Tire crack! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire crack!

Andrew89

So i have brand new Sportmax Q3 tires on the bike. Less than 100km ridden on them. When i parked my motorcycle this morning I randomly decided to inspect my rear tire quickly and noticed a artificial 'crack' about 1cm or less in length. Its not deep by any means, but still a cause of concern for me. Recently i locked my rear tire in a skid and rode through tons of small broken glass (broken plane of glass from a small truck transporting it and could not avoid it).

My main point is, is any crack or slice in the tire a cause of concern, no matter the depth of this crack?

Without pictures or more information it's hard to say for sure, but my rule of thumb is if there is anything wrong with a tire, I replace it. It may mean replacing a tire that has plenty of miles left in it, but it beats the option of having it deflate at high speed. The cost of a new tire is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

So i have brand new Sportmax Q3 tires on the bike. Less than 100km ridden on them. When i parked my motorcycle this morning I randomly decided to inspect my rear tire quickly and noticed a artificial 'crack' about 1cm or less in length. Its not deep by any means, but still a cause of concern for me. Recently i locked my rear tire in a skid and rode through tons of small broken glass (broken plane of glass from a small truck transporting it and could not avoid it).

My main point is, is any crack or slice in the tire a cause of concern, no matter the depth of this crack?

A picture would help but it may be the start of a separation were the rubber is joined during manufacturing.

Once I had a new Supercorsa do this across the entire width of the tire first time out on it and I got it covered under warranty.

how deep is not deep? If it makes it to the cords, it's finished. If not and I wasn't planning on doing any ridiculously high speed riding, I would keep an eye on it and see if it changes in anyway.

i'll go out and take a picture on my lunch break!

I bought the tire on Canadamotorcycle.com, so perhaps i'll try their customer service first and inquire about replacement or contact dunlop directly. Just a really big nuisance early in the season.

00e3a4659109243fa9f564169587a265.jpg
64ef10e9ebe1fc5bebe8557904b03c65.jpg

Here are two pics. Looks like a a diagonal split

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

looks superficial, not artificial.

I have a feeling you'd have a hard time convincing them to take it back... they will just go with you ran something over, and you kind of admitted that here.

But, that wouldn't stop me from trying to get it replaced. It doesn't look like its damage from running something over... I want to say it looks like it was frozen and was handled while still frozen.

Last edited:
looks superficial, not artificial.

I have a feeling you'd have a hard time convincing them to take it back... they will just go with you ran something over, and you kind of admitted that here.

But, that wouldn't stop me from trying to get it replaced. It doesn't look like its damage from running something over... I want to say it looks like it was frozen and was handled while still frozen.

hahaha, yes, superficial. Terrible mistake. I figure I can still ride it on a daily basis, just wont exceed 120km/h

I'll try canadamotorcycle first. Wish me luck.

hahaha, yes, superficial. Terrible mistake. I figure I can still ride it on a daily basis, just wont exceed 120km/h

I'll try canadamotorcycle first. Wish me luck.

What is the maximum speed at which you would consider doing a high side?

I have a picture of a similar cut that appeared on my gsxr's tire. I rode with it until the tire was at the end of its life with no issues, even at very high speeds.

WlhKE3U.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom