To aramid or not? | GTAMotorcycle.com

To aramid or not?

ACsurge

Hi All

I have searched through the forum however did not really come across what I was looking for. I am looking for denim jeans. However for this post not looking for a recommendation on which make/model is a good one. The experience you may have with the "technology".

Impact protection is fairly straight forward and should be able to be swapped out. It is the abrasion resistance material I am looking for opinion.
  • I know aramid is the same/similar to Kevlar (Kevlar just being the brand). So we can use aramid to cover both.
    1. If looking at aramid should I get a full of just the knees and butt area are sufficient.
    2. How do you feel riding in the heat?
    3. Does a lining help in the heat? Sweat wicking like?
  • Cordura, supposed to have a higher abrasion resistance then aramid
    1. How do you feel riding in the heat?
  • Anything else I should look at while jean shopping?
I would be more of a commuter on the bike. Not a lot of stopping and going on my route to the office.

Thank you

I feel it just comes down to your budjet and comfort, will you be changing at work or keeping them all day on?

I got a pair of these when commuting downtown to work, however with knee/hip armour, and the waist being a tad low, I always changed into something more comfortable anyway. They were fine in the heat. https://fortnine.ca/en/revit-alpha-pants

I did try the Klim Outrider pants, however found them too bulky. https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-outrider-pants

If you want a euro fit, go with euro brands. Right now, This is what I would get, seems like the perfect balance https://fortnine.ca/en/dainese-new-drake-air-textile-pants

Thanks for adding a layer of complexity. lol

I suppose same question(s) apply. What is your experience in comfort with it?

I got a pair of dyneema jeans from Gap and they are very comfortable and soft. It’s my riding jeans for around town.

Gap doesn’t sell this anymore, however. I think they were trying to test the product and aim at the urban scooter market.

Will I get another riding jeans with Dyneema? Absolutely. In fact I have been eyeing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I buy tactical pants for riding and add in separate knee armor so with boots I have coverage from top of knees down.

The are very well designed and durable. Room for boots and they fit properly and good choice of sizes and colours. The pockets etc are brilliant for riding.
My Airglide mesh are cooler and more protective ( I wear the same knee armor ).
I know others here wear AirGlide pants.

Right now, This is what I would get, seems like the perfect balance https://fortnine.ca/en/dainese-new-drake-air-textile-pants
Not being comfortable wearing any of 3 pair of riding jeans I have (Cortech, Draggin Jeans, Joe Rocket.....all with kevlar.....couple with armour also) I headed to riders choice for a pair in the link above. ($20 cheaper than f9)
I HIGHLY recommend these for comfort in high heat / humidity days, and at 14C (and I assume lower).
There's knee / shin armour, but that's it....no hip / butt protection at all. (which can be overcome with armoured shorts)

Not being comfortable wearing any of 3 pair of riding jeans I have (Cortech, Draggin Jeans, Joe Rocket.....all with kevlar.....couple with armour also) I headed to riders choice for a pair in the link above. ($20 cheaper than f9)
I HIGHLY recommend these for comfort in high heat / humidity days, and at 14C (and I assume lower).
There's knee / shin armour, but that's it....no hip / butt protection at all. (which can be overcome with armoured shorts)

Similar boat here, thinking I may go pick up a pair next week. Got some Alpinestar Drystar pants, useless in hot weather, a few weeks ago got some Scott VTD pants, great fit, quality, and finish, thought VTD means Vented, nope, also too hot. So the Dainese it is next, is there enough room to fit over boots?

So the Dainese it is next, is there enough room to fit over boots?
There's a long zipper from the cuff, up.
I put them over my boots, but they're too tight to zip fully. Leaves about 1.5" unzipped. Not sure if other boots are smaller, or larger to accommodate?
The dainese mesh pants are the best 300 beans I've spent in quite a while.
If you can get to r/c, try a pair on.....bring your boots. (I didn't, but would have bought regardless)

There's a long zipper from the cuff, up.
I put them over my boots, but they're too tight to zip fully. Leaves about 1.5" unzipped. Not sure if other boots are smaller, or larger to accommodate?
The dainese mesh pants are the best 300 beans I've spent in quite a while.
If you can get to r/c, try a pair on.....bring your boots. (I didn't, but would have bought regardless)

