Tenere 700 Clutch issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tenere 700 Clutch issue

ScorpionT16

I've had this bike since new, and at around the 2k mark the clutch started making a very odd grinding sound on startup when engaged and just leaving the friction zone into first. It's not always there, sometimes when cold, sometimes when warmed up. I use Motul 7100 and do oil changes every 7-8k. With fresh oil it's less present, though still there

It can be a short grinding burst, or a long one depending on how one feathers the clutch and the bike's mood. It's been at the dealer since Nov, and the mechanic heard it once, and now says they can't so won't warranty it unless I pay for them to open it up. (Quoted 4hrs labor @$120, so not an option as they could find nothing and I foot a bill).

Any Idea what it could be? Should I just replace the friction plates and see?

Oh snap, similar thing happening to me, sounds like a "duck" quacking, about right. So I just let it slide and forget about it? no pun intended

Don’t know. What I will say is I’m seriously considering one of these bikes (why I knew about that thread) and it doesn’t put me off at all. I would probably just run it but doubt that’s the right answer.

It seems like the clutch plates are getting stuck together. There is a link in that thread to a MT07 forum where some owners were having the same issue. One guy pulled the clutch plates and soaked them which fixed the problem for a while. Might be worth a shot.

I've got 10k on mine this year, zero clutch issues.
In fact the only issue I've had is not enough time to ride it lol.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Its not that big of a deal, I guess it's normal in some cases. Just never happened on the Honda or Suzuki I had, though I didn't ride either of those as hard as I do the T7. Doing wheelies every take off probably doesn't help lol - End of next season I'll put in new clutch plates and see, I'm over 20k kms as it is

@blackcamaro come summer/spring, if you want to give it a ride, let me know.

Don’t know. What I will say is I’m seriously considering one of these bikes (why I knew about that thread) and it doesn’t put me off at all. I would probably just run it but doubt that’s the right answer.

It seems like the clutch plates are getting stuck together. There is a link in that thread to a MT07 forum where some owners were having the same issue. One guy pulled the clutch plates and soaked them which fixed the problem for a while. Might be worth a shot.
On an old Honda, the clutch was getting sad so I pulled it apart and replaced all the clutch plates. When it came apart, it was clear that most of the plates were stuck and I would probably have been ok just getting everything moving again and putting the original parts back in. Since I was already in there and I had the new parts beside me the new parts went in. Next time I will pull the clutch apart before ordering parts to inspect.

I called to pick the bike up from the dealer, and they have a bunch of charges ready for me to pay and won't release the bike till I do.

When I dropped it of, they said it could be under warranty, I was given no invoice or fees, or informed of any, and I'm the one who had to go back and forth to ask what's happening. When they closed, I wasn't even informed. I asked for them to quote a new sprocket/chain, and rotor... I got a $1.2k quote for just that. I'll do it myself, and not even get the parts from them like I was going to, or bother returning.

I know I'll have no choice other than to pay, its not even the money that bothers me, its the fact that I ended up diagnosing the issue myself, chasing them, and they didn't say this, or give an invoice upfront before touching the bike. Then send it after getting the bike, 3 months later with no resolution...

I know I'll have no choice other than to pay, its not even the money that bothers me, its the fact that I ended up diagnosing the issue myself, chasing them, and they didn't say this, or give an invoice upfront before touching the bike. Then send it after getting the bike, 3 months later with no resolution...
send them a invoice for your time

why do dealers have to be this way?? and it appears to be a lot of them.

I completely understand getting a bill for mechanics time to look at a problem, test ride, run an engine. Its all part of the process, but chasing them to look at things, having "stunted conversations" , like anybody else reporting this?? Nope!! what about the owners forum with everybody having this issue?? never heard of them, we get our service bulletins from Yamaha....
Good mechanics are in so short supply.

Water or gasoline in your oil will do it.
Either will make the rubberized cork plates swell.
Probably why it was not so pronounced after your last oil change.

... not the clutch plate "slipping" but the noise. Clutch plates should not be slipping or you have something not right inside there mechanically, typically they don't break free on cold start, you described the opposite scenario :unsure: If a cork breaks loose or folds, that can cause a wet clutch to not release.

The chatter/grind noise on the video does not sound like it is coming from your clutch plates imo should be lower pitch if it was. Hold your back brake on so nothing else moves, now you will only hear the clutch.

Last edited:
A couple of oil related questions.................. Does your bike manual stipulate use of synthetic? If not, the likelihood is that it came with dino as it is cheaper. At what km was the first oil change done and was this before or after the noise started? If the noise started after you put synthetic into it before doing anything expensive I'd simply change out the oil and refill with non synthetic to see if it eliminates this issue. Relative to other "fixes" and diagnostic work this would be a dirt cheap test to see if it resolves the issue.

Dampness will definitely have an effect.I had a Hypermotard with a slightly open clutch cover that sounded like Chewbacca when pulling away from a stop.Scary, but fun.?
QGa1qr7.jpg

why do dealers have to be this way?? and it appears to be a lot of them.

I completely understand getting a bill for mechanics time to look at a problem, test ride, run an engine. Its all part of the process, but chasing them to look at things, having "stunted conversations" , like anybody else reporting this?? Nope!! what about the owners forum with everybody having this issue?? never heard of them, we get our service bulletins from Yamaha....
Good mechanics are in so short supply.

I understand paying for time, however they did ride it, the mechanic heard a noise, then said he needs to ride it again to hear it more... this went on for 3 months, till they said they can't do anything. I called a friend who used to be a motorcycle mechanic and owns a T7 now, he explained why it's normal and just keep going, he said this in less than 3 mins of his time.

I never told the dealer to spend half a day on the bike, the issue is just when taking off and can be heard before even leaving the shop. They didn't touch a bolt, the ecu, or put any labor into it other than pressing the clutch. Only invoice they sent me was to open it up if I wanted to proceed further, which I declined. I'm okay paying for time, though close to $200, for an unresolved issue that people on this forum helped with more, is not fair imo... I could have just got new clutch plates and had change to spare. I was only told there would be a charge if they opened the gearbox themselves to see, vs Yamaha giving it under warranty.

A couple of oil related questions.................. Does your bike manual stipulate use of synthetic? If not, the likelihood is that it came with dino as it is cheaper. At what km was the first oil change done and was this before or after the noise started? If the noise started after you put synthetic into it before doing anything expensive I'd simply change out the oil and refill with non synthetic to see if it eliminates this issue. Relative to other "fixes" and diagnostic work this would be a dirt cheap test to see if it resolves the issue.

It came with mineral oil, first oil change was by the dealer at 1k, replacing it with full synthetic yamalube. Since, I do oil changes every 7-8k, and use Motul 7100 full synthetic. The noise started at around the 4-5k kms mark

The Ducati dry clutch is like the song the strippers dance to, you hate that song, but there is so much else going on that is just intoxicating you cant not feign interest.

OP- I checked the specs but can't find any information regarding whether or not it has a deceleration slipper clutch ?
If it does, the noise may be quite normal on initial cold start.
I was helping a buddy replace a clutch in a 2020 Honda 300 Rebel and after we were done it made one heck of a racket. We took it apart again just to double check and everything inside was fine. The noise you're hearing may simply be normal.

Back
Top Bottom