strap down the bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

strap down the bike

rakkaus

Hi, I'm going up north in the next couple weeks with the bikes on the trailer. I've watched a few videos on Youtube Howto, and wonder if you guys can give me some advice where i might've missed it.

Thank You.

I like to use the excess straps to compress and tie around the front brake just in case.
Always bundle and tie up your excess, I always do but had one come loose once on the highway and shredded itself just flapping around and rubbing against stuff. Thank god it didnt wrap up or get into parts of the bike.

there was 1 or 2 threads on this topic here sometime in the new year. lots of different and good opinions

+1 on soft loops.

I've used Canyon Dancers before, the ones with the cups that go over the end of the handlebar grips. They ruin your bar ends.

If you trailer a lot and have a naked bike with exposed forks, you can also install permanent tie-down rings on the fork clamps:

870214F8F1796E5F6D484F2D76A72DA4.app1_1575470117013_PZ320.jpeg

I like to use heavy duty carabiners on both ends of the tie down instead of the open hook. I’ve seen hooks come off, and then the strap goes everywhere. With the carabiners, the ends are closed, so even if one goes slack for a moment (hitting a big bump for example) it won’t come off.

Carabiners on both ends. Loop climbing runners around the bars and attach the caribiner to them.

5045757-NOC02.jpg

seem like there's alot of work to get the bike secured, I'll need to buy wheel chock and more straps (y).
thanks everyone.

Mine are like this:
product_00000015_full.jpg

On the topic of permanent tie down rings, I installed these on our track bikes:

DSC_0453-L.jpg

They replace the passenger footpegs.

I run those too on the back of the track bike.
Work great.

I like to use the excess straps to compress and tie around the front brake just in case.

I'm curious, just in case of what? If your bike is in a chock and it is ratcheted down properly it's not going anywhere.

Personal preference, but i don't like canyon dancers. Wheel chock, and then soft loops around the lower triples and use ratcheting straps.

Aside from bar ends some ST forum members have had issues with Canyon Dancers cracking forged handlebars as, apparently, these are not designed for the type of stress caused by ratcheting a bike tightly into a chock. OEM forged bars are very expensive to replace. I use a wheel chock, and then soft loops around the lower triples and then ratcheting straps, works very well.

It's not a bad idea to strap the brake lever down while transporting on a bike with full floating rotors. The shaking can rattle the rotors and push the pistons out to the point where when you unload, and go for the brakes..... Nothing!

It's not a bad idea to strap the brake lever down while transporting on a bike with full floating rotors. The shaking can rattle the rotors and push the pistons out to the point where when you unload, and go for the brakes..... Nothing!

OK, never heard about that, good to know. You could also cover that off by simply pumping the lever and the pedal prior to unloading.

OK, never heard about that, good to know. You could also cover that off by simply pumping the lever and the pedal prior to unloading.
It only happened to me once.i was using a tri-fold ramp and did an awesome dance dropping lots of f bombs.
I even pump the brakes of my trials bikes now.

I'm curious, just in case of what? If your bike is in a chock and it is ratcheted down properly it's not going anywhere.

In tying a bike down, especially for travelling long distances, you have to find that magic point where the bike is strapped down enough that it doesn't move around too much, but enough that the bike suspension can still do it's job, but not so much that you blow out fork seals but enough that the straps don't come loose as the bike suspension does it's job when you hit a pothole. Agreed that it's not rocket science, but I have found in the past that straps can come off as the bike moves around, and at about $4 each, the caribeeners are cheap insurance because even if the straps go slack in some extreme circumstance (sudden avoidance maneouver, braking or pothole) the chances of them coming off and causing chaos, especially in an open trailer, go from small to zero.

Also not everyone has a chock.

Back
Top Bottom