The rise, fall, and revival of DIY motorcycle garages | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The rise, fall, and revival of DIY motorcycle garages

Mitigate does not equate remove.
True, but insurance companies know how to measure and charge for risk.

I think the demise of the DIY MC garages is one of cost and a small potential market to start with.
I can see the cost of opening then running such a business to be way beyond the expected revenue; even the most optimistic revenue projections pairing it with a good coffee shop experience. There just isn't enough condo dwelling MC owners who are either interested in or capable of doing their own work, or ones who have an old enough bike that would require much work.

For one to exist for any term I think it would need to be a "passion play" kind of business where the owner REALLY, REALLY loves the concept and execution and is willing to accept the work load and financial return. He'd also need either a favorable lease or to own the building outright.

True, but insurance companies know how to measure and charge for risk.

I think the demise of the DIY MC garages is one of cost and a small potential market to start with.
I can see the cost of opening then running such a business to be way beyond the expected revenue; even the most optimistic revenue projections pairing it with a good coffee shop experience. There just isn't enough condo dwelling MC owners who are either interested in or capable of doing their own work, or ones who have an old enough bike that would require much work.

For one to exist for any term I think it would need to be a "passion play" kind of business where the owner REALLY, REALLY loves the concept and execution and is willing to accept the work load and financial return. He'd also need either a favorable lease or to own the building outright.
That's the Flying Squirrel model. You become a member, store your bike on site, they do whatever basic, regular maintenance you require and you have access to the coffee house/restaurant and clubhouse. I believe they even have a concierge service - pick you up at your condo and drop you off when you're done riding (correct me if I'm wrong).
The owner also owns the building so fixed costs can be calculated, but I don't see it making all that much money.
BTW, Royal Enfield Toronto moved out last year - they are at 336 Birchmount Rd. now.

Last edited:
That's the Flying Squirrel model. You become a member, store your bike on site, they do whatever basic, regular maintenance you require and you have access to the coffee house/restaurant and clubhouse. I believe they even have a concierge service - pick you up at your condo and drop you off when you're done riding (correct me if I'm wrong).
The owner also owns the building so fixed costs can be calculated, but I don't see it making all that much money.
BTW, Royal Enfield Toronto moved out last year - they are at 336 Birchmount Rd. now.

Not sure if they do maintenance, they weren’t clear on what was allowed or not. I got the feeling if your service work took under a day, YOU could do it yourself there.

Mitigate does not equate remove.
I was discussing liabilities with a lawyer and he pointed out that on top of the financial cost there were the numerous untimely requests for information.

What was said by who, where and when?

I need a copy of document 17B by tomorrow noon.

There is a proposal that needs a reply within 48 hours. Where are you vacationing?

Not sure if they do maintenance, they weren’t clear on what was allowed or not. I got the feeling if your service work took under a day, YOU could do it yourself there.
The absolute worst DIY risk I've seen was at Port Credit Marina a few decades ago. They were letting a few amateurs build fiberglass boats (30 to 40 feet) inside the huge terminal warehouse. There were drums of resins, solvents and cleaners with extension cords snaking everywhere. Garbage clean up was sporadic.

Work on the boats continued during the winter with various space heaters being used. Simultaneously the marina brought many many millions of dollars of boats into the building for seasonal storage. If access was needed to fight a fire it would be through a maze of propped up boats and a turn of luck could have them toppling on fire crews.

I assume an insurance underwriter saw the risk and I don't think there are any amateurs left working inside the building.

I spoke quite a bit, maybe 8-10 years ago to the guys at Skidmark Garage in Cleveland. Solid good dudes. Glad to see them mentioned in the article and still in business.

Interview here: skidmark garage - bikerMetric

Their website here: The Garage | Skidmark Garage
There will be certain places where this could work. For something like this to work, following Skidmarks model might give it a shot:

Forming a community - capitalizing on the social aspect
Derive income from:
  • Monthly Storage
  • Sales of parts - OE, aftermarket and custom
  • Shop rental for lifts, tools
  • Subleted space to real motorcycle mechanics
  • Revenue generating services - repairs, restorations, courses
The challenge is space costs. In Toronto, light industrial in a grotty core location will run $17/sq+TMI+taxes In Cleveland that's $3 +TMI+taxes. A 5000,sq shop would have lease overheads of $125K, in Cleveland that would be $40K. The difference of $85K covers a decent part of the owner's salary, which maybe the lynchpin for success.

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if their insurance rates are less too.
I wonder about their right to sue laws and ambulance chasers. If they protect themselves by poverty, keeping any valuables outside of limited ownership, maybe.

Should be interesting. I'm through that area weekly.
Cafe, retail shop, food and patio

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 7.15.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Downside is CR9 wasn't as busy as River Rd. It will be now. Let's hope people respect the local home owners and don't ruin it for everyone else or it will follow River Rd with 50km/h speed limits.

Back
Top Bottom