Stolen bike reported as total loss by Insurance company | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stolen bike reported as total loss by Insurance company

sid_for_speed

My bike got stolen and I received cash payout from my insurance company. A few days later, I get a call from my insurance broker saying, the bike was reported as total loss and they need to know whether I'll be buying a new bike or not..

I decided to not buy a bike this year but I'll think about getting one next year. Question is , is it standard procedure to report a stolen bike as " total loss"? My perception is I'm at fault and my rates may go up. Am I wrong?

Theft =/= collision. The theft shouldn't affect your rates (beyond possible impact of "claims-free discounts" and the like), but if it happens repeatedly, they may start asking questions (about your storage, etc.) and/or deny to offer further theft coverage.

ooooo personally
I would have said I am going to buy the absolute cheapest motorcycle to insure possible and asked them what that would be.
continuous record of motorcycle insurance is important to decent rates.

yeah be careful not getting something insured to keep the record going. maybe consider picking up a used 300 or something you can turn around next year to get all your money back. you might be in for a surprise other wise.

you should not see rates go up from theft.

Back
Top Bottom