Tell me again why you need hyper-sport tires on the street? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tell me again why you need hyper-sport tires on the street?

I was running the Bridgestone RS10 (Hypersport tire) at the track about 1.5 weeks ago without any issues at all.
Was in yellow group, and the only person who passed me was Katatonic (under the power of his Tuono) and a fellow who, if I recall correctly was a SOAR racer on full slicks.

Was I at the limit of the RS10? No. Close? maybe. I used to run slicks a while back in red group, but had to sell the penny and warmers to make ends meet during COVID.

So Hypersport tires are well beyond what anyone needs on the street, unless you're doing nothing but carving canyons in California or railing the Dragon or other areas that are insanely twisty and fun.

nobody "needs" a hypersport tire but if you don't commute or put that many miles on in a season anymore it's nice to have the grip in reserve for occasionally horsing around.

I used to run sporty rubber in the front and sport touring in the rear but sometimes in "fun" road situations the rear would certainly move around a bit a lot sooner than would be normal with a hypersport tire or slick on track

using lean angle as "proof" (saying you were dragging foot pegs on both sides) that your sport touring tires are good enough for any task is a bit misleading - modern sport touring tires do support high lean angles on most bikes but you don't really crash a bike leaning it over too far, you crash by bringing too much brake into a turn, or trying to get on the power too fast coming out

using lean angle as "proof" (saying you were dragging foot pegs on both sides) that your sport touring tires are good enough for any task is a bit misleading - modern sport touring tires do support high lean angles on most bikes

Agreed. Most times you'll be dragging hard parts before you run out of rubber.

My old sv650s when I bought it had super sport tires on it. One of them had to be replaced. I choose to replace them both with something else. The dealership gave me a credit for the one that was practically brand new and I put on a new set of touring

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I'm tire shopping and leaning towards a set of S22's. Fortnine has this description in a chart comparing it to the other contenders in its class, and matches exactly what I'm looking for: "Fantastic option for street riding, long life, also performs well on track"

I originally had my mind set on a sport-touring tire like the Road 5 or Angel GT II, but:

- I found enough reviews to concern me where people weren't getting the additional mileage they expected out of them, so $/km works out better to go sport. I also have a tire machine, so it costs me nothing extra but some time.
- I avoid the rain, so no real need for ultimate wet traction, and when I've been caught out in a bad downpour, I've never had any problems with my sport tires
- I actually don't need ultimate dry traction either (for street or track), and I kept hearing that the Dunlop RoadSport 2 were the best bang for the buck. But the S22's are about the same price with the current rebate.

Thoughts? What mileage are GTAM'ers getting from their sport touring tires compared to sport tires?

XR came with roadtec 01s and I’m around 11k, plenty of meat left. I don’t like the front tire turn in though.

S22 are a great set.

its like asking why track riders "need" slicks when others can do better lap times of hypersport tires, or why someone need a 200hp bike when a CBR 125 can hit the speed limit on the street, or why someone needs a fully set up GS1200R to go to L&L.

motorcycling and everything that is associated is a "want" not a "need"

I'm tire shopping and leaning towards a set of S22's. Fortnine has this description in a chart comparing it to the other contenders in its class, and matches exactly what I'm looking for: "Fantastic option for street riding, long life, also performs well on track"

I originally had my mind set on a sport-touring tire like the Road 5 or Angel GT II, but:

- I found enough reviews to concern me where people weren't getting the additional mileage they expected out of them, so $/km works out better to go sport. I also have a tire machine, so it costs me nothing extra but some time.
- I avoid the rain, so no real need for ultimate wet traction, and when I've been caught out in a bad downpour, I've never had any problems with my sport tires
- I actually don't need ultimate dry traction either (for street or track), and I kept hearing that the Dunlop RoadSport 2 were the best bang for the buck. But the S22's are about the same price with the current rebate.

Thoughts? What mileage are GTAM'ers getting from their sport touring tires compared to sport tires?
On the sxv? I'd go dunlop q3+ and burn them off in 6,000k.

I had a set of roadsmart 2 spooned on at Wheelers at the gap. They were balled up and blue after a few passes. Heat cycling sport touring tires would be my concern, but for regular street riding they were fine. Even did a trackday on them after they were cooked... front was fried and gave me warning, but eventually gave up the ghost on the RDT... low sided.

I would have been better on q3s.

Depends on your use.

S22 would be a great choice.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom