To Buy or Not to Buy? That is the question | GTAMotorcycle.com

To Buy or Not to Buy? That is the question

DjSamphard

Hi Everbody!

I am in little predicament and I do not know what to do. I recently started riding about 3 months so I bought a Ninja 250r. I sold it this week because I want to get something with a bit more "P0WER". I have two bikes in mind. The first a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 with 17000km for approx $3.5-4k. The second choice is a brand new 2016 Yamaha FZ07 for $8000 OTD.

Should I buy the FZ6 next week and drive that around for 1-2 years to build up more experience. Or not buy a bike this year and save the money and by the start of the next season buy the FZ07. This riding season is almost over and I am sure it will be too cold to ride from October -April

So, what should i do? Buy the fz6 and continue riding the hell out of it this year? Or save the money from selling the bike and the insurance money and buy a new bike next year?

Last edited:
I'm no expert but, fz6 = inline 4 i believe, and fz07 = torque-y parallel twin

pick your poison

also 8k OTD for fz07 is a pretty good deal

Buy back your Ninja and learn to ride.
I take it all back if you are over 112 kg.

You should buy a POS little bike like a 125 just to maintain an insurance coverage history. You're a newb so if you wait till next year you'll potentially be starting from zero again when it comes to insurance.

Riding season is nowhere near over, could be many months still!

Both bikes are equally right and wrong choices. Regardless of which you buy, you will feel equally satisfied initially. After riding 2 years on your fz6/fz07 you will want something different, for some variable reason. The bike does not suit the riding you do/want to do. The bike doesn't have some feature you want. You want to try something with different ergonomics. You're just bored and want something different. You're done with riding. So on and so forth...

You're going to make the right and wrong decision, so that leaves the decision down to priorities. Is your priority financial? Is it for enjoyment/lust? Is your priority to ride now?

My final answer: Don't buy either of THOSE bikes. Wait until next year (since you're willing to wait) and buy a used FZ07 for even less. If you watch over months/winter, there will be motivated sellers and great deals to be had!

Wait but talk to your insurance agent since continuous coverage is important. Maybe speak with Chris South about that, csouth@surnet.net

I'd use the time to get some dirt/off pavement experience which will serve you very well. MotoPark in Chatsworth - take some courses. There are a few other weekend off pavement experiences where they supply the bike. Dirt experience will make you a better rider. Even consider buying a used Honda CRF230 - they hold their value well. Lots of fun off pavement and okay for short commutes. Will be a very different perspective from your previous ride.

If you state your goals for riding others can help you better. I'd not be buying new until you are clear on what your long term goals are and I don't think you have enough experience yet.

BTW - riding season never ended last year. I put on 10k km between Sept 15th and Dec 31st.

What is your height and weight as well.

Last edited:

Should have asked what your inseam is as well. Going to be a bit tough for any off pavement bikes. Weight is not an issue - helps with the "sag". :D
Both bikes you are considering are more than an inch taller on seat height - you need to be sitting on them.
Some input from shorter riders here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/1qdidq/5_ft_4_bloke_on_a_honda_cbr500r/

The CBR500 is an inch shorter - great motor if you are staying in the sport area for seating position. One of my staff has FZ6 and loves it. His first bike but he had a dirt background.

Still would like to know your riding goals. If you have the time I'd do a Chatsworth run or one of the other off road riding experiences just to open your "I've done that" range up and have some fun....learn you can fall etc.
http://www.motorcycle.com/events/trail-bike-riding-in-ontario-91549.html

I was on the same boat back in April ... debating between FZ6 and FZ-07. The insurance rates were identical for both bikes (around $70/month) therefore not a deciding factor. I found three FZ6's at that time ranging from 2006 to 2008 but for some reason I couldn't justify spending $4K for a 8-9 year old bike ... bought 2016 FZ-07 and I can't be happier.

Or should I just buy the bike I have always wanted ... a brand new grom or z125 pro. And save money next year to get a the Fz07. Goal is to have both.

Or should I just buy the bike I have always wanted ... a brand new grom or z125 pro. And save money next year to get a the Fz07. Goal is to have both.
Don't buy new unless you really have too

Go with the bigger bike first imo

You'llget more use of it.... Well i would anyways

FZ6 is definitely more powerful though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I ended up choosing the FZ6 over a lot of alternatives because I wanted to try a I4. No regrets so far

I want to get something with a bit more "P0WER".

Both bikes are equally right and wrong choices. Regardless of which you buy, you will feel equally satisfied initially. After riding 2 years on your fz6/fz07 you will want something different, for some variable reason. The bike does not suit the riding you do/want to do. The bike doesn't have some feature you want. You want to try something with different ergonomics. You're just bored and want something different. You're done with riding. So on and so forth...

the bike I have always wanted ... a brand new grom or z125 pro.

I guessed two years... you didn't even last 24 hours!

Hi Everbody!

I am in little predicament and I do not know what to do. I recently started riding about 3 months so I bought a Ninja 250r. I sold it this week because I want to get something with a bit more "P0WER". I have two bikes in mind. The first a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 with 17000km for approx $3.5-4k. The second choice is a brand new 2016 Yamaha FZ07 for $8000 OTD.

Should I buy the FZ6 next week and drive that around for 1-2 years to build up more experience. Or not buy a bike this year and save the money and by the start of the next season buy the FZ07. This riding season is almost over and I am sure it will be too cold to ride from October -April

So, what should i do? Buy the fz6 and continue riding the hell out of it this year? Or save the money from selling the bike and the insurance money and buy a new bike next year?
I'm sure the insurance companies are going to weigh in big time in making your decisions. Good luck and don't bend over will talking to the insurance/ mob.

Back
Top Bottom