Thinking of buying a big boy bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of buying a big boy bike

jeff96

So I've returned to riding about 5 years ago. At first I tried to justify the decision with a small cheap fuel efficient bike.
CBR 125. Then a deal that I couldn't pass up on a 250.
I rode an Ontario cannonball 1000 with the 125 and a 4000km back roads trip on the 250.
Then I decided to f__ fuel mileage and got a GL650 Interstate just because it looked cool and it was cheap. I love the step up in power, luggage capacity and its oddball character. It's more nimble than I expected and the fairing is nice for my 80km commute which I do in almost any weather. It does gravel roads well enough with dual sport tires. The rattle can paint job has gotten a surprising number of compliments. ( kind of military surplus kind of vibe) It's taught me how to change head gaskets and a stator and track down a wiring short in a parking lot. Not bad for 900 bucks.

The down side is the time I've spent wrenching rather than riding (not a complete negative) and less range on a tank of fuel compared to other bikes I admire.

Here's the problem. The previous owner was selling because he bought a ST1100. He said as a pilot, the only thing he's felt accelerate like the 1100 is a turbine powered airplane. Who wouldn't want that sort of machine in their driveway?

So, I'm getting the itch. 1100's are relatively cheap and would be a comfortable commuter I would think. Even the 1300 comes up relatively cheap on Kijiji.
The other bike that appeals is the first gen Magna V45 or V65. Not as practical, but I like the old school look and it's reputation as a sleeper. Perhaps a V65 with a Hondaline fairing would be the ultimate sleeper and would keep me comfy on rainy commutes.

Would I be disappointed with those choices? Is there other bikes I should consider? Goldwings come to mind, but they don't catch my imagination as well as the other two. I'm biased towards Honda because of their reputation for longevity, but I'd consider any make of bike that is reliable.

On another note, somewhat banged up but reliable CBR for sale cheap and possibly a GL650

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

Good suggestions. I'm not ready to call sellers yet, though 2000seems very reasonable. There is the issue of two insured bikes in the driveway

I’ve eyeballed Honda’s a long time and there is a reason they have their fanboys. Many critics will say they have no character and utilitarian.

I think what you are looking for is something that can cruise for miles/kilometres and just needs fluid changes, tires etc.

The ST is a nice machine. Decent wind protection, many European countries law enforcement rides them for a reason.

Look for one that is well cared for as well as enjoyed.

Other Asian brands have sport touring machines that are worth a look as well. Just take your time and keep your eyes peeled for the right one and it will come to you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a 1986 V65 Magna. By 1986 they had no issues with the cams. (I owned 2 of them no issues) The V65 Magna is the best looking bike ever made. IMO. Fast as S#*t. If I was younger I would own one today.
I bought a 1984 V65 Magna in 85 and about 2 years later, the cams went on it, but Honda repaired it for free.

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_104018316.jpg
    IMG_20150815_104018316.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
The V65 Magna is the best looking bike ever made. IMO. Fast as S#*t. If I was younger I would own one today.

Really? I guess beauty really is subjective because I've always considered the Magna to be the ugliest bike ever made. headlight looks like it came off of a hillbilly's truck. Between the awkward looking rad and resevior and the pile of non-beautiful parts jammed into the V between the cylinders without any effort put into style I can't help but think that the bikes are missing some covers or fairings or something when I see one.

I'm sure they are fast and the design is utilitarian but they are sooo ugly. The double horns on the front, the upswept/downswept exhaust. ugly.

To each their own on looks. I don't like the look of many cruisers, but the Magna is an exception in my mind. I have become spoiled by having lockable compartments and always having rain gear and spare helmet along

ST1100 will go forever, lovely rush on the throttle, pig on gas, fantastic wind protection, big tank, bit top heavy ( those wings protect on tip overs,) insurance might be a bit pricey.

VFR800 maybe works not sure on price. My fav bucket list bike I never got to. :(

There's a VFR for under 3000 certified at the moment.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a DL1000. Next to Harleys, they seem to be the bike that riders love to hate.
There's some nice older BMW's. Is it true that they're expensive to maintain?

DL1000 better for the occasional gravel excursion than the ST1100 but nowhere near the weather protection. Hop over to StromTrooper for reliable VStrom info. There are ST riders forums as well.

Chilly ride in to work this morning on the CBR is reminding me why I like the old man fairing so much

......... because he bought a ST1100. He said as a pilot, the only thing he's felt accelerate like the 1100 is a turbine powered airplane. Who wouldn't want that sort of machine in their driveway?

So, I'm getting the itch. 1100's are relatively cheap and would be a comfortable commuter I would think. Even the 1300 comes up relatively cheap on

...........ST1100 will go forever, lovely rush on the throttle, pig on gas, fantastic wind protection, big tank, bit top heavy ( those wings protect on tip overs,) insurance might be a bit pricey................

I've had my ST1100 since 2003 and it now has 136,000 km on it. You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable bike and there are lots of relatively low mileage ones still out there, same with the ST1300. If you are looking for build quality, longevity and general bang for the buck both the 1100 and the 1300 offer great value.

Several people I ride with have well over 200,000 km on their ST's and they work well, zero oil usage between changes. But, like any vehicle the ST requires proper maintenenace and a 20 year old bike with 50,000 km on it, but never a coolant change, original brake fluid, oringial fork oil, OEM shock is going to require a lot of work vs. a 20 year 100,000 km bike where fluids are changed every 2 years, valve clearances checked, etc......... Make sure you check and validate PM work to the extent you can.

There's some nice older BMW's. Is it true that they're expensive to maintain?
Who told you that, somebody that does none of their own maintenance?

Yep, BMW motorcycle shops charge about a hundred bucks per hour to do maintenance servicing, just like Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, KTM, Harley Ferguson and any other motorcycle shop you can think of.

Harley Ferguson. Nice jab ;-)

The last time I took a bike to a shop, it was the insurance company paying the tab. Some bikes are harder to work on than others. The Tupperware comes off of the old GL easier than most bikes; I know I've been spoiled by that

Back
Top Bottom