Strange but I’ll take it. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Strange but I’ll take it.

So as some of you know I was debating on buying a new bike. I ended up buying a 2014 zx14r. When I was calling around to some different insurance companies the one asked me oddest question.
Me. I’m looking to get a quote for a 2014 zx14r
IC. What kind of bike is that?.
Me. Sport tourer
IC. What is the engine size?
Me 1400
IC. How are the handle bars located?
Me. What?
IC. are they raised up like a cruiser bike or are the little ones like on a speed bike.
Me. How does this make a difference?
IC. Let’s me determine what kind of bike it is.
Me. Okay???? It’s a sport tourer so it’s in between the two. I have a VIN number if that helpa?
IC. No that not nessary. I’ll get a quote together for you.

This is the same company I have my truck and house with. Long story short, I got insurance for the bike. Almost two week later I get a letter form my insurance company with a cheque in it. My new 2014 zx14r turns out to be cheaper to insure than my 02 vfr800. WTF. I guess handle bar or clip on placement does matter lol Not going to argue taking the money to the bank.

Insurance companies are weird.
It costs me more to insure my Kawasaki Versys 1000 than my Aprilia Tuono 1100.
It also costs me more to insure my wife’s Honda Civic than a Ford Mustang that is 5 years newer.
Doesn’t make any sense to me at all!

I was quoted last fall $2,100 on a Ducati supersport ( which is actually a sport touring bike) by my agent that has our cars and truck and house. Different agent was $879 for a stand alone policy. My agent said 'supersport' scares the underwriters.

weird doesn't begin to cover it

I was quoted last fall $2,100 on a Ducati supersport ( which is actually a sport touring bike) by my agent that has our cars and truck and house. Different agent was $879 for a stand alone policy. My agent said 'supersport' scares the underwriters.

That's why I have 3 different companies to cover, house, condo and toys.

our insurance companies must be doing the vaccine deployment too

Maybe they should be called insane companies instead. ?‍♂️

It also costs me more to insure my wife’s Honda Civic than a Ford Mustang that is 5 years newer.
All about actuarial tables. Civic probably has a higher rate of theft and accident claims. Isn't it the most stolen car?

It cost more for me to insure a Matrix than a luxury SUV.

amen!

everyone knows mustangs must perform the obligatory crash when exiting meetups.

silly insurance companies.

amen!

everyone knows mustangs must perform the obligatory crash when exiting meetups.

silly insurance companies.

Naturally.
I don’t go to meets because I don’t want to kill 7 people on my way out. But I don’t remember them asking about meets, soooo.......

My rate went down going from Kia Optima to BMW X5.

I chalked it up to the SUV being more safe.

/shrug

My daughters insurance dropped significantly going from her previous Pontiac Pursuit to her new Kia Soul - came down to the fact the Soul has ABS, stability control, and all sorts of airbags, and the Pointiac had none of that.

As for insurance companies and all their silly questions, I think they're rooted in the realities that a lot of actuaries all sit around in a big board room and discuss all sorts of silly nuances on risk factors and then come up with these silly lists that the actual salespeople need to jump through in order to determine risk to the N'th degree. It is getting a little off the wall now.

Civics are expensive to insure because kids race them and early 2000s are most stolen cars in canada I think.

The actuaries don't sit around a board room table, its a computer modeling program using historical data, some predictability and most important the return on investment.

18yr old with a 12,000 mustang gt , excellent chance it will climb a maple tree, with 3 passengers in it

52 yr old guy with 186,000 Porche GT3 , paying less than mustang kid

Back
Top Bottom