Tires for a middleweight ADV | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tires for a middleweight ADV

Mad Mike

Heading north for some backwoods riding and need new shoes for my old DR Big. Has OE Mitas tires, still in great shape with no cracks - but they’re 25 years old, not taking chances.

Gonna be 800km on logging roads and dirt highways, then 500 on pavement. No single track.

I like the Shinko 705s on my Vstrom, looking for a bit more dirt bias, maybe the 804/5?

I dont see many Vstroms on my dirt travels. I do see lots of KLRs and DR650s pounding dirt, any of you got recommendations?

Have a look at the Dunlop D606, awesome grip and good longevity. The 805 has almost zero side grip in wet..

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Have a look at the Dunlop D606, awesome grip and good longevity. The 805 has almost zero side grip in wet..

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
606 is a bit too much dirt, have to tried the 50/50 605?

I'd go Shinko - bang for buck nothing else is close.
Every Shinko I’ve had has been great. Have 705s on my Vstrom and SR244s on my 125&250 dual sports.

I've got Dunlop Trailmax Missions on my big GS

75/25ish. Great for gravel travel. Excellent on pavement. Terrible in mud.
I don’t think many 50/50 tires are good in mud, that’s a knobby world.

Pricey devils! $500 from Revco for a set… Are they big mile tires? I pay the GT premium on my ST tires for the extra mileage.

I don’t think many 50/50 tires are good in mud, that’s a knobby world.

Pricey devils! $500 from Revco for a set… Are they big mile tires? I pay the GT premium on my ST tires for the extra mileage.

Yes, big miles indeed.

Currently got 10K on them and they're roughly 40-50% tread left. I do 30% gravel / 70% pavement.

This is on a 550lb bike + I have a bad habit of spinning the rear a lot in the dirt.

Figure they'll go at least 15K kms.

Compare that to my last set - Anakee Wilds - the rears lasted 6K kms at which point they were done like dinner.

Heading north for some backwoods riding and need new shoes for my old DR Big. Has OE Mitas tires, still in great shape with no cracks - but they’re 25 years old, not taking chances.

Gonna be 800km on logging roads and dirt highways, then 500 on pavement. No single track.

I like the Shinko 705s on my Vstrom, looking for a bit more dirt bias, maybe the 804/5?

I dont see many Vstroms on my dirt travels. I do see lots of KLRs and DR650s pounding dirt, any of you got recommendations?
Shinko 804/5 are a solid choice for a 60/40 tire that's still god on pavement
Had a set on my 650GS and they performed fine.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but..

Others than Shinko 705, what are some other good options for a VStrom with primarily pavement riding but wanting to explore some dirt/gravel roads.

Current tires are stock Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41 and the rear seems to be getting squared off. I figured it would be a good idea switch now.

Want something that will last and be good on gravel but also (primarily) on pavement and lots of highway.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but..

Others than Shinko 705, what are some other good options for a VStrom with primarily pavement riding but wanting to explore some dirt/gravel roads.

Current tires are stock Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41 and the rear seems to be getting squared off. I figured it would be a good idea switch now.

Want something that will last and be good on gravel but also (primarily) on pavement and lots of highway.
Trailmax Mission for both of you. My tkc80's aren't lasting very long on my 1290 and they will be getting replaced with Missions as well.

Trailmax Mission for both of you. My tkc80's aren't lasting very long on my 1290 and they will be getting replaced with Missions as well.
Thank you.

I ended up ordering Shinko 705's.
I wasn't really finding good stock of the Dunlops and they were more $$$.

Maybe next time I will try the Dunlop.

Thank you.

I ended up ordering Shinko 705's.
I wasn't really finding good stock of the Dunlops and they were more $$$.

Maybe next time I will try the Dunlop.
I have 705s on my Vstrom, just ordered 804/4 for my DR 750 as I plan a little more rough stuff. Was going to try running Portelance Rd this week, but parts of the road are flooded and still ice covered in places - not a good solo adventure.

I’m up north this week, still chilly, lakes still frozen and there is still lots of snow in the bush.

Gonna be a 4 wheel week.

A bunch of us on killers run the Kenda 270s. When we did the Trans Taiga trip we all left on new rubber. After 1200kms of somewhat nasty gravel the 3 of us on the Kendas were happy with our choice but the one guy with Shinkos wasn't so happy (not sure which tire he had maybe it was too street oriented)
I've never run anything else than the 270s

A bunch of us on killers run the Kenda 270s. When we did the Trans Taiga trip we all left on new rubber. After 1200kms of somewhat nasty gravel the 3 of us on the Kendas were happy with our choice but the one guy with Shinkos wasn't so happy (not sure which tire he had maybe it was too street oriented)
I've never run anything else than the 270s
270s are great - I run them on my light enduros. They are designed for lighter dual sports, the KLR is at their upper limit.

Vstroms exceed the load rating, speed rating, and they run tubeless tires.

Back
Top Bottom