steering stem lower bearing install | GTAMotorcycle.com

steering stem lower bearing install

rakkaus

i found this video on youtube and wonder if this trick would work?
or hammering it in using old inner race .
thanks

Don't do it with a microwave.

Put the steering stem in your freezer for an hour, with the seal already installed if it is separate from the bearing, and put the bearing race in the oven set to 150 C for perhaps 20 minutes (small part won't need as much time to heat up). Be prepared with a suitable piece of PVC pipe and a hammer in case you need it but you probably won't. Take the steering stem out of the freezer and set it on a table, make sure the seal is in the right spot if it isn't integral to the bearing, take the bearing race out of the oven wearing an oven mitt (partly so that you don't burn yourself, partly to minimise the amount of heat it gives back to your hands), make sure the orientation is right (do NOT install it upside down!) and quickly slide it over the steering stem followed by the piece of PVC pipe with which you immediately give the bearing race a whack to seat it. It will most likely drop directly into place and not even need that extra whack.

Metal object inside a microwave and you're worried about heating something to 150 C? The temperature in the microwave won't be regulated at all...

Gotta love Youtube's recommended videos. Off topic but ... there was an explosion in the toilet!

Gotta love Youtube's recommended videos. Off topic but ... there was an explosion in the toilet!

sweet now i know a better way to clear clogged toilet.

Metal object inside a microwave and you're worried about heating something to 150 C? The temperature in the microwave won't be regulated at all...

i read this "So you don't need to freak out if you mistakenly leave a spoon in your soup bowl as you heat it up. Being inserted in food or water will interrupt the build-up of electrons. If you microwave a spoon by itself, you're going to get some electrical spark or discharges (and might cause a fire, to boot)."

Don't do it with a microwave.

Put the steering stem in your freezer for an hour, with the seal already installed if it is separate from the bearing, and put the bearing race in the oven set to 150 C for perhaps 20 minutes (small part won't need as much time to heat up). Be prepared with a suitable piece of PVC pipe and a hammer in case you need it but you probably won't. Take the steering stem out of the freezer and set it on a table, make sure the seal is in the right spot if it isn't integral to the bearing, take the bearing race out of the oven wearing an oven mitt (partly so that you don't burn yourself, partly to minimise the amount of heat it gives back to your hands), make sure the orientation is right (do NOT install it upside down!) and quickly slide it over the steering stem followed by the piece of PVC pipe with which you immediately give the bearing race a whack to seat it. It will most likely drop directly into place and not even need that extra whack.

is the heat from the bearing damage the seal when fully seated?

Or... $24.99 bearing driver from PA
'Comes with different sized drivers to cover different sized bearings.

wNjmxZP.jpg

I used it on my buddy's F800GSA... worked fine.
I really don't think heating/freezing parts in order to make them fit is necessary... I'm sure these things are cold pressed at the factory so why not cold assemble at home..?

Also metal object with gaps in it in microwave makes sparks. Spoon in the microwave is not a big deal, fork in the microwave is bad. Bearing, yikes. Sparks flying between rollers and races/cages is pretty destructive to the ground surfaces.

I really don't think heating/freezing parts in order to make them fit is necessary... I'm sure these things are cold pressed at the factory so why not cold assemble at home..?

Why not make it easier for yourself? Taking advantage of thermal expansion and contraction means no tools required and no banging with a hammer.

The factory does it with a big press with the parts in a fixture because that's the easiest and fastest way to do it on a production line; that doesn't necessarily mean that's the only way to do it or the easiest way to do it at home. They have the machinery but not the time. You have the time but not the machinery.

He's using steam heat :unsure: why wouldn't you just use a steam from a kettle, less chance of destroying your microwave oven.

Watch the video again.
PLEASE notice the bearing is wrapped in a wet cloth. The micro wave energy goes into the water first, as it is the most reactive. Till you boil off the water the temp inside that cloth will be 212F maximum.
Don't boil off all the water.
Try it. Wrap something metal in a wet cloth and throw it in the micro wave.

According to SKF the PREFERRED method to install a bearing is heat one part and cool the other. SKF makes several different bearing heaters, the new ones are induction heaters, and they're making extremely portable induction heaters.

I went to SKF bearing school, and the number one thing they drill into you is NEVER strike a bearing that you want to use.

300C will melt and displace the lubricant.

He's using steam heat :unsure: why wouldn't you just use a steam from a kettle, less chance of destroying your microwave oven.
In the micro wave the cloth is soaked, so the bearing comes in contact with water vapour not steam.
The max temp for water vapour is 212F, steam can be super heated and can be above 212F.

That's why pot sets come with the steamer attachment. Some people thought it was for fish, really it's for bearings.

Personally I like Brians idea of the oven better. Pumping steam through a bearing I want to use doesn't seem like the best plan ever. I guess you could put the bearing in a ziploc bag and then steam it.

In the micro wave the cloth is soaked, so the bearing comes in contact with water vapour not steam.
The max temp for water vapour is 212F, steam can be super heated and can be above 212F.
I don't think you can super heat steam unless you turn the pressure up (eg steam in enclosed space). You are fighting physics if you try.

temperature of steam
You can get steam to 120C at sea level in atmosphere

I'm not saying this microwave thing is a good process, i'm just saying it works.
I use a hot plate and a thermo couple... that way I can cook wienies and beans while I wait for the bearings to cool.

Steam is steam regardless of the source it is hot water vapour :unsure: and holding it over a tea kettle will not create super heated steam.

Back
Top Bottom