Thread leak - clutch | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thread leak - clutch

JFD

hey folks,

i'm installing a new clutch line onto my 06 stratoliner but the line is leaking where the stock line threads into it.

(imagine - new line banjo to the master. Runs down and has a threaded female block that connects to the frame securely. The remaning stock clutch lines thread into this block)

I can't remember if there's supposed to be a washer in there. The stock line is flared and seats onto a 'cone' in the block.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. With all the downtime having had to wait for parts, and now this, the frustration is getting higher than i'd like.

Thanks...

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
No washer is needed or possible - it is the same as an automotive brake line fitting. Don't take this personally but be careful of rounding off the flare nut - you should be using a flare wrench on that.

So just tighten the hell out of it?

Thanks for the suggestion of the wrench...

Take it back out and inspect it for damage or dirt on the thread would be optimal. Reinsert and try again, because I don't think you are suppose to use teflon tape on there. It's a pipe thread, no tighten it only until it stops leaking and hopefully it stops leaking before it snaps off.

As previous posts stated, the real seal is between the flare part and the bottom of the hole it fits into ;)
... they make a better wrench for that. google 'Brake Line Wrench'

You know if you can still get the OEM parts for that I would buy a new hose,
if not I still would not worry too much because it's not something that can not be made.

One potential pitfall to watch for:
592018d1501248322-what-size-fittings-brake-lines-dsc_0507-20aampccampcampa-20wt-20s_zps0kngkr1e.jpg

You definitely don't use teflon tape on those because they're NOT pipe threads. The purpose of the nut is to push the pipe tightly against the block. The threads themselves aren't meant to seal anything and it's the flare of the pipe that does the sealing. Be careful not to cross thread though, always start it with your fingers and use a wrench just to tighten.

Is the flare or the cone perfectly clean of corrosion or other residue? If not maybe fine emery paper could clean this up?

The final step in making a flare is a "clean up" pass.i think you can rent one and do that. Just be sure you have the correct tooling.

Last edited:
If the spec on the thread is NPT (National Pipe Thread) It's easy to spot, the threaded part is tapered. NPT is used in lots of brake systems. Not saying that is what he is dealing with, only that it really does exist and you should be watching for it.

Unless someone butchered the bike there is no way a Japanese bike has npt anywhere on the bike. If the connection is leaking then there is a problem with either the flare or the seat.

Back
Top Bottom