Super Tenere | GTAMotorcycle.com

Super Tenere

StromRider313

Hey all,
Just wondering if there are any other Super Tenere 1200 riders on here? I just picked up a 2018 Super T ES with 600km on the odometer this past October from GPBikes. I sold my 2007 DL 1000 privately right after I picked up the new bike.

Great bikes. A friend has one, he's been across Canada and up to the Arctic twice. All he ever does is put tires on it and oil changes.
At 45,000 kms its in for its first major service - a bit of a horror show (like most newer bikes) but no real surprises.

'Would be my choice as an addition to the garage... I like keeping the FJR on pavement.

I'm interested in the Tenere 700 -- Europe gets it now, we are supposed to get it around Sep next year as a '21 model. I'm still torn between the mid and heavy ADV. If I had one bike it would be a heavy ADV, but I have a big ST and do a lot of city miles so I'm finding the mid size ADV more than acceptable as a second bike.

I'm interested in the Tenere 700 -- Europe gets it now, we are supposed to get it around Sep next year as a '21 model. I'm still torn between the mid and heavy ADV. If I had one bike it would be a heavy ADV, but I have a big ST and do a lot of city miles so I'm finding the mid size ADV more than acceptable as a second bike.
Too much dough - by the time you kit it up its almost the same price as the 1200 and it doesn't have shaft drive.

Too much dough - by the time you kit it up its almost the same price as the 1200 and it doesn't have shaft drive.
I hear you. I look at it this way, there is no perfect one-bike-does-all. I do a bit of spirited distance riding, a lot of city riding (commute), and enjoy dirt and fire roads. I don't play on single track or anything serious off road using my streetable bikes.

Spirited distance riding - you can do that on a mid size ADV, it's a lot better on a litre+ ADV, but it's best on a litre+ ST. I have one of those so I'm going to use it for that.

City riding (commute) - any category of MC from 250-800 is suitable, bigger that 800cc and get really hot and heavy in city traffic. A 650 is way more practical than a l+ bike in the city. Down side is you can't always run with the bulls. Right now I have 650 ADV that works well.

Dirt and Fire roads: - Good and better on mid/large ADVs, lousy on large STs. Since I don't need gobs of power on loose surfaces, the L buys no advantage here -- 650 wins.

Single Track - I use my little dirt bikes.

So, for me the large ST is a must, I need it to ride with my friends, nothing offers the comfort and ear swallowing grins of a big ST. That leaves a quandry for the ADV. If I go big and overlap the ST, I suffer in the city -- where I do 1/2 my riding hours and about 25% of my miles. If I go mid ADV I'm better setup for the city and for the most part can run with the bulls. I can't pose with the big shiny ADVs at Timmies -- fortunately that's not important to me.

New Tiger 900 looks like a nicely spec'd bike.

There's always KLRs and DR650s ?
Those aren't ADV bikes, they are Enduros or the new name Dual-Sports (and don't forget the XR650). They will allow you to ride on the road to get to your dirt adventure.

ADV bikes will allow adventures on and off road. Big difference!

yup
and the new FJ09 - can't remember what they call it now - is in the same boat
the upgraded version that fixes everything wrong with the original bike
is in the same price vicinity as an FJR-----why bother with it?

still not sure on the shaft vs chain thing
sure the chain mtce is a drag
but you can look at it and know if it needs adjusted/replaced

look at this mess, would be one very sh!tty day!

WJMt5Nb.jpg

S10, good choice, enjoy! Hear good things about it, and its a yamaha.

For the folk interested in the T7, I saw it in person a few weeks back, different machine from the S10 all together. It's prices really well for what it is, less is more, people who say its priced high and haven't ridden one, seen one, or know its capabilities/market can just wait for used ones to pop up.

S10 rider checking in, hi!

yup
and the new FJ09 - can't remember what they call it now - is in the same boat
the upgraded version that fixes everything wrong with the original bike
is in the same price vicinity as an FJR-----why bother with it?

still not sure on the shaft vs chain thing
sure the chain mtce is a drag
but you can look at it and know if it needs adjusted/replaced

look at this mess, would be one very sh!tty day!

WJMt5Nb.jpg
Precisely why I’d never own one. He has to decide on repairing the BMW or buying a new Wee — likely the same $$$.

Reactions: J_F
anyway

Super Tenere was on my short list
excellent bike - Japanese version of the GSA
except it has Japanese reliability

if I had found the right deal - 100% necessary as I'm Scottish
I would have one, instead of the Italian Princess

I can’t wait till the spring to finally break in the ST finally. I just ordered today a Givi outback 42l top case and mount from GPBikes to go along with the factory side bags. I will be buying a few other farkles over the winter as well.

wings, short levers, front fender xtender, tech spec tank protectors and some other little things.

WJMt5Nb.jpg

Farfegnugen?

Reactions: J_F
I can’t wait till the spring to finally break in the ST finally. I just ordered today a Givi outback 42l top case and mount from GPBikes to go along with the factory side bags. I will be buying a few other farkles over the winter as well.

wings, short levers, front fender xtender, tech spec tank protectors and some other little things.
Sounds like fun. Personally I like a 45-60l softbag over a top case, and I'd x-nay the short levers on a big bike.

The Tenere is very popular among LD riders for good reason. They are very comfortable, very reliable and plenty of fun. Slap on some panniers, a top box and a GPS and the only thing holding you back from riding to California is your wallet and your vacation allotment!

Back
Top Bottom