a cover that says "Hyosung" on it in big block letters, this might result in thieves giving you a pass and moving on to a more desirable bike.

Back
Top Bottom