Standing by while a Certification Inspection is undertaken | GTAMotorcycle.com

Standing by while a Certification Inspection is undertaken

Merkid

Will qualified dealers allow the bike Owner to stand and review the safety inspection process of a bike?

Car dealers have strict rules that the Owners can't enter the work area when their cars are being repaired, usually for some insurance requirements.

Reason to ask is a Bud asked if he could stand back and watch the mechanic look over his bike. He was told to sit in the wating room area.

Will qualified dealers allow the bike Owner to stand and review the safety inspection process of a bike?

Car dealers have strict rules that the Owners can't enter the work area when their cars are being repaired, usually for some insurance requirements.

Reason to ask is a Bud asked if he could stand back and watch the mechanic look over his bike. He was told to sit in the wating room area.
it's likely standard procedure for all mechanics, insurance liability.

some old timers will likely be more open to this..like Ted Rose.

i would also say that having a very good relationship with your tech could lead to this being a non issue, i was allowed to go to the back of a BMW shop to see my bike on the lift and ask questions directly and review the situation with the tech.

i wouldn't expect this treatment if he didn't know my name from Joe Plumber.

#1 is insurance liability reasons (which is an excuse)
#2 is dealing with ‘have you thought of that? What about that? What are you doing now? Are you sure that’s the issue? Because I think it could be this….

As @Evoex says, it comes to the relationship. I’ve been in shops with the tech going over issues and trying to explain.

I’ve also been told I can’t go back there due to liability issues, and promptly was taken to the shop to discuss something in detail.

If the mechanic is conscientious the process of certifying takes about an hour.
Better to go grab a coffee somewhere IF they're doing as a 'while you wait' job.
We are of course assuming the bike will pass with no additional work - that throws on a whole other layer.

As evo said, I wouldnt expect to be invited into the shop during the process but a relationship can change that. If nothing else, having someone watching and talking means your flat rate job takes much longer. If mech finds something that they are concerned about, I always appreciate a hands-on moment to discuss the issue.

If the mechanic is conscientious the process of certifying takes about an hour.
Better to go grab a coffee somewhere IF they're doing as a 'while you wait' job.
We are of course assuming the bike will pass with no additional work - that throws on a whole other layer.
The last bike I certified never came out of the bed of my truck.

5 minutes.

But I know my mechanic well. He knows my abilities, and that I won't ride a steaming pile of unsafe junk.

I started it strapped in the bed.

He asked me a few questions.

Show him the signals and brake lights.

Brand new tires.

New brakes.

No leaks.

New chain and sprockets.

Done. Wrote me out a safety. Paperwork took longer than the inspection.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The last bike I certified never came out of the bed of my truck.

5 minutes.

But I know my mechanic well. He knows my abilities, and that I won't ride a steaming pile of unsafe junk.

I started it strapped in the bed.

He asked me a few questions.

Show him the signals and brake lights.

Brand new tires.

New brakes.

No leaks.

New chain and sprockets.

Done. Wrote me out a safety. Paperwork took longer than the inspection.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Your mechanic took one helluva chance.
He's supposed to ride it at 30kmh to test brakes and steering.
The garage could lose their ticket to write certs and possibly be fined.
Ask Ted Rosey Toes how many times he's had his plug pulled for dirty safeties.
Do it right or don't do it at all.

No

Every shop is different.

While not M/C related, when I did testing I didn't mind a knowledgeable person observing. If the person started expecting me to explain every test in great detail my mood changed, "I'm here to test, not train you to do my job."

Too many clients wandering around the shop makes it like a club house and efficiency drops. Tools disappear. The bigger the shop the bigger the problem.

Distractions create errors. A mechanic may have a set pattern for a test and if interrupted misses a step.

A lot of mechanics get paid flat rate. I once worked at a dealership that had a sign above the entrance for those like yourself who want to talk to / hover over the mechanics. It read "You're paying the mechanic $125 / hour...talk to them all you want." It was a deterrent for sure...but you'd still get people wanting to talk. The dealership left it up to the mechanic. I didn't mind someone watching me from the outside of the bay in. People get emotional about their vehicles and a good mechanic should have no problem demonstrating to the customer that their car / truck / motorcycle is in good hands. As for safeties, I wouldn't recommend it. Most mechanics have done so many that they can get a feel for a vehicle in minutes. Some will eyeball brakes through the wheel, others will pull two wheels, other's will pull all four wheels and go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb looking for work. The more you watch them, the more you encourage them to go by the book, the more it's going to cost you. General rule of thumb is to find a good mechanic you can trust, go to him (or her) or if at a dealer, you can request him (or her) when making an appointment. Dealership mechanics appreciate being requested.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

General rule of thumb is to find a good mechanic you can trust, go to him (or her) or if at a dealer, you can request him (or her) when making an appointment. Dealership mechanics appreciate being requested.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk
excellent summary. many of my instructor colleagues and friends wrench for a living, imagine sitting there all day in an empty service bay and not getting paid? Happens all the time.

View attachment 60048'
I do enjoy watching Itchy Boots shop visits

That chart makes sense.

I used to work at a dealership once upon a time a long long time ago. Many of the people who would ask to watch are the same ones who seemed like the same uptight bunch who would blow a head gasket if you asked if you could go to their workplace and watch them work for a couple hours first. Total double standard.

Trust the professionals to do the work. If you don't trust, you shouldn't be leaving your motorcycle in their care. Find someone you do trust.
If you just want to learn, plenty of better places for that. I know a guy who makes youtube videos where he pulls out screen shots of factory service manuals and shows you the job step by step while referencing the service manual as you go along... Something like that might be a handy non-obtrusive way to start to dip your toes in wrenching and maintenance.

PS: before anyone gets their panties in a bunch like in the winter riding thread lol, I don't mean You specifically to the OP or anyone else specifically... it's more of a broad-stroke, general "you".

Back
Top Bottom