Tired of tire questions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tired of tire questions?

Jaybee43

Howdy folks. Here is the 1 million dollar question that doesn't have an exact answer. I'm looking to buy a used bike that has a 7 year old (manufacturer date) rear tire and a 6 year old (manufacturer date) front tire. The tire tread still look half decent and there's no buldging or cracks. I've read any tire after 5 years "should" be replaced. What would you guys do? Buy the bike and keep the tires or negotiate a lesser price as you'd want to replace them? Thanks!!

Here r 2 pics. Sorry their the the best but will give u an idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-184328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-184328_Gallery.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20210509-184305_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-184305_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Tire manufacturers say to replace at 5 years. Currently the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act says tires must be less than 10 years old.

I got a used bike as my first bike a couple months ago, but it's 6 years old now, I'll probably change the tires next spring.

Howdy folks. Here is the 1 million dollar question that doesn't have an exact answer. I'm looking to buy a used bike that has a 7 year old (manufacturer date) rear tire and a 6 year old (manufacturer date) front tire. The tire tread still look half decent and there's no bulging or cracks. I've read any tire after 5 years "should" be replaced. What would you guys do? Buy the bike and keep the tires or negotiate a lesser price as you'd want to replace them? Thanks!!
They'll likely pass a safety - make the owner get that, do your paperwork, ride the bike then make your decision.

how hard do you ride? the older tires will probably be fine if you don't push them hard. they just won't be as grippy.

in years past when cash was tight I'd have ridden them but now I'd likely upgrade.

how hard do you ride? the older tires will probably be fine if you don't push them hard. they just won't be as grippy.

in years past when cash was tight I'd have ridden them but now I'd likely upgrade.
I guess I should have mentioned it's 1000cc sport touring bike. Plan to ride 2 up with my wife sometimes. Won't be pushing it even when I'm solo

I guess I should have mentioned it's 1000cc sport touring bike. Plan to ride 2 up with my wife sometimes. Won't be pushing it even when I'm solo
Never skimp on rubber, on your wheels or your dick

Change the tires, "tread" is only half the story the rest is in the rubber compound.
Even at sane speeds, you will notice the difference in the grip between the old and new.
Better safe than sorry.

Similar situation. I bought a bike with a 5 year old front tire and a 6 year old rear. Worked great up to 80 kph, didn't even notice anything. Then one day I hit the 404 and at 110 on a very lazy wide curve and being passed by a transport truck, both tires lost their grip and I moved to the other side of the lane. It was the weirdest thing I've ever experienced, like I was on black ice, the tires just let the bike move sideways. Came home, changed my underwear, and ordered new tires. Bike handles great now. So as the others have said here, changes the tires!

Tires will be about $300 to $400, maybe $500 in total if you take the bike in somewhere to have them do all the work. How much tread is left? If about half then effective cost of changing out current tires is maybe $200 to $250. Balance that amount out with the risk of a hard tire losing it in a corner.

Use the old tires and the need to have them changed out as a negotiating point in determining the final price of the bike.

If it were ME, I'd inspect carefully to make sure there's no cracking, then ride them to see how they feel and go from there. That's for street riding. If I were going to the track, I'd get new tires.

Rubber ages, I have some old bikes 10 year old RP4s in litre sport touring bike, the have about 10k on them, look and handle like new. I have a durometer at work, for fun I’ll measure the hardness and compare to my brand new RP4s.

I check tires for irregularities, cracks, leaks, bulges, wear patterns and vibration. I have never worried too much about dates if all else is in order.

I skimped on rubber once, now I have 7 children. :unsure:

But change the tires!!
I know a guy has 6 kids and expecting 7.
He's going from honda accord to Honda odyssey and now Nissan NV300, don't think he stops at 7 lol

My life worth more than $500 and tires are the only thing that has a contact with a road.

But you might value your and your wife's lives less, idk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
If it were ME, I'd inspect carefully to make sure there's no cracking, then ride them to see how they feel and go from there. That's for street riding. If I were going to the track, I'd get new tires.
Agree. Need ride and see how it feels.

you didn't mention having the squeeze on the back - change the tires

Similar situation. I bought a bike with a 5 year old front tire and a 6 year old rear. Worked great up to 80 kph, didn't even notice anything. Then one day I hit the 404 and at 110 on a very lazy wide curve and being passed by a transport truck, both tires lost their grip and I moved to the other side of the lane. It was the weirdest thing I've ever experienced, like I was on black ice, the tires just let the bike move sideways. Came home, changed my underwear, and ordered new tires. Bike handles great now. So as the others have said here, changes the tires!
Crazy story!! will change the tires lol

Back
Top Bottom