Super New | GTAMotorcycle.com

Super New

TowneBike

Hey all!

First of all, forum is super informative and helpful and I'm glad to be a part of the community.

Recently, I've thought about starting to ride, mostly for summer commute to work (10km round trip) and weekend rides up to cottage country (80km roads only). Also considering occasional riding on highways (404/DVP) when I get my M2

I am super new, no one in my family rides, and I'm thinking about getting my M1 and in terms of a first bike, I'm 100% set on a cruiser.

I'm thinking of any type of cruiser between a 250 and 600. Not opposed to getting a 250, but I have some concerns like if I'm riding with a passenger (340 lbs total weight) on roadways 80km/h or less and highway (404/DVP) riding on my own.

No plans on buying a bike until I'm super comfortable on cruiser, but where is the best place to learn after getting my M1, and would said place offer to teach me on a cruiser.

Would insurance be significantly different (23, Male, no family member rides, clean record, full G) between a 250, 300, 500 or 600 cruiser?

Also any stories about purchasing and reselling first bike would be tremendous!!

Glad to be a part of the community and hope to hear from as many of you as possible!!!!!

Hey all!

First of all, forum is super informative and helpful and I'm glad to be a part of the community.

Recently, I've thought about starting to ride, mostly for summer commute to work (10km round trip) and weekend rides up to cottage country (80km roads only). Also considering occasional riding on highways (404/DVP) when I get my M2

I am super new, no one in my family rides, and I'm thinking about getting my M1 and in terms of a first bike, I'm 100% set on a cruiser.

I'm thinking of any type of cruiser between a 250 and 600. Not opposed to getting a 250, but I have some concerns like if I'm riding with a passenger (340 lbs total weight) on roadways 80km/h or less and highway (404/DVP) riding on my own.

No plans on buying a bike until I'm super comfortable on cruiser, but where is the best place to learn after getting my M1, and would said place offer to teach me on a cruiser.

Would insurance be significantly different (23, Male, no family member rides, clean record, full G) between a 250, 300, 500 or 600 cruiser?

Also any stories about purchasing and reselling first bike would be tremendous!!

Glad to be a part of the community and hope to hear from as many of you as possible!!!!!

Congratulations on your decision to take up motorcycle riding.

I had a 250cc cruiser and was able to ride 2 up (290 lbs total weight). but they were mostly less than 2 hours ride. Same with highways, it could do 110km/hr, but you could tell that it's not happy doing it.

I would check potential insurance rates with your provider for 250cc and 500cc- if they quote around the same rates, you might want to consider a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 over a Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago 250.

With entry level cruisers- you won't take too much of a hit on resale, providing you are sensible on your purchase price. For example,I bought my Kymco Venox 250 for $1600 in 2017 and sold it for the same price last December.

Most of the safety courses will have cruisers for you to ride. Where are you located? (for suggestions on which safety course would be closer for you).

Bottom line- 1. call your insurance and get hypothetical quotes for M1 with 250cc cruisers and Maybe Vulcan 500. And also rates with M2 after safety course. Mostly that would give you an idea about what motorcycle (cc) to go for.
2. Get your M1 done, and sign up for M1 exit at a safety course.
3. Figure out a budget, and start looking out for bikes in Kijiji in your price range.
4. Get a bike and ride on!

p.s: Is your family ok with you riding? I ask because you mention that you are the first rider in your family.

Really helpful info! I have been trying to get quotes for several bikes between a 250 and 650 and I'll add the Vulcan 500 to the list!

Family knows I'm riding and my Dad is also considering getting his licence, but he's unsure whereas I'm 100% certain.

Thanks for answering the highway riding and 2 up question!! Really puts that in perspective for me!

My wife and I started riding together and our first bike was a Virago 250. It was a great little bike, and I was able to sell for pretty much what I bought it for after 2 seasons. We both took the course through Sheridan college (Now called MTOHP) They are site supporters and GTAM members get a discount I believe. So we had our M2 license when we acquired the bike.

We upgraded to Virago 1100's but my wife has found that it's too large for her (500+ lbs wet) so we just bought a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for her
and she loves it! It has the cruiser style, but the motor is a 500cc parallel twin based off the Ninja 500 sport bike. It's got different carbs and I believe different valve timing to give it a bit more torque. Prices on the Vulcan are quite reasonable.

Performance wise the Vulcan has no problem keeping up with the Virago 1100, and it is much easier to maneuver.

For your first 2 years of riding -- or 15,000km of riding -- I suggest you don't carry passengers. There's enough learning an tough situations for a solo rider -- things get way more complicated when 2 souls are on board. This makes a 250 an easier decision as it will clip along all day at 115kmh with a 200lb payload.

My son started off with a Virago 250 at 18, and my wife on a Ninja 250. My son likes the Virago in the city, but gravitated to the wife's Ninja 250 when he started to travel. He was comfortable commuting 20km each way to work and trekking 200-300 km day weekend trips to his buddy's cottages. After 2 years and 15,000km he was ready to move up, he jumped to a 650 ADV bike and rides it well.

Personally I like the Yamaha line of cruisers. Having ridden and worked on just about every small cruiser made, I like the Yamaha's for simplicity, durability and aesthetically I think they best represent a cruiser. I'd choose a Vstar 650 or Shadow 750 over a Vulcan 500 all day for a couple of reasons: 1) A Vulcan 500 considered the girlfriend's bike (not that that matters), they are setup to be more comfortable for riders 5'1 to 5'6, if you are over 5'8" it's gonna feel a bit cramped .... 2) Kawi cruisers are quicker and sportier but have a shorter life, you'll find more 80's era Viragos for sale than late model Kawis. 3) Aftermarket accessories for Shadows and Vstars are everywhere, not so much for Kawi cruisers.

At end of the day it doesn't matter which bike you choose, all the mentioned bikes are worthy, pick the one that you like best. My first choice would be the Vstar 250 or 650 -- both are category leaders in operating cost, resale value, dependability, comfort and accessory availability.

Hi, good luck with your bike purchase and learning.
Just wanted to reiterate what Mad Mike said, don't be carrying passengers until you are a fully qualified and skilled solo rider. There is a HUGE difference in the way a motorcycle handles and brakes once you stick an extra person on the pillion seat, this is nothing like any car you have ever driven. You should not even be considering motorcycles that are best suited to two up riding as part of your first ever motorcycle purchase, it is likely to make you aim big and a big heavy bikes will extend your learning curve making it an even longer time before you are qualified to take on passengers, especially unskilled passengers who don't know that a motorcycle has to lean to turn. Given the style of motorcycle you are considering I give you more like 5 years of street only riding before you should be putting passengers on your back. I would even pull your passenger pegs and hang them on the garage wall for a few years so you are not tempted to test your ability to 2-up.

Welcome to the fold. Great answers above. I too would stick to the smaller-displacement end of the spectrum and solo riding for a season or two before moving on to a larger machine and passengers. It's a better way to learn, puts your passenger at zero-risk until you've got your proverbial feet under you and will be easier to insure.

Cheers and good luck.

As a first bike, don't be afraid of one that is mechanically sound, but cosmetically challenged. Chances are you may drop it, etc., so why pay for pristine. If you don't add to the cosmetic damage, you can probably get back what you paid.

Hey all!

Th Vstar 250 is a fun bike to ride, I rode that for the M1 exit course at Centennial College. If you go there it will be like a 2 day test ride before you decide if you want to buy. I ended up with a Shadow 750 for my first bike.

Carry a passenger when you feel confident you can do it safely. I am sure some of the guys here that say wait a few years did not do that themselves, every person is different in skill and ability.

Welcome to the addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom