TMP Cayuga on a Cruiser | GTAMotorcycle.com

TMP Cayuga on a Cruiser

NightShadow

I am new to the sport and been riding just under a year now . I did sign up for the Surviving the streets course with TMP with a couple of friends from this site. Was wanting to improve my cornering and thought it was a good place to start . In the few hours that you are there it makes a big difference . I enjoyed it very much and would consider doing it again . Where can you learn to do emergency stopping at 100 to 120 K an hour or swerving at that speed and then doing a emergency stop right after that. Don that runs the course is very good and explains things quite well. The instructors Know what they are doing and are very willing to talk with you and help you out. They only allow 15 peeps on the course and we had 12 so the track was wide open . I run a 900 Cruiser and always thought it was so so . Well I had it cracked open and really saw what it could do and was very surprised. It is not a sport bike so not going to go as fast but it was OK and a lot of fun. My instructor was watching me and always giving the thumbs up and near the end of the course he came to me and said when they let you go out by your selves that I should just hang it out and go for it . (Just to let you know I had never scraped my floor boards . On the first trip around the track in practice I scraped it twice . I ended up scraping it many times during the course . ) Going through the double apex coming onto the front straight I scraped it 3/4 the way around and didn't make it all the way as Don was trying to get me to slow down . I have never had so much fun. I now see why peeps are addicted to this. You could see the improvement in all that took this course. This is a course that I would recommend to someone with at least a good year under there belt and wanting to improve there riding or just wanting to know what it is like on a track. The only thing that was disappointing for me in the course was when they allow you to go on track without the instructors at the end is that you don't get enough laps in. This was something we talked about after it was done and they are going to look into it . I am still smiling ear to ear the day after. It was a lot of fun .

I am heading to the Dragon for 9 days with a few peeps so this small training course should help me out with the handling of the dragon.

NS

Just remember the skills you learn on the track should not be practiced on the street!

I thought that was the point of the "Surviving the Streets" course ???

Just remember the skills you learn on the track should not be practiced on the street!

Well the point of the course is to upgrade your skills to make you a better rider. As I said the course is very short but you do
learn things that do help you out . Most of the stuff I learned on the track does relate to the road . The only thing that I won't be
doing is speeding around and scraping my boards everywhere I go . My interest is in cruising around not seeing how fast I go .
I was just making a point that it was a good way to introduce you to the track and also help improve your skills as a rider.

Also it gave me a chance to see what my bike would do without worrying about a cop looking over my shoulder. Something that I wouldn't do on the street.

A review from a rider at the course last week

Just wanted to post an interesting course I went down to on Sunday. Getting there of course was half the fun as it was a bit wet going through the Hamilton area.

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/surviving_the_streets_instrtn.html

I met up with 2 friends from CMC London and also met 2 other folks from CMC, I think the Markham area, and everyone's overwhelming response was it was an incredible course which let everyone, regardless of their skill levels to push themselves "Safely" from their comfort zones and to learn a bit more about this sport which we all love.

A lot of people think the idea of Cruisers on a race track makes no sense, but I have to say that it is an amazing environment to practice emergency stops... any where from 3rd gear to 5/6 gear. Emergency swerves and stops again at your comfortable "Pushed Limit" Also a track which has 12 curves per lap in which everyone, I do mean everyone, scraped their floor boards repeatedly until being taught how to turn even sharper and faster and not scraping, well it was fun, interesting, and probably the most fun you will every experience in one afternoon on your bike. Probaby in one afternoon you will do more curves then you will in a whole season.

3 of the riders taking the course were experienced Riders getting ready for a trip to the Dragon's Tail. They were there on recommendation of their friends who did the trip the year before.

There was one fellow who had about 30 plus years of riding and he said after the course he found things out he never knew.

The course starts out with a talk, orientation, basic info which is good to remember and then we go out on the track. After a few laps we were broken down to smaller groups of maximum 2 or 3 per instructor and then the fun began.

If anybody wants to know more about the course, or has general questions, send me a note and I will certainly give you my opinion.

I guess my opinion is we all need to learn, we all can improve our skills and I know we all want to be safe.
icon_e_smile.gif

This was on a Race Track but it was all about SAFETY.

Brian
CMC006
Road Captain
CanadianBB

Back
Top Bottom