The beginning of the end for Northern Ireland road racing | GTAMotorcycle.com

The beginning of the end for Northern Ireland road racing

I don't see this form of racing continuing for much longer at all.

6 dead at Ilse of Mann last year + life changing injuries (Boothy from 44 teeth as an example)

You will not be able to get insurance at any price soon enough.

Sad to see it go.

I knew about Irish roadracing but wasn't well read into it - I had always assumed that the events were just not insured to begin with

I think the insurance issues relate to the public rather than the racers and trackside folks who will sign waivers. Some of these events go through towns, so it's impossible to completely isolate the public. Not to mention the nutbars who like to sit on the outside of corners. See various rally racing footage for bananas examples of that...

I think the insurance issues relate to the public rather than the racers and trackside folks who will sign waivers. Some of these events go through towns, so it's impossible to completely isolate the public. Not to mention the nutbars who like to sit on the outside of corners. See various rally racing footage for bananas examples of that...
I've never understood that. If I am watching something up close I try to be out of the way of mishaps. Either inside of a corner or at least behind a pole to stop the big chunks. How so many idiots actually stand in the corner and then dive out of the way during rally racing and so few get hurt, I'll never understand. It's crap for drivers if nothing else. Just need to keep your foot in it and hope they move in time.

My understanding is that the bulk of the cost is the public liability coverage. The original article contains this snippet. I believe 'excess' is what we'd call the 'deductible':
Public liability insurance is now upwards of £400,000.
The BBC understands the motorcycle union has also been asked to pay an excess of £300,000 in the result of any claim - this includes rider accidents - and £100,000 excess for a property claim.
So the governing body could be left with £800,000 extra in costs in 2023.

I've never understood that. If I am watching something up close I try to be out of the way of mishaps. Either inside of a corner or at least behind a pole to stop the big chunks. How so many idiots actually stand in the corner and then dive out of the way during rally racing and so few get hurt, I'll never understand. It's crap for drivers if nothing else. Just need to keep your foot in it and hope they move in time.

It's Northern Ireland. They're all a bit cookoo over there... racers and fans alike.

Back
Top Bottom