Suggestions for buying a new chain/sprockets '04 GS500F | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggestions for buying a new chain/sprockets '04 GS500F

Golluk

Ask the title says, Its been suggested that I replace my chain. I believe its the original as I bought the bike at 18k kms, and its now at 42k. I've asked one shop so far and it was 180-200 for the chain, they also suggested new sprockets, at 120 for both.

Shop hasn't actually seen the chain or sprockets, but a few other riders have suggested its time for a new chain.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for getting the above at a reasonable price / reliable place, I'd appreciate it. Or even just what I should expect to pay.

Ask the title says, Its been suggested that I replace my chain. I believe its the original as I bought the bike at 18k kms, and its now at 42k. I've asked one shop so far and it was 180-200 for the chain, they also suggested new sprockets, at 120 for both.

Shop hasn't actually seen the chain or sprockets, but a few other riders have suggested its time for a new chain.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for getting the above at a reasonable price / reliable place, I'd appreciate it. Or even just what I should expect to pay.

Are these prices installed? If not, that sounds pretty pricey to me. I paid under $180 (DIY install) local for chain + front/rear sprockets and the 520 chain Im running on my R1 (EK MVXZ - X-ring, 9200 lb tensile strength) is probably way overkill for your GS500....

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure if that was just for parts or install as well. I just asked at the parts desk how much a new chain would cost. Whether I was going to install it myself or not never came up.

Sturgess should be OK for that work, they are local to you. Don't ever put a new chain on old sprockets, you won't get even half the life out of it. Replace all at the same time, chain and both sprockets for that bike should be no more than $150 for parts, add labour to that, maybe $250 max. Bring me the parts and the bike I'll install for free, but I'm in Toronto. Hate to see people get ripped off.

Order it from Flying Squirrel or Pete's (online). They're still in Canada

For a point of reference, I had mine replaced recently for $100 (master link type) and $60 labour.
Bike had ~18K and noticed a tight spot on it, sprockets were okay.
There were definitely cheaper alternatives, but went this route as it worked out best for me.

Back
Top Bottom