Tires and pants | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tires and pants

switchx

Hello,

This is my second season riding and just have a few questions.

1) how often do one changes the tires? My tires conditions are pretty good, no tears or rips or anything, but i think the grooves might be running shallow.

2) Minus the people that go squid, Anyone actually wear riding pants? I've been wearing jeans since day 1, but i would like to go on the highway more now that i'm comfortable. any suggestions?

Tire life depends on a few things.

What you ride
how much you ride
type of tires

Best thing to do is look for the wear bars and see if your getting close to them. Did you buy the set that's on there? if not check the manufacture date codes on them, tires tend to dry out and harden with age.

As for pants. I've been wearing some sort of riding pants since I picked up my Kat in 03. Started with JR phoenix mesh pants, then JR perforated leather speedmasters. Now I have a 2pc perforated leather fieldsheer suit I usually wear. Check out a few shops and then figure out what you want. There's mesh pants, textile pants, perforated and non perforated leather pants. If all comes down to what you need and what you'll actually use. Leather pants won't do **** for you if you won't wear them because it's too hot out, so you need to decide what's best for you.

I wear joe rocket ballistic alter ego 10 textile pants. the pair comes with a lining also which came in handy in early April. currently with lining removed, I don't feel hot at all, there are zippers that you can open up as additional vents.

I am an ATGATT guy...so I wear riding pants, either textile, or full leathers, every time I ride....and gloves, and boots, and back protector, and of course helmet.

It's up to you what you want to wear.

I wear what I'd want to crash in.

2pc leathers, gloves and boots, regardless of heat for serious rides.

Leather jacket + boots + Icon field armour knee//shin pads inside jeans (find them really comfortable once you get use to them) for poser duty.

Knee protection is a must. seeing too many knee injuries.

you never know when something will happen that will require you to need gear. After I was ended up surfing some one's hood that plowed into my bike and me I was thankful i was wearing my gear and actually because it was cold 2 motorcycle jackets. did i plan on getting hit? nope, did i do what i could in the situation to avoid being hit? yup, but i still got hit, gear saved my ***.

pants I don't own any at the moment. but when I invest in some hopefully before the end of august I'm looking at the icon hooligan 2 mesh overpant.
Reason I'm after the overpant is so i can wear my work stuff(dress pants) underneath them and still feel protected. same with shorts if im going to the beach and whatnot.
right now though is jeans and dress pants(when going to work) since I only live 5 minutes from work. but im sure id feel more comfortable in something more protective.

Reason I'm after the overpant is so i can wear my work stuff(dress pants) underneath them and still feel protected. same with shorts if im going to the beach and whatnot.

That's why I liked the JR phoenix pants, loose enough to wear as an overpant, and mesh so you didn't bake in them.

Tires: I think if you look at your motorcycle manual it will have a section that indicates what the minimum tread depth should be. You can also look at the tires tread wear bars and see if they are flush with the rest of the tire. That's usually a sign the tire is near the end of it's life. This all assumes the rest of the tire is in good condition (eg. outer edges cracking, age of tire etc.).

Pants: For everyday type riding (highway and local roads) I use Draggin Jeans. Which have a kevelar type material at all the critical areas. I also us Knox Knee pads under the jeans.

Tires: I like fresh tires for both track and street. On the side of the tire is a date in the format XXYY, where XX is the week of the year that the tire was made and YY is the year, i.e. 2310 would be the 23rd week of 2010. Good indication of how old the tire is. I never like using tires more than 2 years old, but i'm picky.

Gear: full gear always, no exception. I use Joe Rocket textile pants, super comfy goes over my nice work clothes. Full gloves, full leather jacket, leather boots. On the "spirited" rides, i go for full leathers, leather race boots (have em anyways for the track, may as well use em), just incase. Go for the ride, dress for the moron texting behind you.

I wear A* mesh pants, with added knee protection. The pants are not as cool as a jacket because most areas are textile and armour that don't flow air very well but offer protection. The A* mesh pants are well designed and made. The leg zips start from the outside of your ankle and zip across the knee to your inner thigh. This makes it easy to put your pants on, then your boots, then your knee armour, then zip yourself together.

I always wear gear protection, no matter how short the ride.

Go for the ride, dress for the moron texting behind you.
LOL it's so true!

Thank you for all the input! I will have to see if i have TWI and then if not look for the date!.

As for pants. I think i'll go for the more ventilated ones. guess i could always wear something under if it gets cold. and of course knee padding and hip armour is a must.

Back
Top Bottom