Still commuting? How long will you commute until? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Still commuting? How long will you commute until?

johnnycage

Though the rain and wind has been annoying I am still commuting and plan to till Nov/Dec when temps hit freezing. Are you still commuting? How long do you plan to until winterizing and storing you bike?

Last two years my bike went away on Dec 1st. Just a coonicidence but both days there was a snowstorm and temps dipping to freezing in the morning with ice in corners/shady spots...rode through the snowstorm to put it in storage. I won't ride if there's ice out.

I'm still commuting as well. Kitchener to Milton.
I will probably do it till the same as you.
I have full rain gear and a downfilled armoured jacket and grip warmers, Just have to pick up a balaclava due to my neck and chin get cold when near frezzing.
I put it away mid-december last year.

Yup..rode in this morning along the Gardiner, from Jane/Bloor to Bay/Queen. Dress pants got a lil wet, but traffic wasn't moving at all so it didn't get too cold. I just had my dress pants/dress shoes, and my mesh jacket with the inner lining in, along with gloves and it wasn't too bad. I'll keep doing it until it's either dangerous, or no fun. It sure beats milling around with the sheep on the subway.

Swapping bike for winter car Dec 3rd or 4th depending on what day is better to ride to Windsor from KW.

I never winterise. I ride till the roads are icy. Some years I can ride into December, other years the snow comes earlier mid to late November. I ride as long as I can and postpone taking the 4 wheeled bore machine out as long as I can.

Yup..rode in this morning along the Gardiner, from Jane/Bloor to Bay/Queen. Dress pants got a lil wet, but traffic wasn't moving at all so it didn't get too cold. I just had my dress pants/dress shoes, and my mesh jacket with the inner lining in, along with gloves and it wasn't too bad. I'll keep doing it until it's either dangerous, or no fun. It sure beats milling around with the sheep on the subway.

Lucky you, I left at 6:45am this morning and it was pouring rain.

Lucky you, I left at 6:45am this morning and it was pouring rain.

Oh it started raining as soon as I hit the Gardiner, but it wasn't too bad. Bit embarrassing walking into the office with just the upper part of my legs wet..but everyone else either drove or rode TTC to work..so I win!

Just have to pick up a balaclava due to my neck and chin get cold when near frezzing.
I put it away mid-december last year.

I just picked up one of these the other day. I like that the "hinge" lets me comfortably hook it on my chin. The more traditional balaclava I had been using, which covers my mouth and nose, had the annoying tendency to blow my breath upwards and fog up my visor and glasses.

I usually stop commuting after labour day LOL. The traffic on the DVP becomes noticeably thicker and dumber when school kicks back in. :D

I just picked up one of these the other day. I like that the "hinge" lets me comfortably hook it on my chin. The more traditional balaclava I had been using, which covers my mouth and nose, had the annoying tendency to blow my breath upwards and fog up my visor and glasses.

Can't get that link to work. Wanted to take a look. I use a snowmobile balaclava from Crappy tire that has a fleece neck warmer which works pretty well. The key is to get thin material that covers the head (so the helmet isn't too tight) and thick wind stopping material for the neck. Sometimes I wear a bandana around my neck in addition too (I use a Buff, as it doubles as a helmet liner).

I made it untill december 10th, just layer up and wear thermals. my hands are really the only thing that get cold and I got some heated grips for this year.

Can't get that link to work. Wanted to take a look. I use a snowmobile balaclava from Crappy tire that has a fleece neck warmer which works pretty well. The key is to get thin material that covers the head (so the helmet isn't too tight) and thick wind stopping material for the neck. Sometimes I wear a bandana around my neck in addition too (I use a Buff, as it doubles as a helmet liner).

Strange. Try a search for product code 5022-451, the Outdoor Research "Ninjaclava".

Yes, I suppose a thinner material on top would be ideal, but my helmet still fits OK.

Edit -- Maybe this would be better...

Last edited:
Probably going to commute until I retire; about another ten years. I will probably put the bike away sometime in mid-November however. Not sure how long I can push it as I recently got some nice warm gear which may be able to extend things.

I can vouch for the ninjaclava, got one this weekend and used today. I think I'll be picking up some heated grips as they are the only thing that gets cold. I love the gear I got from MEC.

Still going strong here. Planning on stopping only when I see ice on the roads. We'll see how that works out. I might even take her out throughout the winter depending on road conditions. Of course I'm not sure how that's going to work with having fuel stabilizer in the tank...

I also picked up a water/wind proof balaclava, took a bit to get used to it, but now I prefer it. Keeps me quite comfortable coming home at 630 in the morning when the temps are low single digits. Will eventually grab some heated gear.

I go till the snow comes, then I bring it back out when I can get the bike out of the shed (when the snow melts).

Bike's got rust from the salt, but it's worth it.

With a baby due to arrive in the next two weeks, wife will have the car at home all the time. Given a choice between cold commute on the bike or take the ttc - cold commute always wins.

For the real cold, I highly recommend hippo hands - they're amazing handlebar muffs and Canadian to boot!

With a baby due to arrive in the next two weeks, wife will have the car at home all the time. Given a choice between cold commute on the bike or take the ttc - cold commute always wins.

For the real cold, I highly recommend hippo hands - they're amazing handlebar muffs and Canadian to boot!

How are the hippo hands for cold rain?

I start thinking about putting the bike away November 15th, but carefully watch the weather. Once the brine trucks are out, the season is officially over!

Back
Top Bottom