TMP Saturday July 13 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TMP Saturday July 13

Great job man! Looking at the pics you posted with my unprofessional eye, seems like you've got lot's more tire left for much more lean angle and corner speed, so maybe that's where you can dramatically improve your times if your lines and braking are already good. You're very tall, and body position looks good to me (others confirm), so maybe tuck in the knee a bit to get it out of the way. Above all, remember I'm a beginner too, so take everything I say with a grain of salt!! :)

You don't drag knee by tucking the knee in then leaning the bike more. That's how you crash and hurt yourself. The knee is out as a gauge as to where you are lean angle wise so tucking it in does nothing but leave the rider wondering. The body is the first thing off the bike, then you can lean the bike. At the moment neither of the guys in the picture are getting off the bike. Their whole body is in line with the front wheel. I could almost guarantee that a picture of a sub 1.20 rider on the same corner would have the bike leaned at about the same angle. The difference (besides speed) would be the fact the sub 1.20 guy is off the bike more.

That's why I wish I could have pictures going through 2/3. I know I was off bike more, carrying more speed and my knee would touch down then I'd drop the bike a bit more, pushing my knee back into my body and really scraping all the way through the corner.
It was the only corner I was able to understand the whole knee as a lean gauge thing.

Brake parts have been ordered, next track day I'm gonna work more on position, consistency and more power applied sooner coming out of corner.

Test- quote is working...

As for Duc vs gixxer.
The Streetfighter was the best "streetbike" ever. And it was so rewarding to ride on the street 90lbs of torque made doing 30kph fun. But on the track you really had to muscle it and body position was between a supermoto and a SBK. And 90lbs o torque scared me a bit so I never really put the power down around corners. And it was so ****ing beautiful I never took it to the edge for fear of dumping it.

The gixxer on the other hand is boring on the street. And I find the sound of an I-4 annoying on the street.
But on the track, its so flickable, proper body position, larger rpm range to play in(need to change gearing for TMP though) and I don't care if I dump it.

2azaquba.jpg

Boooo! Inline 4's are for quitters! Shame on you.

Seriously, I agree with Fiery254 on the picture above, but the other one you posted shows way better body position, with your left shoulder more or less in line with the headstock. Assuming you have at least half a cheek off I would say that that s pretty darn good!

Seriously, I agree with Fiery254 on the picture above, but the other one you posted shows way better body position, with your left shoulder more or less in line with the headstock. Assuming you have at least half a cheek off I would say that that s pretty darn good!

Thanks, 3rd Trackday, 1st with the gixxer. I was happy with the day, baby steps. Lol

As for the Duc... I know:( but the gixxer is way better to learn the track with.

I missed this pic. Looks much nice and probably felt much faster. I always try to picture myself pushing the bike away from myself as much as climbing off the bike.

See? Much better. But I don't agree that you are at anywhere near max lean angle, assuming good tires and suspension. There is plenty more lean left - no hard parts are anywhere near the tarmac (check out where the footpeg is). Touching your knee down does not always indicate you are at or near max lean, obviously. A tall (long-legged) person with good hip flexibility on a bike with relatively low footpegs, less ride height, etc. will touch the knee down sooner. Not to burst your bubble, but being "knee down all over the place" might be as much because you are undersprung / under preloaded and with lower footpegs, than it is about your increased riding prowess. Still, you dropped some time so that is progress no matter how you slice it.

Edit: sorry, simultaneous post with Fiery...

Last edited:
I think I mentioned it above, I absolutely need to do suspension before I want to push more. From what I know/understand, If you saw the wear on the front(basically no chicken strip) vs rear (1/8-1/4 inch) I was close to losing the front. Most likely in turn 3 where I know I was way more over than turn 11[the pic]

So in my head my front is completely compressed (bottoming out)as I'm braking and stays there till I start applying power, I think that is bad no?

That's why I wish I could have pictures going through 2/3. I know I was off bike more, carrying more speed and my knee would touch down then I'd drop the bike a bit more, pushing my knee back into my body and really scraping all the way through the corner.
It was the only corner I was able to understand the whole knee as a lean gauge thing.

Brake parts have been ordered, next track day I'm gonna work more on position, consistency and more power applied sooner coming out of corner.

I'm the opposite, never dragged a knee on 2 or between 2 and 3 (3 is a different story), but I was doing it all wrong to begin with (not taking it as one continuous decreasing radius turn). Can't wait for the 20th to apply newly acquired knowledge! As for turn 11 and 12, I've regarded them as one double apex turn as early as my first track day ever (last year), I found out on my own that I can fly through 10 and then fly 11-12 without lifting the bike up.

I missed this pic. Looks much nice and probably felt much faster. I always try to picture myself pushing the bike away from myself as much as climbing off the bike.

That's the pic I referred to when I though he's got more tire to use at his disposal, especially after body position looked good to me. Btw, I also try pushing the bike away from me all the time to decrease lean angle, in fact I do it very consciously, I'm glad this is confirmed to be a good practice by an experienced rider :)

I think I mentioned it above, I absolutely need to do suspension before I want to push more. From what I know/understand, If you saw the wear on the front(basically no chicken strip) vs rear (1/8-1/4 inch) I was close to losing the front. Most likely in turn 3 where I know I was way more over than turn 11[the pic]

So in my head my front is completely compressed (bottoming out)as I'm braking and stays there till I start applying power, I think that is bad no?

One thing from my newb perspective---at TMP specifically, dragging knee at every corner lost appeal after a couple of trackdays for me. I don't know what this tells, but my best laps (1:24) hardly had any knee on the ground...except Turn 1, where I can't help but really squirm with pleasure dragging there at high speed :)

Yes, very bad, but are you sure it's true? Do you have a zip tie on the fork leg to record maximum compression travel? And if you *are* at or near the bottom, have you tried adding preload? The zip tie trick is super useful.

he has zip ties on the forks...there right at the bottom like 1/4 inch away
looking at his bike at the shop now actually, theres 3/4 chicken strips on the back and near nothing on the front

If it's a 190 then it's a profile thing. I run 190's on my gsxr 600 and the only way to scrub the last 1/2" is by lieing the bike down and crashing! My front is without strips and the rear always has strips.

That front fork travel is a problem though.

If it's a 190 then it's a profile thing. I run 190's on my gsxr 600 and the only way to scrub the last 1/2" is by lieing the bike down and crashing! My front is without strips and the rear always has strips.

That front fork travel is a problem though.

I run a 200 on the 636, i luv my chicken strips.

Back
Top Bottom