This Weather Sucks | GTAMotorcycle.com

This Weather Sucks

MacDoc

Site Supporter
geez....shouldv'e stayed in Australia.? Thought it might be reasonable this weekend.....nah

and now I'm concerned I'm going t be too warm in central BC in June... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
xPWvW1a.jpg

Very nice up here today. I hear the banshee wail of rice rockets off in the distance, occasional blubber of Harley pipes. Great riding weather so far.

It's been a ****** spring for those of us who started riding more than a week or two ago.

Today isn't as was originally forecasted yesterday which was at least for full sun. Now it's pretty much overcast.

Tomorrow was forecasted 2 days ago to be rainy, now it's forecasted to be warm (with some humidity, yay!) and sunny. We'll see how that pans out come tomorrow. Not far to the north the forecast goes to crap though - was supposed to be doing a ride up through Algonquin tomorrow but the forecast up there is for rain and thunderstorms, whilst showing nice down here. At this point, anyways. Seems that is apt to change.

At this point, Environment Canada can barely seem to get the forecast right even the same day. A few days ago the "Current Weather" showed as sunny...and I looked up to see nothing but overcast skies. :rolleyes:

Hate to say it, but this weather is typical for this time of year. Back in the day I would always go to watch the fireworks at ashe bridges bay on Victoria day. Weather was always hit and miss, rain or not. I think we have gotten spoiled with the mild weather over the past few years.

But that is life in Canada you get screwed with weather and taxes.

Sent from the moon!

Last edited:
Rain is hit and miss this time of year, agreed (Although statistically we are above average this spring, no question there, so there's reason to be grumpy) but the temperatures have been below normal as well...by a considerable sum.

Put both together, and it makes for grumpy motorcyclists.

On the bright side, next week is looking much improved in both rainfall and temperatures.

Weathers perfect, it's the flies that suk you guys are just so lucky black flies and mosquitoes can barely survive city of Toronto atmosphere.

I've noticed the cold weather has kept mosquitoes at bay. I live along a tributary of the Rouge, by this time we're usually getting eaten alive. Not a bite yet this year.

There is still an El Nino pattern driving rainfall up from the Gulf but the cooler weather is annoying.
BC is in a minor heat wave driving an early fire season.

arctic-northeast-temperature-anomaly-may-17-2019.jpg

Hot Arctic and a Chill in the Northeast: What’s Behind the Gloomy Spring Weather?BRENDA EKWURZEL, SENIOR CLIMATE SCIENTIST | MAY 17, 2019, 10:21 AM EDT

When temperatures hit the 80s Fahrenheit in May above latitude 40, sun-seekers hit the parks, lakes, and beaches, and thoughts turn to summer. By contrast, when temperatures lurk in the drizzly 40s and 50s well into flower season, northerners get impatient for summer. But when those 80-degree temperatures visit latitude 64 in Russia, as they just did, and when sleet disrupts Mother’s Day weekend in May in Massachusetts, as it just did, thoughts turn to: what is going on here?
Hot arctic
Before we jump into the science, let’s take a quick look at the unusual spring weather. This past weekend, Russia was the scene of record-high temperatures. A city above the Arctic circle—Arkhangelsk—recorded a high of 84 degrees Fahrenheit on May 11 at the Talagi Airport weather station. The average high temperature for Arkhangelsk this time of year is around 54 degrees Fahrenheit.
Gloomy weather
Meanwhile in the Northeast US, try having a conversation that doesn’t loop back to the endlessly gloomy, chilly, unseasonable weather. When gloomy weather becomes such a dominant topic of conversation in a region, a form of citizen science is occurring, and it tells you something: it is unusual, it is anomalous, it is downright wacky.
Many locations are not seeing the sun nearly as much as normal memory serves—and science confirms—for this time of year. The Long Island town of Islip, New York, recorded its longest streak of rainy days on record from April 20 to May 7. It rained for 21 days this April in Boston.
It’s not just in the Northeast: repeated rain events resulted in much of the contiguous US being ranked in the 99th percentile for soil moisture on May 14, including many of the Plain states (South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas) and most states eastward. This is a continuation of a high soil moisture ranking percentile pattern (see Jan – April 2019 in Figure 1). Soil moisture ranking percentile is from the 1948-2000 Climatology
As of this writing, there are headlines with exasperated tones wondering when winter will truly depart, including:

In that third article, Jason Samenow describes the abnormal late May forecast for snow, hail, tornadoes, flooding, and excessive heat to different parts of the contiguous US over upcoming days.

Hot Arctic and a Chill in the Northeast: What’s Behind the Gloomy Spring Weather?

of course we could be in the mid west US ....where they are getting hammered with tornadoes, storms, hail, et al

NatLoop.gif

Tomorrow looks good at least for a few hours.

Lovely out this morning...lots of riders at the Forks already. Wore my intermediate jacket and now I'm thinking I should do that for BC and not take the 3 season Scott which is heavy and too warm above 25 or so.
18 or so up at Belfountain. One of those straight to summer temps.

Awful number of riders getting a bit damp. There are showers tho nothing of consequence

SE wind made it much warmer in Belfountain than in Mississauga. Winds were a bit gusty coming down 410 ...bike is very light.....still very stable.

Last edited:
Busy at the Forks today, got a bit wet but not bad.
85dcc7e3050960bc6ba30954a2d431e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I went there too. Jammed. I didn't even stop. Kept going on my usual back roads. 25c in O'ville today, very nice but for the odd smatter of rain.

Yeah I escaped before noon.....not sure what was going on in the twistie part of the Forks road but I bailed out the dirt road and went up to Hockley...the traffic was light, lots of riders but not like the Forks crowd.
I'm on Aussie time so 8 am visits it is.

Beauty day out of Markham. Rounded Simcoe (boring but I did it with 3 first year riders), sun shine till 4, overcast thereafter -- a nice relief from the heat. no rain till 7:30.

Took a group to Avondale Dairy Bar then to Hutches for lunch on Sunday.
No rain but wow what weather changes.
Niagara On The Lake it was 28c
3 miles down the QEW it dropped to 18c then 5 mins later it was 11c
By the time we got to Hutches we were all throwing our jackets on.
Crazy windy back to Kitchener.
Pulled bike into garage and it started raining.
Pretty much a full day.

Back
Top Bottom