Sub-Frame Welding in Waterloo? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sub-Frame Welding in Waterloo?

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50930

Any recommendations?

So one of steering stop on the sub-frame has a indent due to the accident. So the handlebar weight on the left side hits the gas tank...

Is it possible for welder add some material into the indent to fix this?

Thanks

Are you sure that's the cause of your problem? I would suspect something in the handlebars or triple is bent or tweaked before I thought the steering stop was bent enough to cause me a problem. On the upside, the face of that stop should be in compression so a shim put on with adhesive should do the trick.

Are you sure that's the cause of your problem? I would suspect something in the handlebars or triple is bent or tweaked before I thought the steering stop was bent enough to cause me a problem. On the upside, the face of that stop should be in compression so a shim put on with adhesive should do the trick.

It's a black thing on the frame, I will post a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sub frame is the part at the very rear of the bike that you sit on, sub frame does not carry the wheels. Any damage near the steering head is not good, that is the most critical part of the bike, needs to be fixed right like Grey Ghost said. Basically now is a good time to completely service your front forks, any alignment problems will show up in the course of that service.

Double check the bottom triple clamp and see if the stop on it is dented.
It might be easier to build it up with some weld than repair the steering head stop on the frame.

There is no way that dent lets the handlebar hit the tank. Your problem is somewhere else. Find and fix the problem.

Upper triple is twisted out of alignment with the lower. Loosen everything and retorque in proper sequence. Get it done by someone who knows what they are doing. You are NOT qualified.

Upper triple is twisted out of alignment with the lower. Loosen everything and retorque in proper sequence. Get it done by someone who knows what they are doing. You are NOT qualified.

I agree it's not the steering stop, but if the triples aren't aligned to the point where the left handlebar is touching the tank, then the forks must be bent.

OP, did the bike land on the left handlebar/clip-on (any scratches on the clutch lever or bar-end weight)? If you have clip-ons, it's likely just pivoted around the fork tube and you can (have someone) reposition it back to where it's supposed to be. If you have handlebars, they're bent. Set your wheel straight and look to see if the two grips are at the same angle, then go from there.

I agree it's not the steering stop, but if the triples aren't aligned to the point where the left handlebar is touching the tank, then the forks must be bent.

OP, did the bike land on the left handlebar/clip-on (any scratches on the clutch lever or bar-end weight)? If you have clip-ons, it's likely just pivoted around the fork tube and you can (have someone) reposition it back to where it's supposed to be. If you have handlebars, they're bent. Set your wheel straight and look to see if the two grips are at the same angle, then go from there.

In any case, if you don't know how to identify front end damage yourself, you should probably have the bike checked by someone reputable to make sure it's safe.

He hasn't said what bike it is. If it's a little dual Sport or something like a cbr 125, then you could easily loosen the triple clamp bolts and move the bars a couple of inches. If it's a liter bike... Not so much.

He hasn't said what bike it is. If it's a little dual Sport or something like a cbr 125, then you could easily loosen the triple clamp bolts and move the bars a couple of inches. If it's a liter bike... Not so much.
Most likely 2006 Suzuki SV650s. First Year Insurance - SV650 $$$

Another post has him looking for a left front fork. https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/threads/wtb-front-left-fork-for-a-gen-2-sv650s.208355/

He will be well served by having someone competent look over the bike and make a complete list of issues rather than trying to solve each problem separately as there may be something ugly he doesn't even know about yet.

It looks like the S has clipons, so there is a great chance the left one rotated in the crash.

Last edited:
Thanks members

Correct... The handle bar is bent and will be replaced

Correct.. Left fork tube is slighty bent and right fork tube is really bent. So I ordered inner fork tubes and will rebuild the left and right forks

I did what Wingboy said to do and now the left and right side touch the black pieces...

Another thing I found out, since the previous owner converted the bike to a naked I can buy a regular handlebars :D

And yes the bike is going to the shop soon when all the parts come in

Again thank you for the knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure it goes to a shop -- bikes have very little tolerance for steering damage or assembly error. A good bike shop will be able to align the forks and check for further damage (frame, bars, wheels, brakes) that you many not see.

Make sure it goes to a shop -- bikes have very little tolerance for steering damage or assembly error. A good bike shop will be able to align the forks and check for further damage (frame, bars, wheels, brakes) that you many not see.

It will go soon.

Back
Top Bottom