Stumped for a new bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stumped for a new bike

Nothing against the street triple here. Buying any used bike and wanting to set off very shortly on a long-distance adventure can be rough (or painless if you're lucky). You haven't had time yet for a thorough shakedown/getting all maintenance to a known point (eg. is the clutch marginal and starts slipping when it gets really hot, how old is the brake fluid, valves in spec, chain/sprockets good enough to last the trip (without lots of km on it already trending wear is hard), etc etc). Less popular bikes make it harder to solve some of those issues on the road.

FWIW, I bought the mini, put 300 km on it driving around and then set off for huntsville (ontario not alabama). On the way home, the bottom end let go and I finished the trip 12 hours later on the back of a tow truck. Replaced the motor and haven't had major issues since.
fair enough - agreed OP should spend time with the bike (if used) before heading off

fair enough - agreed OP should spend time with the bike (if used) before heading off
timeline is tight even on a new bike. See lightcycles post above. I would want to have done mileage, got first service done and then put at least another 500 km on after that to ensure that the shop didn't screw something up. Ideally that would all be done with about a week left before departure to allow another lap at the shop if you found issues.

Nothing conflicting. Yeah I plan to take a trip. But not tomorrow. I have tome to acclimate to a new machine. I am also not a “new” rider.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I'm not worried too much about the rider, I'm more worried about the bike. Every long trip I have taken on a bike, something has happened requiring roadside tinkering even though the bikes were well shaken down before. The key is to have the big issues solved so you are hopefully left with small items roadside (most often electrical gremlins in my case).

timeline is tight even on a new bike. See lightcycles post above. I would want to have done mileage, got first service done and then put at least another 500 km on after that to ensure that the shop didn't screw something up. Ideally that would all be done with about a week left before departure to allow another lap at the shop if you found issues.

I 100% agree. I will Make sure that we are sound before I depart.

I'm not worried too much about the rider, I'm more worried about the bike. Every long trip I have taken on a bike, something has happened requiring roadside tinkering even though the bikes were well shaken down before. The key is to have the big issues solved so you are hopefully left with small items roadside (most often electrical gremlins in my case).

I understand completely. That’s also my goal. A trip will happen it just depends on if it’s my car or a bike.

I'm 5'3" and the Triumph Street Triple R Low is the perfect bike. It's manufactured lower so us short people can touch the ground.

GP has one on their floor a few weeks back.

I'm not saying italian is bad, but in general, picking a boring popular bike makes for a better long-distance ride than an obscure bike with character. Trying to find MVA, MG or Aprilia parts in some random place in the US will be an order of magnitude harder than finding the same parts for a Honda/HD/yamaha/etc.
In that case, HD is the only way to go.

In that case, HD is the only way to go.
While I think that would make sense, the number of hd's on nabr that are broken down with no parts available locally is astounding. Not sure if that is due to less parts in stock than I expect, low rider mechanical ability to make something work or high percentage of HD.

Last edited:
While I think that would make sense, the number of hd's on nabr that are broken down with no parts available locally is astounding. Not sure if that is due to less parts in stock than I expect, low rider mechanical a utility to make something work or high percentage of HD.
I was just speaking from the perspective of dealership presence across the US.

@adrisen - the 2013-2014 Ducati Hyperstrada 821 was available in a "low" version. 2015 and up 821/939 Hyperstrada's are all low. I have a 28" inseam and can comfortably get the balls of both feet on the ground on mine. It's essentially a Hypermotard with a "touring package" - luggage, windshield, bar risers, and a bunch of other stuff. I've run the tank dry to just over 300 km's, and that was averaging 150 km/h for the last 100 km's (on a race track, of course). Larger riders may find it small, but I found it to be the perfect size for shorter riders like us.

@adrisen - the 2013-2014 Ducati Hyperstrada 821 was available in a "low" version. 2015 and up 821/939 Hyperstrada's are all low. I have a 28" inseam and can comfortably get the balls of both feet on the ground on mine. It's essentially a Hypermotard with a "touring package" - luggage, windshield, bar risers, and a bunch of other stuff. I've run the tank dry to just over 300 km's, and that was averaging 150 km/h for the last 100 km's (on a race track, of course). Larger riders may find it small, but I found it to be the perfect size for shorter riders like us.
can confirm, test rode one, its hella fun

Took my brand-new Eye-Talian motor-sickel down to Deals Gap and it was spewing coolant by the second day:

DSCN9818-XL.jpg

Always do an extensive shake-down of your vehicles before taking them on a long trip.

Absolutely

Back
Top Bottom