Studs on dirt bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Studs on dirt bikes

can I have one of your trials bikes? ya know, just in case...

seriously, please be safe
Kid went through the ice in milton and died yesterday .

Also someone posted a video of skating on simcoe with schools of perch. Pretty cool. Lots of commenters went ape#%$@ and the guy explained he was on 3" of ice over 9" of water. Even if he went in he would just have a wet foot.

I'm pretty sure all your insurance policies are null and void if you play on a frozen lake too.

many moons ago we would ride packed sled trails w our dirt bikes. we always talked about getting studded tires; but never did - fresh nobbies worked well enough to go

good thread for those thinking about studding up some tires

a heated garage/shed for about 12-14 hours is a must do afterwards...

I'm pretty sure all your insurance policies are null and void if you play on a frozen lake too.
Vehicle policies I am pretty sure are void, I would be surprised if life insurance or disability didn't apply because you were on the ice.

I have insurance? :unsure:
I thought the only sure thing in this life was death and taxes

Vehicle policies I am pretty sure are void, I would be surprised if life insurance or disability didn't apply because you were on the ice.
Prolly right about the personal policy.i kept a hut on Cooks Bay back in the 80s.I stopped when the ice at the shoreline opened up one time and had two drive all the way to Sutton from Keswick across huge pressure cracks. Scary ****.
I costs a LOT of cash to recover a vehicle if it goes thru.

Prolly right about the personal policy.i kept a hut on Cooks Bay back in the 80s.I stopped when the ice at the shoreline opened up one time and had two drive all the way to Sutton from Keswick across huge pressure cracks. Scary ****.
I costs a LOT of cash to recover a vehicle if it goes thru.
I have been on a big lake before on a 4-wheeler that dropped through the top layer of ice and was running on a layer ~18" below. F that nonsense. Next time I took a sled. If I am going on the ice, I want something that can run on water if things go very poorly.

To be honest the woods is way more fun, even on the lake we were looking for things to hit along the shoreline, anything way more challenging and less flat :alien: the frozen river on the steep hillside is fun

Oh oh, it's predicted to be warm for a few days I was hoping for freezing rain, this could ruin the lake for a while.

can I have one of your trials bikes? ya know, just in case...

seriously, please be safe
When we were riding on the edge of the Ottawa river we were worried about losing a bike into the water so I wanted to build an auto deploy flotation device on a long rope, probably should get around to doing that some day,
doh, just gave away another million $ idea lol

When we were riding on the edge of the Ottawa river we were worried about losing a bike into the water so I wanted to build an auto deploy flotation device on a long rope, probably should get around to doing that some day,
You mean an empty javex bottle secured with light mono filament firmly attached to a long rope? Friends were doing that decades ago while riding their sleds in a flooded quarry in the summer. Make sure the rope is longer than the water is deep or you are back to scuba gear.

Something slightly more compact and elegant then a plastic bottle would be nice ;)

Perfect winter stud conditions today (y)
photos look flat but it's not, you certainly don't want to attempt climbs unless you can stay on the pegs, early part of the day is best when the snow is still crunchy. Sheet metal screw studs are staying in much better now, key is to not spin the tires on the exposed rocks too much and use adhesive when you put them in. They go up or down almost any hill you point them at and as long as you don't panic when they slide they eventually hook up with enough grip to inspire confidence.

springhillDec29.jpg <- that's actually scary steep if you can believe it

hobbitDec29.jpg

hydrolineDec29.jpg
:cool: gotta give it another go, that's way too much fun.

To be honest the woods is way more fun, even on the lake we were looking for things to hit along the shoreline, anything way more challenging and less flat :alien: the frozen river on the steep hillside is fun

(y)(y)(y) unless you are are really racing (and for that they want you to have fender guards, etc...) I don't really get the ice oval thing... Trails are a lot more fun...

Thought of this gadget after reading your post... US6070546A - Snowmobile flotation device - Google Patents

Agreed, riding on flat anything gets boring pretty quick unless the object of the exercise is to simply go fast.
Then you go very fast and freeze your face off before it gets very boring ?

Slide note: Sheet metal screws are useless on powder snow that sticks to your trials tires
but the carbide long grip studs seem to work good on a full knobby tire in up to about 4 inches of snow, rider reports he has not lost a single one.

Watched a video this morning that Trevor Howarth put up on Facebook of him riding over an icy bunch of rock with his Beta 4t.
No studs, and the bike is still on the original tires.Booyaa!

Ya but that's Trevor Howarth :cool:
he has Trevor traction

.... I checked it out :| for Trevor that's a pretty small ride up obstacle, he should stud up and double it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom