Stunting on an e-bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunting on an e-bike?

bombshelter13

Hey guys,

I just took another glance at the HTA and a thought came to mind: HTA 172 specifically applies to 'motor vehicles', and e-bikes are specifically designated as bicycles and excluded from being classed as 'motor vehicles'.

It seems to me like you could stunt on an e-bike with relative impunity, and the worst ticket they could give you is the 'Careless driving' charge for bicycles (http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf) - a $490.00 fine which is a huge pain in the ***, but no impact on your license or insurance and no impounding.

I guess a street-legal e-bike probably isn't even any good for stunting, but I haven't tried it yet. Clearly you can't do nearly as many cool stunts as on a real bike, but it might be a way to get some cheap fun in without the risk of getting HTA 172-ed.

WhatsThePoint.gif

Good luck, hope e-bike stunting works out for u!

I just took another glance at the HTA and a thought came to mind: HTA 172 specifically applies to 'motor vehicles', and e-bikes are specifically designated as bicycles and excluded from being classed as 'motor vehicles'.

Nice try, but bicycles are HTA 'motor vehicles', as many (many) cyclists have found out the hard way.

Hey guys,

It seems to me like you could stunt on an e-bike with relative impunity, and the worst ticket they could give you is the 'Careless driving' charge for bicycles (http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf) - a $490.00 fine which is a huge pain in the ***, but no impact on your license or insurance and no impounding.

I guess a street-legal e-bike probably isn't even any good for stunting, but I haven't tried it yet. Clearly you can't do nearly as many cool stunts as on a real bike, but it might be a way to get some cheap fun in without the risk of getting HTA 172-ed.

I don't see how any judge could justify a careless driving charge when you're performing any stunt that requires attention, care and control far beyond that of the reasonable person. That's probably why there's a stunting charge. But that's great to know. I always wonder about that when I'm doing wheelies on my mountain bike.

I don't see how any judge could justify a careless driving charge when you're performing any stunt that requires attention, care and control far beyond that of the reasonable person. That's probably why there's a stunting charge. But that's great to know. I always wonder about that when I'm doing wheelies on my mountain bike.

Wont fly in court, I got charged with dangerious driving for a very controlled wheelie. The judge called me out on how I could think it was not dangerious when I cant control the bike on one wheel, I explained I can slow down, speed up, change lanes, signal, check my blind spot, or even wheelie in a circle around a car. Didnt matter, in their eyes wheelies are dangerious or careless no matter how good you are at them. If anything it just ****** her off

Wont fly in court, I got charged with dangerious driving for a very controlled wheelie. The judge called me out on how I could think it was not dangerious when I cant control the bike on one wheel, I explained I can slow down, speed up, change lanes, signal, check my blind spot, or even wheelie in a circle around a car. Didnt matter, in their eyes wheelies are dangerious or careless no matter how good you are at them. If anything it just ****** her off

Were you on a motorcycle or bicycle? I'm assuming you were on a bicycle. Was it a judge or JP? Nonetheless, holy ****! That sucks! Kids can't have any fun anymore - it's no wonder they need Ritalin and antidepressants. I remember building ramps on the street and doing all sorts of crazy ****.

Last edited:
Were you on a motorcycle or bicycle? I'm assuming you were on a bicycle. Was it a judge or JP? Nonetheless, holy ****! That sucks! Kids can't have any fun anymore - it's no wonder they need Ritalin and antidepressants. I remember building ramps on the street and doing all sorts of crazy ****.

Sorry nevermind it was a motorcycle, didnt think you guys would be talking about bicycles in here...Although I wouldnt doubt there is some *** hat cop out there that would charge a bicycle rider

Sorry nevermind it was a motorcycle, didnt think you guys would be talking about bicycles in here...Although I wouldnt doubt there is some *** hat cop out there that would charge a bicycle rider

I would like to see it done... but not to me... not that i can wheelie to save my life....

I can't see stunting on a scooter style bike, but maybe you could do some tricks with the power assist on a bicycle style ebike. In the end it will probably only give ebikes more of a bad name. Then what will you ride when your motorcycle license is suspended?

Nice try, but bicycles are HTA 'motor vehicles', as many (many) cyclists have found out the hard way.
Bicycles are defined as being "vehicles", not motor vehicles, under the HTA and ebikes as defined by MTO regs are generally treated the same as bicycles.

However under the Criminal Code, ebikes are considered to be motorized vehicles. That means that you can still be charged with dangerous driving and impaired driving when on them. The dangerous driving could include stunting if done in a manner that could cause damage to property or injury to other people.

Back
Top Bottom