Supersport to a naked? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport to a naked?

arogal

Hi guys,
As mentioned in my previous post, my 2009 zx6r got stolen. Was mint, not a scratch on it, and after the electrical issue was resolved it ran like an absolute dream. I am debating on moving towards the naked route. FZ09 and Z1000 have grabbed my attention. I loved riding a supersport. Back didn't really get too sore, wrists seemed to be ok, and I just loved everything about the zx6r. I was going to keep it and give it to one of my kids once they were old enough to ride...but that won't happen anymore.
Anyone here go from riding a super sport to a naked? If so, are you happy with your decision? Is there any regrets, or things that you miss more about riding a super sport?
I'm in no rush as I don't feel comfortable ever having a bike at this building again, but once we move out and I get my insurance payout (if TD every gets back to me) I'd like to start shopping. I am also really interested in a GSXR 750. Rode my friends a couple times and its hella more comfortable than the zx6r and has a bit more low end power in comparison to the 600.
There;s just something inside of me that's saying I won't enjoy a naked as much, but logically speaking they are pretty pointless to have on the street as you're pretty much breaking the law every single time you want to use what it's capable of providing LOL!
Thanks!

It depends on the type of riding you do.
Weekend warrior, supersports are fine for that you might miss the high revving, scalpel nature of the SS if you get a naked.
But if you commute frequently or ride in GTA, naked positioning and the low to midrange works wonders. If you are looking at the GSXR750 theres a GSXS-750 now, which is basically a naked.
Used to miss revving high when I first got the Speedy but its so nice to be able twist the throttle whichever gear I'm and have the grunt needed. Suspension and seat is much more plush but still holds corners as well as my old supersports.

edit: also with the insurance savings, you can buy a second bike in a few years.

I have 2 friends who switched from SS to naked. They're both not looking back and love it!

What other engine types have you tried?

For me,

First bike was v4 on old Honda magna. Didn't know anything about bikes, so I appreciate it more now than I did back then.

going from I4 on cbr600rr to parallel twin on ninja 300 was a let down in audio department , though the bike itself was perfect.

Then to Suzuki's vtwin, I never expected to like it so much. Still prefer the I4 scream in high rev but gets tiring doing that for long duration on street.

Next on my list is a triple or another v4, like vfr

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

biggest possible drawback I can see
and of course this depends on what naked bike
is that there can be a large downgrade in susp and brakes on a naked vs. an SS

biggest possible drawback I can see
and of course this depends on what naked bike
is that there can be a large downgrade in susp and brakes on a naked vs. an SS
So true.

But after putting in correctly set up aftermarket suspension (right front spring, oil weight, ktech/ohlin/hyperpro, whatever for rear) to your weight, on let's say fz09, it should technically be better than stock zx6r right?

I do alot more commuting (or did) since the new single rider HOV lane law came into affect in July. Maybe a naked is the better route to go. Another thing to consider is that you can find an older 600 or 750 at a much better price range than a naked bike. Could scope out a nice 600 or 750 for roughly $5000-$6000 where a naked would be near the $7500-$10,000 range...but the naked bikes are newer and do have less KM on em

Windblast on naked at above 130 is something you might not like at first, but can get used to it.

What about insurance? I guess from zx6r, whether you can another SS or naked, it'll be less or about the same.
For reference in Burlington (33 yo male, riding for 8 years), I pay 500 something for suzuki gladius. 380 for ninja 300 and got a quote for 1400 for fz09.

Windblast on naked at above 130 is something you might not like at first, but can get used to it.

What about insurance? I guess from zx6r, whether you can another SS or naked, it'll be less or about the same.
For reference in Burlington (33 yo male, riding for 8 years), I pay 500 something for suzuki gladius. 380 for ninja 300 and got a quote for 1400 for fz09.

The Insurance on the ZX6R wasn't too too bad. I was paying $1300/yr. I am a 31yr old male in Burlington and been riding for 3 years. I'll call TD for fun and see what they quote me on say, and FZ09.
I am leaning more towards the FZ09 as there are tons of ads up for em, they seem to be reliable, and relatively easy to maintain. 2016+ would also be nice as the suspension had an upgrade over the previous years, which alot of FZ09 owners complained about being way too squishy.

