Sun Article - Leave the Bike At Home | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sun Article - Leave the Bike At Home

The whole article is wonky!
"A lot of car drivers can’t see you" <- if they can't see a motorcycle with a rider onboard, how safe is it to be a pedestrian!

I had forgotten about her...I had no idea she was still writing. I remember she was always a bit off center from reality in her writings.

This is from her bio page on the sun website:
"film critic and general curmudgeon. Nobody likes her."

Journalism ticket from a box of Cracker Jacks.

I think the story is more about car drivers, and pointing out how bad they are, instead of motorcyclists and danger. Kinda like hey car drivers take notice, but with a spin to catch your eye. Seems like it worked to some degree. Maybe some meat head will take notice and do the right thing while driving. Ya never know.

Editorial Sarcasm, the lowed form of wit, the highest forms of intelligence.

In journalism sarcasm is used to awake emotion and provoke creative thinking. That's what my favorite English teacher said.

Aren't they all?

Not really. Some actually do SOMETHING resembling journalism. It's rarer than it should be, but I would say that papers like the New York Times, Washington Post, and to some extent, the Toronto Star actually aren't complete trash. Not all of them are just opinion columns and opinion columns disguised as "news" plus the obvious clickbait stuff.

tabloid trash
form factor and content are designed
to be read on public transit or a lunchroom table

as Canada's right has moved further right
the Sun has followed and is now the print format of the Rebel

Not really. Some actually do SOMETHING resembling journalism. It's rarer than it should be, but I would say that papers like the New York Times, Washington Post, and to some extent, the Toronto Star actually aren't complete trash. Not all of them are just opinion columns and opinion columns disguised as "news" plus the obvious clickbait stuff.
You had me until Toronto Star.

It's an op-ed, not "journalism." It carries as much gravitas as The Family Circle. No where is it written that one needs to be a Rhodes Scholar to write an op-ed.

Braun's op-ed is, of course, the worst kind of victim-blaming opinion-piece. I rather expect that for her next performance she'll be telling women to leave their sundresses in the closet and go out covered head-to-toe lest they be lusted after by some sicko.

Braun could have used her soapbox to call for police to focus more of their efforts on getting out amongst traffic and dealing as harshly as the law allows with those that choose to use their cell phone while driving or those that make dangerous lane changes or who make left turns or U-turns that put others in peril. She could have called for insurance companies to stop blaming victims and instead making driving as unaffordable for those putting everyone else at risk as they do for someone looking to ride a sporty bike. She could have called on lawmakers to elevate the severity of punishment meted out to those that hurt someone while operating a vehicle in a negligent manner to criminal-code territory; a careless left- or U-turn that results in the death of a motorcyclist needs to be treated as criminal negligence and/or manslaughter. If no one is hurt but the act was seen, reckless or careless driving and the insurance companies should pounce in this.

But she didn't. She took the easy way out and blamed the victims in the pattern of a typical nut-case fringe conservative who gets paid to opine in public.

People who can't ride a motorcycle should shut the !@#$ up about riding motorcycles, is like a blind man having an opinion on how to pilot a space craft.

Back
Top Bottom