Tire wear bar | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire wear bar

arogal

How many of u scrap a tire once it reaches the wear bar strip in the water grooves of a tire? I'm almost there but it looks like there's still plenty of rubber to use up.
My rear is almost at the bar, front still has alot to go

Don't ride in the rain and you don't need rain grooves....slicks don't have rain grooves. Though it's usually the tire squaring off that scraps it for me.

Don't ride in the rain and you don't need rain grooves....slicks don't have rain grooves. Though it's usually the tire squaring off that scraps it for me.
Ya already noticed it doesn't turn in as well. Got 11,000 out of the 2CT rear so far.
Still plenty of groove left, even in the middle... almost seems like Michelin makes the wear bars a bit pre mature for extra caution.

Depends on your bike and riding style. Running a city bike at 60kmh... I’d ride em bald. ST running 600km weekend trips with a few spirited romps... change em when the bars are even with tread.

How many of u scrap a tire once it reaches the wear bar strip in the water grooves of a tire? I'm almost there but it looks like there's still plenty of rubber to use up.
My rear is almost at the bar, front still has alot to go
Rode mine till I wore out the wear bars lol ... Previous owner intentionally underinflated the tires for better gripping. Burned them out in under 4k km. I put another 5k on top before replacing them. Was fine even in the rain, but once the weather got hotter, I got new ones.

A friend's bald car tire exploded in front of me in hot weather. That was enough of a wake up call for me.

Pilot 2CT? What's the date code on that tire?

I find the steering becomes unacceptably sluggish before the tire gets to the wear bar.

While I use mine until you can see the metal, Brian is correct that the steering will be slower since the tire is less rounded or pointed. As others say, if you are not regularly rain riding then they are safe.

Pilot 2CT? What's the date code on that tire?
Although the tires are older, they are still in production. I guess they are a popular tire and instead of making an updated version they kept them as is. I forget the exact code, but they were produced in 2016.
I will most likely ride on the rear until late May or so. My inlaws live in Huntsville so I ride the twisties in the mornings quite often in summer once it gets warmer and you can get some heat to the tires.
As you guys have stated, I have definitely noticed the turn in not being a tight as it was while the tire was more rounded.
I'll replace with another 2CT...They are darn good tires for the price.

While I use mine until you can see the metal, Brian is correct that the steering will be slower since the tire is less rounded or pointed. As others say, if you are not regularly rain riding then they are safe.
I've only gotten to the cords once (left PEI to outrun a snow storm, tire was due for replacement when I started riding that day, when I stopped for gas around montreal, the cords were visible). Much less traction once the steel is out (not to mention the likelihood of puncture is probably exponentially higher as you have very little thickness left. When I got home, took the wheels off and drove them to a shop for new rubber. I highly recommend changing tires well before this point.
Personally, I will change a front tire as soon as it hits the wear bars (or sooner if I am going on a trip). The rear I am slightly less concerned about as a rear flat is much less likely to cause me to crash. As the rubber gets thinner, I have found that tires get more fragile and susceptible to damage.

I keep going with mine until I see the cords. At that time I take them off, and give them to one of my friends to use on his R6.
It's a great system really.

I change both front and rear at 10k no matter how they "look".
(FJR1300)
'Had a set of Bridgeston T31 GT's delivered today....Starting the season on a fresh set of rubber

Really depends on your riding plans. If you're going to be riding in town on relatively short trips in good weather (no rain) then go ahead and ride until you have a slick. If you're planning a trip of a few thousand km then you bite the bullet and just change them out.

The really frustrating thing is to have a set of tires at the 5,500 km mark with about 2,000 km to go on them based on previous wear and you're planning a 3,000 km trip....... Do you change them out now and "waste" 2,000 km of wear or do you change them mid trip which is a complete pain.

When i ride on or at the limit,it's at the track.If i have to ride at the limit on the street,it is because of something totally unexpected happened.Like a load of bricks fell off the pickup truck in front of me on an off ramp.I don't want to be on a tire that is 90% gone and then find out i have no contact patch!

1c08bee21791c9cc2d46c7cce31cda8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it is like having a shower. I take one ever year, whether , I need it or not. Same for my tyres. ever year. Or else I see the metal braids

For me it is like having a shower. I take one ever year, whether , I need it or not. Same for my tyres. ever year. Or else I see the metal braids
Hmmmmmm.....I do recall you said you were French, so this may be true. Lol

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Hi Joe, I understand what you mean. A big Lol to that. However, I am an ex Brit. Londoner. I worked very closely to people. Medical field. Had to smell fresh or the patients would definitely be nauseous. Trauma, Advanced F/A. Etc. Ski Patrol.
Happy riding.

Back
Top Bottom