The REAL cost of owning a motorcycle… | GTAMotorcycle.com

The REAL cost of owning a motorcycle…

gixxer_dave

Greetings,

I bought my first motorcycle at the beginning of April 2011, and for any of you on the fence about what bike to buy, and how much to spend, take a closer look below of a blurb I’ve written below which summarizes my experiences with the REAL cost of owning a motorcycle. Now, before you jump to conclusions, this is by no means a rant, or complaint, just an experience and a story of my first season. I had some idea of the costs that would be involved, but, not all of them. And, if I knew I couldn’t afford to financially back my decision to take part in the joy of motorcycling, I would have stayed the hell away. My career and current level of income provided the funding, so, I got started! I’ve detailed the article with a convenient chronological list of what I bought and when (and why!)…

So, Step 1 – Write your M1 and buy/borrow some entry-level gear and take the motorcycle training course at a College or Institution of your choice to figure out if you are actually into motorcycling. Sure, you can borrow gear, but, being 6’3” and 260 pounds with larger than average noggin… who is going to have size 15 boots and gear to lend me?

M1,.................................................$17.50
Motorcycle Training Course,………………….$440.00
Shift 3-in-1 Mesh/Waterproof Jacket,…..$305.09
Joe Rocket Helmet,………………………………..$183.05
Icon Accelerant Riding Boots,………………..$144.63
TOTAL,…………………………………………………..$1,090.27

Step 2 – I found out I love motorcycling. So, naturally, I start shopping for a bike. If you want to discuss what bike to get for a starter bike, go see the 1000s of other threads on the internet!… I bought a 2009 GSX-R600 for reasons that I won’t even discuss here, so I can avoid these repetitive arguments. Well, let’s just say, I wanted the bike, I liked the bike, I could afford the bike, so, I bought the bike. End of discussion. What are the costs associated with this?

2009 Pearl White Suzuki GSX-R600,…………$7,600.00 (after some negotiation)
Taxes payable to the government,……………$988.00 (ouch!)
Full coverage Insurance for 1 year,………….$1,452.71 (26 years old, no convictions, SF)
Plates/Permit,…………………………………………….$20.00
License Plate Stickers,……………………………….$42.00
TOTAL,………………………………………………………$10,102.71

Step 3 – And, you start riding. Learning skills, learning your bike, learning how to react to a new crop of cagers found on every street of every town. Now you get in to maintenance fees, and topping it up with high test gas every so often…

64 Fill-ups and over 11,000kms traveled,…..$1,011.83
2 Oil Changes (Synthetic) w/ Filter,…………….$121.14
Spark Plugs,………………………………………………….$49.67
New Tires (Mounted/Balanced),……………………$379.28
Misc Tools to perform maintenance,…………….$26.48
Front and Rear stands,…………………………………$146.89
Battery Tender,…………………………………………….$56.49
Labour,………………………………………………………….$0 (I do all the work myself
clip_image001.gif
)
TOTAL,………………………………………………………….$1,791.78

Step 4 – Optional for some, second nature and a necessity to many: The tuner bug. The bike was too quiet, exhaust is too restrictive, and, apparently, not powerful enough, blah blah blah, so, I start to modify the bike…

Akrapovic shorty stainless exhaust and headers,…….$1095.85
Power Commander 5,………………………………………………..$314.84
Labour,……………………………………………………………………….$0
TOTAL,……………………………………………………………………….$1410.69

Step 5 – Then, I start to aesthetically modify things… I just can’t help myself.

Shorty Pazzo Levers,……………….$225.00
Black Windscreen,…………………….$25.38
Rizoma Bar Ends,……………………..$70.36 (complete waste of money… another story..)
DDM 6000K HID Kit,…………………$54.98
TOTAL,…………………………………….$375.72

Step 6 – Then I develop a sweet-tooth for building a big plethora of new bike gear… I attend shop sales, cruise local shops and buy all sorts of stuff…

Speed and Strength Leather Jacket,…….$288.88
Teknic Chicane Leather Riding Pants,……$169.88
Shoei RF1100 and Chrome Visor,………….$479.78 (www.cyclegear.com)
Ogio Tail Bag,…………………………………………$85.47
Ogio No Drag Bag,………………………………….$100.00
Gauntlet Gloves,…………………………………….$56.36
TOTAL,…………………………………………………..$1180.37

Bringing the grand total to…$15,951.54

Interestingly, the total cost for the first season, is approximately twice the price of the motorcycle I bought… Take that into consideration!

