Tips on Staying Upright Part 1 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips on Staying Upright Part 1

35yearson

Some ramblings for riding in city/town traffic

Watch vehicle drivers habits/distractions as they travel from intersection to intersection to determine their habits, ie lane changer from light to light, 1st off the line, cellphone talker/texter (don't usually signal anything), arm waving talkers, heavy bass on Stereo,thump, thump, couldn't hear you anyway . Provide extra space around the above when you identify them.

Vary your speed when around other cars so you move ahead or behind them, so they are reminded of your presence.

Try to avoid steady riding anywhere behind the front doors to 5 feet behind the rear bumper, (Still allows them to move over, but very close for your comfort if it occurs), if ahead of the front doors, they may see/hear you

When approaching an intersection with someone turning right or crossing your path weave a little within the lane to again bring attention, as some drivers look for cars and don't register bikes so when you weave, it may catch attention

Allow drivers space, as most cars follow too close, so when they have to stop suddenly to avoid another vehicle in front, guess where they try to escape, into your lane, even if you move over in the your lane away from the vehicles, you buy space and time.

Generally most drivers I find are reasonable, but when it comes to stop signs, the definition of "stop" has been redefined to "quick glance and roll through", At a 4 way Stop sign intersection, if in doubt, you are better to yield than try to contest, flick of the helmet or wave through with glove helps remind the driver acts of courtesy are still around.

When approaching intersections, watch your back, again watching the driving habits helps determine attentiveness of the driver as noted above. If the light changes, can they stop, if you hear tires screeching behind you and the light is still yellow .......quick glance in all directions and move out of the way.

Some ideas I have put in practice

Post number 1 should be in intro....just saying pro...i mean bro...or did i? Some great advice in there though.

Some ramblings for riding in city/town traffic

Watch vehicle drivers habits/distractions as they travel from intersection to intersection to determine their habits, ie lane changer from light to light, 1st off the line, cellphone talker/texter (don't usually signal anything), arm waving talkers, heavy bass on Stereo,thump, thump, couldn't hear you anyway . Provide extra space around the above when you identify them.

Vary your speed when around other cars so you move ahead or behind them, so they are reminded of your presence.

Try to avoid steady riding anywhere behind the front doors to 5 feet behind the rear bumper, (Still allows them to move over, but very close for your comfort if it occurs), if ahead of the front doors, they may see/hear you

When approaching an intersection with someone turning right or crossing your path weave a little within the lane to again bring attention, as some drivers look for cars and don't register bikes so when you weave, it may catch attention

Allow drivers space, as most cars follow too close, so when they have to stop suddenly to avoid another vehicle in front, guess where they try to escape, into your lane, even if you move over in the your lane away from the vehicles, you buy space and time.

Generally most drivers I find are reasonable, but when it comes to stop signs, the definition of "stop" has been redefined to "quick glance and roll through", At a 4 way Stop sign intersection, if in doubt, you are better to yield than try to contest, flick of the helmet or wave through with glove helps remind the driver acts of courtesy are still around.

When approaching intersections, watch your back, again watching the driving habits helps determine attentiveness of the driver as noted above. If the light changes, can they stop, if you hear tires screeching behind you and the light is still yellow .......quick glance in all directions and move out of the way.

Some ideas I have put in practice

great ideas...tnx for the heads up

Yea these are great tips for driving as well. but of course, must be careful when we're at the blind spots cux we take up less space than cars.

In response to the blind spot issue you are right avoid it as much as possible. In moderate to heavy traffic, in some cases the spacing of the surrounding vehicles limit your options of staying completely out of blind spots for short periods. In these traffic situations by placing yourself as noted in the origianl post, you reduce your risk and increase your flexiblity to adapt to the everchanging traffic patterns.

Back
Top Bottom