Strange but I’ll take it. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Strange but I’ll take it.

Insurance companies are weird.
It costs me more to insure my Kawasaki Versys 1000 than my Aprilia Tuono 1100.
It also costs me more to insure my wife’s Honda Civic than a Ford Mustang that is 5 years newer.
Doesn’t make any sense to me at all!
Katatonic what insurance company are you with for your aprilia tuono?

All about actuarial tables. Civic probably has a higher rate of theft and accident claims. Isn't it the most stolen car?

It cost more for me to insure a Matrix than a luxury SUV.
For cars yes, motorcycles no. Oddly most large insurance companies rate riders based on car driver data and bikes based on what the competition is doing - not on actuarial data. If they used actuarial data, 55 year olds with M2s and Harleys would be blacklisted way before supersports. That's what a 55 year new M2 rider with a old with a clean record can insure a big bike for less than a 30 year with 5+ clean riding years pays for a 300cc.

In reality insurers don't want to insure motorcycles at all, market is too small for them to even study. They only do it because it's a necessary evil that factors into collecting bundles of home and car insurance.

For cars yes, motorcycles no. Oddly most large insurance companies rate riders based on car driver data and bikes based on what the competition is doing - not on actuarial data. If they used actuarial data, 55 year olds with M2s and Harleys would be blacklisted way before supersports. That's what a 55 year new M2 rider with a old with a clean record can insure a big bike for less than a 30 year with 5+ clean riding years pays for a 300cc.

In reality insurers don't want to insure motorcycles at all, market is too small for them to even study. They only do it because it's a necessary evil that factors into collecting bundles of home and car insurance.
Maybe that is why the CAA does not insure motorcycles.

Back
Top Bottom