Tire "specs" | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire "specs"

Jaybee43

I have a quick/dumb question regarding tires for my cbr500. I'm looking at the Bridgestone BT-023. I know the size for the front tire is 120/70ZR17 but there's an option for "F" spec or "G" spec with about a 35$ difference. Any idea as to what the difference is between F and G spec are? Thanks in advance!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its a durability rating.
The higher the letter, the more durable the tire (for heavier bikes).

I don't think so, all the BT-023s are W-rated.

I think @TK4 is on the right track (pun intended), as the BT-023s have two different specs, the normal and the GT Spec:

GT specs available in 120/70-17 and 180/55-17 for heavier motorcycles. GT specs have heavy duty casings. Revised tread pattern - front only

I think the Type F/G/M distinguishes between GT and non-GT spec BT-023s, depending on which bike you are mounting them on and its weight.

this site shows the G spec for the Honda and the F spec for two Yamahas...

It's pretty poorly documented and inconsistent across sites, but it does designate an OEM tire for a specific manufacturer. It may also indicate a GT version depending on the bike. In this example the F spec is for an FJR and is about $145 vs. the G spec at $113 for a much lighter bike.

OE Replacement:​

• F Spec Yamaha FJR1300 ('13)
  • G Spec Honda 700
After having to search too long I found this. See P43 and on for OE tires and letter codes

Honda recommends Dunlop which seem quite expensive. The 2 I'm looking at Bridgestone BT23 or Michelin Pilot road 4 seem to have good reviews with less of a hit on the wallet. I might sell my bike later this summer so I don't want to spend a fortune on new tires. Any recommendations?

Honda recommends Dunlop which seem quite expensive. The 2 I'm looking at Bridgestone BT23 or Michelin Pilot road 4 seem to have good reviews with less of a hit on the wallet. I might sell my bike later this summer so I don't want to spend a fortune on new tires. Any recommendations?
What's on the back ?

The G is the general spec, any other letter designates an OEM spec version of the same basic tire. In this case the F is a Honda design, specd specifically for the NC700. You can interchange, just the F has a harder compound and a tread designed to shed more water. It will last longer, gives up a bit of traction - probably not enough to notice on a CB 500.

GT is not the same, that's a generic designation for heavier carcasses on grand touring tires designed for high mileage on big bikes.

Personally I'd shift over to Metzlers or Dunlops - I find everything in the Battalaxeline has a short life.

Back
Top Bottom