Oh, and let’s not forget, Step 7 – Do my research and dreaming, and make a list of things to buy over the long and cold winter months J Sometimes I wish the spending would slow down, but, hey, it’s all worth it.

Factory Pro Velocity Stacks,………………..$225.00 (estimated)
Dynojet Autotune,………………………………..$220.00 (estimated)
Dyno Tuning,………………………………………..$500.00+
Frame Sliders,……………………………………..$116.99 (estimated)
BMC High Flow Air Filter,…………………….$75.95
Riding courses to advance my skills:….$1000+…
Race Bike and all the fixings..............Sky's the limit!

And if the opportunity came around, I’d do it all over again! No regrets. I absolutely love the sense of enjoyment I get out of riding. Undeniably, one of the best feelings in the world! Please feel free to share your comments, criticisms and opinions! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Cheers,
Dave from Kitchener, Ontario
(Gixxer_Dave)

IMG_4714-Copy.jpg

honestly i didn't even think of these things. I got my license, bought the bike and started filling and riding. If you think about these things it is gonna affect your riding. ;)
wicked bike by the way!

Great writeup Dave

By the way I am enjoying the 2Brs slipon.

That's about right. It's actually not bad considering what you get out of everything. For the price of a small, crappy car, you can get into motorcycling.

Hrmm...small, crappy car....or super awesomeness?

...small, crappy car....

...super awesomeness....

It's a no brainer really :D

Wait until you start adding in track time or taking trips to Deals Gap - then the bills start adding up faster !
Good right up - that there is a guy with the riding bug !

This sounds about right. Take the cost of your bike, and multiply by 1.5-2 for the real cost before you even turn a wheel.

the 7,600 for the bike could have been a lot less, and the 988 you paid in taxes you got pwned by the govt. shoulda just said you got the bike for 2k

My first bike is a 2006 GSX-R 750 with a few upgrades minus the full Akra exhaust, I just got the slip on because well... I'm not racing the thing, I just wanted the sweet sound/look.

Just added all my spendings with the price of the bike, upgrades and gear. I'm somewhere around the 10,000$ mark... Not counting gas, oil, filters, etc...

My first bike is a 2006 GSX-R 750 with a few upgrades minus the full Akra exhaust, I just got the slip on because well... I'm not racing the thing, I just wanted the sweet sound/look.

Just added all my spendings with the price of the bike, upgrades and gear. I'm somewhere around the 10,000$ mark... Not counting gas, oil, filters, etc...
you got a super sport for your first bike and you're not dead yet?? this cannot be true...how dare you not get a 125 or 250 lol

but the coolness that comes with a bike is just priceless!!!

I agree up to step 3. Sounds about spot on for me, this being my first season.

I have yet to get into the modding and enhancements involved with 4 and above.

you got a super sport for your first bike and you're not dead yet?? this cannot be true...how dare you not get a 125 or 250 lol

Nothing wrong with starting on an SS if you are mature enough and don't mind being patient learning how to properly ride.
I Put 10,000 KM's this season (I work 7 days a week, 10-12 hour shifts, not a lot of time to ride) so far and haven't had any screw ups, close calls, lowsides, highsides, etc...
Not saying that this couldn't happen even with experienced riders, but I'm very cautious and careful any time I throw a leg over the bike.

1st bike in 1985 - 1976 RD400 = $400
Simpson Bandit helmet = $400
Leather Jacket + Gloves + Boots (these were second hand bought from a friend for $60) = $350
Insurance for 1 year = $114

Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom