Stripping Powder Coat | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stripping Powder Coat

Delboy

My brother is building a little Suzuki T250 for vintage racing. I'm staying with him over Christmas so I did some bracing on the frame and added another set of frame rails to tie the swing arm pivot into the spine under the tank similar to a modern frame. I also boxed in the swing arm pivot for him. It’s just one steel plate on those things so hopefully that will help.

Unfortunately the previous owner had it Powder Coated so I’ve completely destroyed that. Its too bad as it was a nice job. I don't think there is any way to touch powder up, at least that I know off. It needs to be stripped and redone or painted.

Is there anywhere in the GTA that does chemical stripping of powder. I have a local guy that’s done a couple of frames for me but that doesn’t help John much.

I was really impressed with the process. It takes about 15 mins in the tank and then a quick power wash to get rid of the stubborn spots. I think it’s better for a frame than trying to burn it off, and media blasting is just a PITA as that stuff is difficult to remove. It heats up and just becomes a sticky mess.

He lives in Pickering if it makes a difference

TIA

Does anybody do toxic nasty chemical processes in Ontario :| not near as many as people that do bead blasting.

(y) ooooo nice sun just came out it's ride time!

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I restored the GPZ. There are quite a few places in and around the GTA that do chemical stripping for both powder and paint. I ended up going with Four Star as it was recommended by someone on the board. They are close to the 400 and 407 so its not too much of a drive.

https://fourstarmetal.com/

I know there are other people that have worked in the industry like Rob Star and JohnnyP636. If they don't chime in you may want to PM them

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I restored the GPZ. There are quite a few places in and around the GTA that do chemical stripping for both powder and paint. I ended up going with Four Star as it was recommended by someone on the board. They are close to the 400 and 407 so its not too much of a drive.

https://fourstarmetal.com/

I know there are other people that have worked in the industry like Rob Star and JohnnyP636. If they don't chime in you may want to PM them

Thank you Sir. This is very helpful. I'll pass it on.

When I was working with mike at Brightside we used to do our own chemical stripping with a big barrel of highly volatile stuff called methylene chloride (b17). Im talking Breaking Bad kind of stuff. You could take a part and leave it in a small bucket of the stuff and it would literally strip in minutes, leaving a completely bare metal finish, so much that steels would flash rust after you rinsed them. It would also eat holes in aluminum parts if you left them in too long

We had lots of mishaps with that stuff, takes the skin right off if you splash, and will eat thru chemical resistant gloves in no time.

After years of using that Mike decided just to send stuff out that couldn't be blasted. We used a company called PPS limited. (production paint stripping)
11 McLachlan Drive,
Toronto, Ontario
M9W 1E3

They do a fantastic job and have a fast turn over. They also do small cash jobs.

IF, the part that was powdered was damaged, we would sometimes just sand and clean up the part, then repowder over everything, with a quick scuff over the existing powder. You can do this with powder, but it's risky, and could result in redoing the entire part over. For things that are super critical for aesthetics, its not recommended. Especially if the powder is done by two different shops using different products.

You cant powder over paint, so paint NEEDS to be stripped. But you CAN powder over powder, just depends on how nice you want it to look.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob & Wingboy.

Someone else just PM'ed me about PPS as well. I really like companies that do "Small Cash Jobs"... LOL

Is JohnnyP still around? Haven't seen him posting lately.

Curious,
after you chemical dip your steel tube frame in this toxic nasty stuff that makes instant rust,
how to you be-rust and permanently protect the Inside surfaces of the tubes?

Thanks Rob & Wingboy.

Someone else just PM'ed me about PPS as well. I really like companies that do "Small Cash Jobs"... LOL

Is JohnnyP still around? Haven't seen him posting lately.
His shop is in the family door and window business in Mississauga. I'll try to find the contact.

When I was working with mike at Brightside we used to do our own chemical stripping with a big barrel of highly volatile stuff called methylene chloride (b17). Im talking Breaking Bad kind of stuff. You could take a part and leave it in a small bucket of the stuff and it would literally strip in minutes, leaving a completely bare metal finish, so much that steels would flash rust after you rinsed them. It would also eat holes in aluminum parts if you left them in too long

We had lots of mishaps with that stuff, takes the skin right off if you splash, and will eat thru chemical resistant gloves in no time.

After years of using that Mike decided just to send stuff out that couldn't be blasted. We used a company called PPS limited. (production paint stripping)
11 McLachlan Drive,
Toronto, Ontario
M9W 1E3

They do a fantastic job and have a fast turn over. They also do small cash jobs.

IF, the part that was powdered was damaged, we would sometimes just sand and clean up the part, then repowder over everything, with a quick scuff over the existing powder. You can do this with powder, but it's risky, and could result in redoing the entire part over. For things that are super critical for aesthetics, its not recommended. Especially if the powder is done by two different shops using different products.

You cant powder over paint, so paint NEEDS to be stripped. But you CAN powder over powder, just depends on how nice you want it to look.

Out of curiousity, can you paint over powder coating?

I would be interested in that number as well Wingboy, I have a metal patio table I need stripped.
Looked everywhere for his addy. Can't find it. I think he was using that PPS place for the chemical stripping. Johnny is a very quiet guy.

Out of curiousity, can you paint over powder coating?

As long as you scuff the powdercoat up first you can paint over top

3M sells a high gloss vinyl wrap tape for covering chrome look window trim. Works anywhere you can apply it to a smooth surface, is serviceable super easy to replace if it ever gets damaged. Like where your boots rub.

Curious,
after you chemical dip your steel tube frame in this toxic nasty stuff that makes instant rust,
how to you be-rust and permanently protect the Inside surfaces of the tubes?

Sand blast then powder, powder gets inside everywhere, even tubes. And flash rusting is not the same as corrosion, it basically wipes off. I was just trying to demonstrate how clean the metal comes out after being stripped, even the oils buried in the surface are removed, and the company that makes B17 claims you dont need media blasting because of the surface etch the chemical does, but we always blasted (or scuffing as you can call it) the parts before powder and after stripping.

Back
Top Bottom