Okay cool, will do. I like how the knee armour is removed from the outside, these are the few pants I've seen that can be worn while at work, without changing, and still look styled/fitted and comfortable. Might size up to allow for warmers and Armour shorts

Okay cool, will do. I like how the knee armour is removed from the outside, these are the few pants I've seen that can be worn while at work, without changing, and still look styled/fitted and comfortable. Might size up to allow for warmers and Armour shorts
Ooooooooo........couple things there that I don't get involved with.....
1) style, I'm shaped like a f'n pear, so nothing helps. Comfort's my thing, and these pants are fulla that.
2) Work. (old & retired) But. Likely all day / night comfort.
I doubt you'll need a size up for underwear armour, but maybe.
When it cools down, I'll hang these up and wear leathers.

I feel it just comes down to your budjet and comfort, will you be changing at work or keeping them all day on?

I think my budget is fairly good. Just looking mainly for comfort. And really more of the heat/humidity. I commute the office and back. I wouldn't mind taking separate pants/shorts if needed.

I don't see a lot of options for Dyneema or Cordura. More options for aramid.
Is UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Polyethylene) the same thing as Dyneema?

I think if your looking for comfort while riding in heat and humidity, ventilation is important, which none of the jeans looking pants have. In terms of whether its Dyneema, cordura, kevlar, etc... if you go with reputable brands they will more or less be the same in terms of abrasion and all tested well, +/- a bit, though more abrasion+protection. If you're okay taking separate pants/shorts to work, then you can open up alot more options. Ijust keep a set of pants and shorts at work, so it's a no brainier. On cold days I wear the heavy pants, on hot days, ventilated ones, and it doesn't affect work attire.

For a rough example, even these could work for you, and on cold days just wear you work pants under. https://fortnine.ca/en/revit-airwave-2-pants

Just my 2 cents, unless you really want that jeans look on the bike.

I got a pair of DaineseNew Drake Text Pant. Had them for a while now and they are holding up great. Legs are tapered and have knee and shin protection and light foam on the hips. I especially like how the knee armour stays on the knees whether walking or riding. Looks very "urban" compared to your baggy grandpa jeans with horrible dyes. FYI you won't be able to wear boots under the New Drakes Pants - too tapered!
edit. I have Sidi Mag 1 boots!

Last edited:
  • I know aramid is the same/similar to Kevlar (Kevlar just being the brand). So we can use aramid to cover both.
    1. If looking at aramid should I get a full of just the knees and butt area are sufficient.
    2. How do you feel riding in the heat?
    3. Does a lining help in the heat? Sweat wicking like?

Most hot weather textile gear have mesh panels to vent air and dissipate heat. These are often located in non-impact zones, like the crotch, thighs and back of the calfs:

textile.jpg

It's the impact zones like the knees and hips that are covered with the abrasion resistant material and reinforced with PU armor.

I have a pair or mesh pants like above, and it vents a lot of air. You stay very cool as long as you're moving. I've also gone down in textile gear and the abrasion resistance is single-use only, unlike leather which is multi-use. After a slide, you can patch the textile with leather patches, I've done that as well.

Most textile gear comes with a built-in mesh liner. More so that your sweaty skin doesn't stick to the material, so it's easier to take on and off. I don't really think it's meant for wicking sweat.

• Cordura, supposed to have a higher abrasion resistance then aramid
    1. How do you feel riding in the heat?
  • Anything else I should look at while jean shopping?

It's my opinion that a lot of the abrasion-resistant textiles are in the same bracket of protection. In my mind, there are three levels of abrasion-resistance:

Cotton Jeans
Cordura/Kevlar/Ballistic Nylon/Aramid/Dynatec/D-Stone/etc.
Leather

Difference between the textiles is not going to give you significant difference in sliding distance before they all disintegrate, but they will be much better than cotton jeans. If you are worried about this, then there are mesh gear available with leather-reinforced impact zones. I have a jacket like this, with a mesh/leather combination:

rev-it_jacket-leather_galactic-3050_white-black.jpg

Another option is also perforated leather, which gives you more breathability and heat dissipation than regular leather.

Last edited:
Full disclosure: LOVE my new Drake air pants. When I zip it into the jacket it is perfect. Super comfortable. BUT no way is it as safe a a full aramid or Kevlar riding jean on a higher speed slide.

Back
Top Bottom