Stuck swingarm pivot bolt | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck swingarm pivot bolt

What size hose? How long is the hose? What type of air fittings? Is 100 psi static or with the tool operating? I have 3/8" and 3/4" air lines in the garage. Same air pressure in both. High flow fittings on 3/4" line, normal fittings on 3/8". Switching lines turns impact gun from needing 20+ hits to 1 hit to break something free. If I put a gauge on the gun after the fitting, I expect that I could see the pressure collapse with the 3/8 hose under load. The gun doesnt sound much different, it just works like an entirely different tool.
I have a 3/8" line, 25' long (I think?) And standard quick-release fittings that I think are 1/4". Nothing high flow, just cheapo Crappy Tire stuff. Compressor is a DeWalt 15 gal. that proudly says 5 scfm on the housing, though I have my doubts. Does most of what I need, and is actually usually total overkill. If I need big air, I bring home a 375 tow behind and 60 lb jackhammers from work, but I haven't needed that on the bike just yet. I was considering doing just that with a rivet buster if the sledge hadn't done its job tonight...

So where did all the rust end up coming from?
... what part disintegrated

So where did all the rust end up coming from?
... what part disintegrated
Here's where all the corrosion was:

20201119_203710.jpg

I don't have time to reassemble in detail tonight, but it looks like it lines up pretty cleanly with good old part 12, the sleeve/tophat on the left side. The rest of the bolt is pretty clean except a bit at the back of the nut on the other side. It's no surprise that it didn't want to let go, though. It's a noticeable added thickness there...

How is the needle bearing, full of grease or full of rust?

should be able to tell just by sticking your smallest finger in it and rolling it around.
... which sounds totally perverted as with most things motorcycle mechanics related

Well, bigger hammers (and a less tentative swing) are sometimes the best solution...

View attachment 45938

May also have been another day of the oil having a go, but I'll take it.

Thanks all very, very much for your help. It's super appreciated....
Bravo! Now you can write the book for the next guy.

He just got it apart, still has to put it together :|
and hope the new parts are identical and everything aligns nice.

Bravo! Now you can write the book for the next guy.
I believe I'd be plagiarizing by saying the book is, "Heat, rust juice and hammer."

He just got it apart, still has to put it together :|
and hope the new parts are identical and everything aligns nice.

Yep. Lots to go yet, but the problem bits are going into the 'old bits I'll never use again' bin, and the new bits are either brand new or from Arizona, so it's just the ham-fisted mechanic in the way of a result.

Back
Top Bottom