Tips for buying a new bike from a dealer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for buying a new bike from a dealer?

macro

Hey everyone,

I've been shopping around looking for something and I almost pulled the trigger the other day. I've never bought anything brand new through a dealer before so I thought I'd ask here for any tips. Bike price was around 10,500, plus freight (500), financing fee (200), assembly (250 I think...). On top of that I added an akro pipe (1500) and heated grips (300) which he gave me 15% off but still charged me for installation.

I would be putting $5000 cash down on the bike. I asked to get rid of the freight, he said all he could do was reduce it to $250.

Thoughts?

I'm terrible at haggling but the usual spiel you'll get from the dealer is that margins are slim... so maybe half of freight is a decent? I'm not really sure... maybe offer him a BJer to get more money off, but 5K down is pretty hefty. Are you financing?

Yeah, financing the balance for 60 months at 3.49%, which I'm pretty happy with. I don't actually expect much more to be taken off the price, but I don't want to pay for install of the accessories. And an extended warranty wouldn't be bad either.

I think maybe put 3k down, pay for the acces. cash so they don't get lumped into the financing. I don't really want to pay interest on heated grips.

They are double dipping with the financing. They typically get a kick back from the financing provider for the Referal and then charge the customer an administration fee to processing the paper work.

It's ********.

Can you prove they get a kick back from the bank? No. And that is fine.

But ask them to justify why it costs $200 to apply for financing when you can get it from your own bank?

The rate is good. But, I'd see if your bank can do a line of credit for prime plus 2% which would be in the 3% range. The minimum payment would be interest but, you could set up preauthorized payment for higher and pay off the balance in a much shorter time.

Paying for a motorcycle for 60 months is crazy. You will be pining for your next bike and still have two years left.

Just my opinion. Do as you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only basic things really, some of which do not apply here:

- Contact a few dealerships to see what their OTD (Out the Door) pricing would be.
- Assuming the bike isn't a brand new model for this year, see if there are any unsold models from 1-2 years ago with deep discounts on them.
- Go in and chat. Never talk of financing up front, always get the OTD cash price of vehicle.
- If trading something in, leave it out until OTD price is confirmed, same for financing.
- Make sure to take advantage of any factory rebates at the time.
- Ask about waiving fees, if they can't, then see if they can meet half way.
- Depending on bike, see if maybe first service can the thrown in with the sale (esp if there is a valve check).
- Make sure any fees are in line with what you should be paying -- eg. fee for gas shouldn't exceed what the bike holds (so no $50 gas fee).
- Maybe use the tactic of needing more time to think, but if they could take another $100-200 off you'd sign that day. Just remember if they say no, then you should really follow through and walk.

In your case, I'd either forgo the accessories, or pay for them outright. Also not sure if you already have a bike and are riding, but if so I'd try to work out how much longer it would take to save the $5000 and just buy it outright. Arguably it shouldn't take too long, but if you are pining to ride and we are already in June, I can understand.

Last edited:
Charge for installation!? Doesn't the sales guy know these techs come dime a dozen? Itemize the lines and shop around. Get a feel. If you're over paying buy an uncomfortable amount, shop elsewhere. Don't expect miracles because you're the man with the cash. Sort of.

The dealer is an independent business and is there to sell the product at a profit.
Almost everything when buying a new vehicle is negotiable.
The previous posters have given you some examples.
A dealer doesn't hold the paper themselves when you finance. They get a commission for referring the business to a finance company.
So they are charging you a fee and getting a commission on top of it. Tell them to drop the fee.
In addition, why are you paying to install the extras?
They have people working in service area who are paid by the hour if they have work to do or not. Ask for a substantial discount on that.
They have already agreed to half the cost of the freight, so use that as guideline for the rest of the charges.
I can't believe they have the gall to charge you for assembly. How many bikes are sold in pieces.
And I have little doubt whatever this cost is has already been added to the price they are quoting you.

Last edited:
Buy the parts elsewhere. They are always jacked up at the dealer. install yourself.

Thanks for the tips guys. It's a 2016 fj-09, at Snow City.

You're all saying pretty much what I was thinking when it came to the fees. I'm fine with the base price of the bike. It's all the extras that kind of rankle me, and he didn't really want to budge on them it seemed.

I could buy the bike outright, but that would deplete my savings which I don't really want to do. I also would buy the accessories separate, not through the financing. I don't want to pay interest on grips and a pipe, but I don't want to pay install either if I'm buy a brand new bike from them. And I agree about the assembly fee, that's total BS. When he told me that I told him to sell it to me in the crate then and I'll build it myself.

I've been working out in Hamilton lately so I'm going to stop in to a dealer out there too and see what they say. As I said, this is my first time dealing with a salesman for any vehicle purchase so it's all a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks again!

Buy the parts elsewhere. They are always jacked up at the dealer. install yourself.
I looked, the akro pipe is the same price online and the grips are yamaha OEM and fit right in to the existing switch gear. The $1500 hard bags that DON'T FIT A HELMET I will be passing on however!

first of all, I know from researching the FZ07 that snow city is way overpriced...try Oakville Yamaha, Two Wheel in Guelph, and Performance in Cambridge...the guys in Cambridge had the best OTD price out of all the dealerships I called...

first of all, I know from researching the FZ07 that snow city is way overpriced...try Oakville Yamaha, Two Wheel in Guelph, and Performance in Cambridge...the guys in Cambridge had the best OTD price out of all the dealerships I called...
By OTD price, you mean sticker price on the bike before all the taxes and whatever other ******** they try and tag on?

By OTD price, you mean sticker price on the bike before all the taxes and whatever other ******** they try and tag on?

OTD typically means "Out The Door"...meaning the final amount you pay for the keys.

Also I know it is apples to oranges, but when I bought my CBR650FA, I had them remove all freight and PDI fees (about $500), and knock another $100 off the price of the bike. I also traded in my 250, but I negotiated that one separately/afterwards. This was also literally about 2 weeks after the bikes finally came to Canada.

When I bought my CBR250RA originally, I think I got about $250 off via factory rebates (was the previous years model), plus about $100 from the dealer, plus free first service. Also talked them down on the gas, as I think they wanted $50 when it only held about $12. First service was also about $500 on that bike (stupid valve check at 1000km), although sales didn't know that...lol

Cars are also a different story...much bigger markup, so much more room for negotiations. When I bought my car, I think I got somewhere around $3000-4000 off in the end (before taxes).

Last edited:
If you're in the Hamilton area, try Kelly's Cycle. They're a Yamaha dealer and they are really decent people.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

If you're in the Hamilton area, try Kelly's Cycle. They're a Yamaha dealer and they are really decent people.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
I'm going there Monday. I hate this sh**. Just sell it to me at a price where you can make money and I'm not getting screwed. How friggin hard is that?? We've moved past the barter system I thought.

If anyone reading this is a Yamaha salesman, PM me! :agave:

When I was looking for an FZ09 last year Brantford Cycle would offer up a special deal on one bike in their inventory every week. It would be materially discounted below what any other dealer was offering at the time. I suggest contacting Garnet to see if he may have a deal on the FJ09 you are interested in...

Price OTD from dealers on the phone seems to be the same across the board at around 11k (+HST). One place said up front they would reimburse me the price of the first service (since I'm not riding to KW for a service) and any accessories would be a free install.

SO, thanks again to everyone, there seems to be progress!

I bought my black FJ-09 May 15, list price, freight was 275.00, no assembly charge, OTS, OMVIC and licence totalled 41.00 plus I got 300.00 Costco off and 50.00 credit to my first service. Drive to Blackstock, Asselstine Country, great place, they have a XSR-900 and a FJ-09 (grey) in stock last I saw.

It is a great bike, you do not need the pipe now or maybe never, it is a fast bike stock, either get a bigger wind shield or stock up on earplugs, though.
Paid up front with no financing, sold my V-Strom before I went in so all cash.

Last edited:
I bought my black FJ-09 May 15, list price, freight was 275.00, no assembly charge, OTS, OMVIC and licence totalled 41.00 plus I got 300.00 Costco off and 50.00 credit to my first service. Drive to Blackstock, Asselstine Country, great place, they have a XSR-900 and a FJ-09 (grey) in stock last I saw.

It is a great bike, you do not need the pipe now or maybe never, it is a fast bike stock, either get a bigger wind shield or stock up on earplugs, though.
Paid up front with no financing, sold my V-Strom before I went in so all cash.

I forgot about Asseltines, I think my old man knows them. Thanks!

I know I don't neeeeeeeeeeed the pipe. But shooting flames is awesome, so, I kinda gotta have it. As for the windscreen, I have custom plugs, so those will have to do until I can replace it. What have you done for bags? I saw shad has a pretty nice set up for less than half the cost of the Yamaha set.

Back
Top Bottom