That's right folks: Speed doesn't kill. Pigeons do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

That's right folks: Speed doesn't kill. Pigeons do?

HorizonXP

Pretty spectacular story out of the UK:
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-bizarre/rider-survives-140mph-pigeon-crash/18919.html

Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash
Bizarre collision with a pigeon causes motorcyclist to accelerate to 140mph whilst unconscious

Posted: 1 September 2011
by Visordown News

AMAZINGLY a motorcyclist survived being knocked out after hitting a pigeon at 50mph, which caused him to accelerate to 140mph whilst unconscious.
Matthew Brealy, 38, collapsed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 after the low-flying pigeon smashed through his helmet visor, leaving him unconscious but resulting in him opening the throttle - accelerating from 50 to 140mph.
After impact he remained on the bike and continued for a further 200 yards before the bike ploughed into an oak tree. Mr Brealy, from Whittington Moor in Chesterfield, suffered two skull fractures with bleeding to his brain, a broken leg, cracked ribs and a fractured hand in the crash.
He spent ten weeks in Sheffield's Northern General hospital following the accident in April, where his hand was re-wired and a titanium rod inserted in his leg. He is now learning to walk again with help from his pregnant wife Emma.
Describing the incident to the Daily Mail, Matthew said: "It smashed through my helmet visor and even smashed the lens of my glasses, I was doing about 50 mph at the time and the impact knocked me unconscious.
"It appears that I collapsed on the front of my bike and at the same time I hit the throttle so the bike just accelerated out of control.

"Police told me afterwards they estimated that the bike had gone from 50 mph to around 140 mph in a matter of seconds but thankfully for me it happened on a straight road which is why I probably didn't fall off the machine.

"My bike hit an oak tree with a glancing blow, I was thrown clear and the machine was smashed to pieces under the impact.

"Police confirmed a pigeon was the cause of the accident. My visor was left with a hole in it and I was covered in pigeon blood and feathers."

glad the guy's ok, wondering how passer-by and other traffic react to seeing him as he was riding unconscious

That's a lot crazier that some kite string!

Wuss! A GTAM member hit a deer and stayed on 2 wheels, happened a couple of years back in the Hammer area, even had the blood and fur to show for it :cool:

The centuries-old sport of pigeon racing (and pigeons) should be banned!

That's a crazy story and hope the rider can recovery as much as possible. Sounds like he's well on his way.
Damn rats with wings lol.

that's pretty crazy.

My coworker's friend was killed by a pheasant, while riding.

Speed maims?

It's actually the delta v that kills.

And that's why visor thickness is a consideration when I buy a helmet. Amazing that he survived. Although he talks as if staying on the bike was a good thing but I kind of wonder if falling off at 50 MPH would've been better than smashing into a tree at 140 MPH.

And that's why visor thickness is a consideration when I buy a helmet. Amazing that he survived. Although he talks as if staying on the bike was a good thing but I kind of wonder if falling off at 50 MPH would've been better than smashing into a tree at 140 MPH.

That's obscene! I'm so happy to hear this rider survived!

That's obscene! I'm so happy to hear this rider survived!
What did I say that was obscene? I'm happy he survived as well... :confused:

That's exactly what I was thinking

Wow....speedy recovery to the rider, that's crazy....though in hindsight, not terribly unpredictable

I agree that I would prefer to fall off and roll around a bit at 50mph than to smack a tree at over twice the speed limit of our Ontario highways...

I don't know what was crazier, the pigeon flying through his visor or the fact he managed to stay on the bike knocked out doing 140mph.

Back
Top Bottom