'The Rise & Fall of Harley Davidson' - Business Insider | GTAMotorcycle.com

'The Rise & Fall of Harley Davidson' - Business Insider

OSIRIS_001

Site Supporter
Issues - Core Customer is Aging - Cost is Prohibitive - Not Super Practical - Brand hasn't captivated the Millennial Generation

and ...

CEO has stepped down

More Expensive to manufacture US Goods with imported raw materials

Video Here

They're a long way from fallen yet. Still the best selling large motorcycles. Find me an M/C manufacturer outside of Indian whose sales are doing well. The industry is in decline. Millennials may not buy Harleys, but they're not buying anything else either.

They're a long way from fallen yet. Still the best selling large motorcycles. Find me an M/C manufacturer outside of Indian whose sales are doing well. The industry is in decline. Millennials may not buy Harleys, but they're not buying anything else either.

BMW Motorrad has once again dominated the worldwide motorcycle market. In 2019, the Bavarian manufacturer sold 175,162 motorcycles and maxi-scooters – a 5.8-percent increase over 2018 sales (165,566 units).

In the business year 2019 PIERER Mobility Group sold 280,099 motorcycles under the brands KTM and HUSQVARNA and achieved the 9th record year in a row. The sales volume increased by about 7% compared to the previous year.

Those are both great "fun with statistics" posts, but BMW's scooter sales and KTM's dirt bike sales are not typically large motorcycle sales. Overall, when you look at large bikes (600cc+) suitable for daily and long-term use, HD sales still hold their own. You could say, "Well, Royal Enfield and Indian..." but let's be real: we're in North America and that's where sales are declining across the board.

Quite apart from that, Matthew Levatich has had FOUR YEARS of declining sales and the shareholders are tired of his excuses. It was time for him to go.

Popcorn watching... let's see this go kablooey.
As for your statements, Mr. Roadghost, you contradict yourself...
"HD sales still hold their own" and "FOUR YEARS of declining sales..." which is it?

And, nobody said anything about "large motorcycle sales" only. That's something you interjected.

Last edited:
"HD sales still hold their own" and "FOUR YEARS of declining sales..." which is it?

To explain that, what I mean is that although sales of motorcycles are down across the board 12%, HD has held their percentage share of the market last time I looked.

And, nobody said anything about "large motorcycle sales" only. That's something you interjected.

If you're talking about Harley Davidson, you're talking about large motorcycles. HD sales have been declining albeit not as a percentage of market share. The shareholders won't care about the rest of the market though. They don't want excuses. So, goodbye CEO.

Let's face it, this guy came into a company with piles of cash and good sales numbers. His new products didn't catch on and sales suffered. He deserves to be fired.

To be fair, he had 25 years at the helm through good years and bad. I can't think of too many companies that can make that claim.

HD revenues and profits are 4x that of KTM, and probably bigger than BMW/Motorad. Neither is a big threat as HD has trounced them in North America -- they both have about <5% of the North American market share by shipments, by all definitions they are niche players here.

HD has faced and will continue to face market headwinds for a while. I don't think its so much their bikes, it's the market -- small bikes are growing slowly, bikes 600cc and up are taking a hit in North America. That doesn't mean HD should chase the 125 to 450cc dualsport and scooter market that's growing KTM and BMW. HD is actively developing foreign markets an has small bikes coming to Asia soon, lets see whether they find their way over here.

They see it's time for some fresh leadership, good for them -- at least they did it when they are flush with cash and still gushing profit.

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom