Stalled...again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stalled...again

argos

Im fairly new to riding and have pretty much stalled in every possible way....im super paranoid especially all the stalling have been happening on my new bike.

Today i stalled my bike when i started my bike then i shifted accidently from Neutral to 1st gear without clutch ...how much damage will this do to my new bike?

Im losing sleep over this, lol

I don't think you can do too much damage on it..
The worst case is killing the clutch, but it requires alot of beating to damage it to the point where it requires a new clutch.
Changing a new clutch is not too expensive i don't think? Less than $500?

I don't think you can do too much damage on it..
The worst case is killing the clutch, but it requires alot of beating to damage it to the point where it requires a new clutch.
Changing a new clutch is not too expensive i don't think? Less than $500?

lol...more like a 100 if you do the work yourself

Im fairly new to riding and have pretty much stalled in every possible way....im super paranoid especially all the stalling have been happening on my new bike...
I can assure you, this will get better! I started riding in March, 2010. I never thought I would be able to ride without stalling. It was very, very discouraging. Now, when I ride through a particular intersection, I smile to myself recalling how many times I stalled there :) Riding is about practice, practice, practice! Have fun and ride safe! Now, on the occasion when I do stall, I try to examine why and learn from it.

You should be happy youre learning how to gear with a wet clutch

You can stall your engine a million times and it'll still be okay.

I would suggest watching sogirice (or something) from youtube on how to drive a manual car. Same concept but you can apply more throttle without burning the clutch (dry clutch only).

Learn where your friction zone is.

[video=youtube;XspmqhVR5w8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XspmqhVR5w8[/video]

Do yourself a favour and if you have the opportunity, get out of the city and practice. Less stress out in the sticks. You'll get it :thumbup:

Sent from my commodore 64 on dial up

Did you do a course?

Did you do a course?

Don't get me wrong. Taking a course is a very good idea. I took one to get my M2. But, one still needs to practice, practice, practice what is learned during the course. Some people are natural born riders. I never imagined I would be riding on highways, or riding over 100/kph. Now I can, and I do. However, I am still very much aware of the fact that I have a lot to learn and master as a motorcycle rider. Weall have to start with baby steps.

Don't get me wrong. Taking a course is a very good idea. I took one to get my M2. But, one still needs to practice, practice, practice what is learned during the course. Some people are natural born riders. I never imagined I would be riding on highways, or riding over 100/kph. Now I can, and I do. However, I am still very much aware of the fact that I have a lot to learn and master as a motorcycle rider. Weall have to start with baby steps.

That is true but you should have the clutch figured out pretty well after the course.

And no, you won't hurt it much. Just don't redline it while very slowly engaging the clutch or you'll burn it up fairly quickly.

Im fairly new to riding and have pretty much stalled in every possible way....im super paranoid especially all the stalling have been happening on my new bike.

Today i stalled my bike when i started my bike then i shifted accidently from Neutral to 1st gear without clutch ...how much damage will this do to my new bike?

Im losing sleep over this, lol

I still stall from time to time. its just practice and you will get it. A good question that i dont see posed is. Is your clutch adjusted properly. On My GS400 after rebuild i was stalling allot cause my cluth wasnt set right.

The reason you are Stalling is most likely because your clutch is adjusted to high on the friction point, meaning that the clutch only engages almost at the end of the the travel radius of your clutch lever. So you start by releasing really slow, but it takes so long that you start opening your hand faster and by the time it reaches the friction point you are going to fast and stalls, not to mention that it's worse when you are on a stress situation like a traffic light. Seen it over and over on new riders, couple of exes used to do the same, once I adjusted the clutch, they got off the line perfectly.

Try adjusting it so it starts engaging almost immediately after you start opening your left hand.

The reason you are Stalling is most likely because your clutch is adjusted to high on the friction point, meaning that the clutch only engages almost at the end of the the travel radius of your clutch lever. So you start by releasing really slow, but it takes so long that you start opening your hand faster and by the time it reaches the friction point you are going to fast and stalls, not to mention that it's worse when you are on a stress situation like a traffic light. Seen it over and over on new riders, couple of exes used to do the same, once I adjusted the clutch, they got off the line perfectly.

Try adjusting it so it starts engaging almost immediately after you start opening your left hand.

^This is most likely why you are stalling so much.

That is true but you should have the clutch figured out pretty well after the course...

Again, some people are natural born riders. Having it figured out and actually putting it into practice, are two different things, in my opinion. Yes, I knew what I was supposed to do not to stall, but the actual coordination took practice. It did not come naturally, to me.

Just don't let go of the clutch until you are absolutely sure you got it, no harm in riding the wet clutch. Then you'll eventually know where the friction point is and you'll let go of that clutch faster.

I still stall from time to time. its just practice and you will get it. A good question that i dont see posed is. Is your clutch adjusted properly. On My GS400 after rebuild i was stalling allot cause my cluth wasnt set right.

Thank you for admitting this. And very good point about the clutch. If i remember correctly, that was the problem on my first bike, a GS400e.

... not to mention that it's worse when you are on a stress situation like a traffic light. Seen it over and over on new riders...

Yes! When I first started riding, I hated having to stop at red lights for fear of stalling when the light turned green. Even today, there are times when I will tell myself "don't stall, don't stall" :) Especially if I have to start from a stop on an incline. And an incline with a curve to the right? Hate those! lolol...

As mentioned, keep practicing. Get into an empty lot and practice repeated starts. It'll come.

Don't worry about hurting the bike; you won't.

And don't worry when you do stall on the street; keep calm, re-start the bike and carry on (Chive pun there).

I went to take off from a stop last week and didn't realize I'd left it in 2nd. I stalled. I've been riding since 1988. It happens.

Elevating the throttle a bit will help also. A small amount of steady throttle and then "put" the clutch out. Don't just let it out. Clutch is controlling the speed at this point so put it out slowly.

Back
Top Bottom