Switching Brokers/companies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Switching Brokers/companies

ScorpionT16

My policy ends in October of this year, however I would like to switch to another company starting in June/July when I pick up a new bike, how does the cancellation work ending it mid-summer, and would I owe money or get money back? Right now I'm with Dalton Timmins who has changed owners, and am insured through Echelon, which from reading reviews online is a 1 star sad affair.

Not to mention they are charging a lot more than I should be paying, so will make the switch if it's feasible. Would it be better to change companies in October when the policy end, or when I pick up the new bike in June/July? The new bike is higher CCs so am sure a new rate will be presented at the time

For what it's worth,

Echelon was by far the cheapest rate and they handled my claim extremely well. One of those take the first offer on your bike and run situations.

However they do flat out hate sport bikes.

May be getting a 'go somewhere else quote.

My policy ends in October of this year, however I would like to switch to another company starting in June/July when I pick up a new bike, how does the cancellation work ending it mid-summer, and would I owe money or get money back? Right now I'm with Dalton Timmins who has changed owners, and am insured through Echelon, which from reading reviews online is a 1 star sad affair.

Not to mention they are charging a lot more than I should be paying, so will make the switch if it's feasible. Would it be better to change companies in October when the policy end, or when I pick up the new bike in June/July? The new bike is higher CCs so am sure a new rate will be presented at the time

I just switched over to Echelon insurance myself and they were by far the cheapest than others I got quoted on. Maybe stick with them, I mean why cancel over some bad reviews out there? Who cares .. your insured .. its cheaper.

I have never given it a second thought when I've switched insurance companies as to when my policy ended. Perhaps I've paid cancellation fees and not known, but I really don't think I have.

Have you actually called your broker/insurer and asked? If you tell them the date you are considering cancelling the policy they can give you an amount if any that you would owe. When I sold my car a few months ago before my policy renewed they sent me back money. Another time years ago I owed a few bucks for cancelling early. Every policy is different.

Keep in mind that motorcycle premiums are skewed towards the summer months so you might end up owing for unpaid coverage if you cancel now.

So called a few brokers today to see rates, and looks like I will be switching to riders plus. For starters the person on the phone actually knows the difference between a dual purpose bike and a street bike so that helped, and secondly got a rate almost $1k less than Echelon/Dalton timmins. Looks like I've been over paying for about 2-3 years. Now to deal with cancellation fees and see if I owe or will get back from my last policy

So called a few brokers today to see rates, and looks like I will be switching to riders plus. For starters the person on the phone actually knows the difference between a dual purpose bike and a street bike so that helped, and secondly got a rate almost $1k less than Echelon/Dalton timmins. Looks like I've been over paying for about 2-3 years. Now to deal with cancellation fees and see if I owe or will get back from my last policy

I'm with riders plus and they represent echelon...curious how it's 1k cheaper through them rather than Dalton Timmis, are they really marking it up that much?

I'm with riders plus and they represent echelon...curious how it's 1k cheaper through them rather than Dalton Timmis, are they really marking it up that much?

He said it has to do with the bike type, Echelon was giving riders plus a similar rate, so he chose Intact and it was cheaper, he mentioned it being due the fact that Intact doesn't mind Dual sport bikes/Enduros so rates them differently. So It would be with Intact now, not Echelon, not sure Dalton Timmins (NFP now) works with Intact.

For people out there that know (and I'll find out from the broker the hard way or easy way, just checking here), If my Policy started in October 19th /2019, and I am cancelling it in May 22st/2020 - 7 Months, and since summer months (June/July/aug have not kicked in), would I be getting money back vs owing?

Back
Top Bottom