The Insurance on the ZX6R wasn't too too bad. I was paying $1300/yr. I am a 31yr old male in Burlington and been riding for 3 years. I'll call TD for fun and see what they quote me on say, and FZ09.
I am leaning more towards the FZ09 as there are tons of ads up for em, they seem to be reliable, and relatively easy to maintain. 2016+ would also be nice as the suspension had an upgrade over the previous years, which alot of FZ09 owners complained about being way too squishy.
If you do end up going with fz09, owners put in shocks from zx10r, etc for budget fix. I did some research into that bike before I found out I didn't like insurance cost (380 to 1300 was a big change)

Hi guys,
As mentioned in my previous post, my 2009 zx6r got stolen. Was mint, not a scratch on it, and after the electrical issue was resolved it ran like an absolute dream. I am debating on moving towards the naked route. FZ09 and Z1000 have grabbed my attention. I loved riding a supersport. Back didn't really get too sore, wrists seemed to be ok, and I just loved everything about the zx6r. I was going to keep it and give it to one of my kids once they were old enough to ride...but that won't happen anymore.
Anyone here go from riding a super sport to a naked? If so, are you happy with your decision? Is there any regrets, or things that you miss more about riding a super sport?
I'm in no rush as I don't feel comfortable ever having a bike at this building again, but once we move out and I get my insurance payout (if TD every gets back to me) I'd like to start shopping. I am also really interested in a GSXR 750. Rode my friends a couple times and its hella more comfortable than the zx6r and has a bit more low end power in comparison to the 600.
There;s just something inside of me that's saying I won't enjoy a naked as much, but logically speaking they are pretty pointless to have on the street as you're pretty much breaking the law every single time you want to use what it's capable of providing LOL!
Thanks!
I did, sort of -- got rid of the SS mainly due to comfort reasons -- my neck and back thanks me.

I split my time between ADV and ST (I like the ST over naked, in the light category that might just be a different set of plastics.). If I had to choose only one, I'd probably pick the ADV for comfort, stability and utility.

FZ09 got the facelift from 2017 I think, it's got torque from early in the rpms, that and the upright seating is the biggest difference compared to the ZX6R. Also the FZ09 is a light bike too, even lighter than the latest 2019 ZX6R.

You will lose posing points going from a ZX6 to a FZ/MT09. However, the cops don't seem to be interested harassing naked bikes, so that's a plus.

There really is no reason to own a 600 supersport bike, they are gutless down low, horrible crouching position. I accept a litre bike SBK is worth it for the fun factor.

Last edited:
You will lose posing points going from a ZX6 to a FZ/MT09. However, the cops don't seem to be interested harassing naked bikes, so that's a plus.

There really is no reason to own a 600 supersport bike, they are gutless down low, horrible crouching position. I except a litre bike SBK is worth it for the fun factor.

FZ09 built quite the reputation since 2014, maybe to non riders yeah he'll lose some posing points but us riders know what's up

imho: buy a used sea can 10' x 8' x 8'6" and a nice new bike just as close to what you had before as possible to put in it, otherwise the bad guys won, they would not so easy take the next one :|

He can get them back by wearing @ssless leather chaps! :D
Or wearing aviator glasses and rolling up his skinny jeans.

I am 31 and married. I could care less about posing points HA HA! After reading a bunch of reviews and watching some comparison vids on youtube, pretty much every single rider said if its 100% dedicated to street and not track the naked route is the way to go. I would need to ride one before I bite the bullet though. Plan on purchasing during off season (Jan/Feb) like I did with this one to score a decent deal.
I know what you mean though, alot of people ride super sports to look and feel cool, but in reality, they are pretty much pointless for street (600cc) as you need to rev the pi$$ outa it to get the power it can deliver. There's just something about hopping on the saddle of a supersport inline 4 that just always made me smile and feel at home on 2.

I went from an '06 ZX-6R to an 04 Z1000 and didn't like it much. Just too heavy for my liking and didn't really suit the type of riding I do. I really didn't care for the more upright seating position either. I do agree that it's difficult to make a logical argument for riding any SS bike on the street but hey ..... you like what you like. In summary, yes; I did regret making that move and have been casually looking for an older 600 in good shape ever since. Posing has nothing to do with it. There's posers riding every model of bike out there.

There's really only one way to find the answer to your question and that is to do what I did. Give something else a try and if you don't like it. sell it and make another move. That's why I bought an older model Z-1000. Most of the depreciation was already there when I bought it and it was in pristine condition so it was pretty hard to lose money on it ;)

You see no value in a fairing for street riding?
I wouldn't own one a that didn't have a full fairing.

& I won't be buying any more traverse I-4's because they are too wide in the hips, they make triples for people like me ;)

Back
Top Bottom