Thank you Tennessee! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thank you Tennessee!

justride

This was my first riding in The Smoky Mountains and my first riding in the States.
It's a long drive so I am glad we had a pickup truck and a trailer. took turns driving
The roads to start getting windier and elevation changes are more and more apparent (my ears popped) going through Virginia and West Virginia mountains.
scenery is awesome.
The roads are in great shape and there are plenty of twisties to choose from. (Check out ShaneKingsley Another Rip into the Smokies) The map Shane is referring to is the Motorcycle Touring Map. I got mine at the Welcome Center in Gatlinburg and also got two copies from a gas station. The map came in real handy when planning out the days rides also when we lost cell connection in the mountains. I got a Motorcycle Touring Map of Pennsylvania when we were passing through. Wish I stopped at the Welcome Centre in Virginia and West Virginia to pick there Motorcycle Touring Map (guessing they have them too)
Just be warned the Smokey Mountains is not a great idea for new riders. You don't have to be a great rider but you have to be a competent one. Yes, the mountains are beautiful but also very dangerous. Blind corners, steep elevation changes and the chance of going over the side of a mountain are real.
We found the people very friendly down there. Love the Southern accent.

as much as my politics have veered to progressive last decade or so
I have to agree the folks in bible belt red states are a great bunch when you're visiting

as much as my politics have veered to progressive last decade or so
I have to agree the folks in bible belt red states are a great bunch when you're visiting

This^.

A good friend of mine lives about 45 minutes from the gap. Last time i was down there, he showed me 2 days worth of roads that were as good as the gap. Maybe better because people on the other roads seemed to know what the centerline is for.
I have only done the gap once. Idiots crossing the centerline are the reason i will never go back.

Glad to hear you had a good trip! Maybe next time if you have the time and the desire, try making a longer trip out of it and ride there and back on all the backroads.
I'd go down there 3x a summer if I had enough time off work.

A good friend of mine lives about 45 minutes from the gap. Last time i was down there, he showed me 2 days worth of roads that were as good as the gap. Maybe better because people on the other roads seemed to know what the centerline is for.
I have only done the gap once. Idiots crossing the centerline are the reason i will never go back.

I agree plenty of great roads in the area . I always hit the gap in the early AM when it`s relatively calm . As the day progresses things get crazy.

SO many great roads in the area. The Tail of the Dragon was only the morning and afternoon commute to get to the roads we really wanted to be on. I need to get down there again soon.

So much fun! Mad Maps is what we used to use. Smokey Mtn edition.

Back
Top Bottom